Things MMA has spoiled for Me

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It DOES get sloppy. There's a definite difference between "not learned properly" and "half assed swing".

2. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Why? I guess you could argue it is unbalanced, but it is pretty effective (I assume you are talking about something like Roy Nelson's knockout of Cheick Kongo). As a short stocky guy I tend to throw it like that, but I try to follow it with a left hook to reposition my stance back to something more functional. The overhand rights that end with the fighters staring at the ground are usually done by shorter fighters when there is a significant height disadvantage. When you are fighting someone of a similar height it doesn't seem to happen as much.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Didn't see that fight. It just annoys me that its so high percentage and it doesn't look very flashy, it just looks like someone swinging.

4. Kave

Kave Lunatic

here is the KO: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EImSfBfo9vc"]UFC 159: Roy Nelson KO Cheick Kong - YouTube[/ame]
    I can see where you are coming from, I love it though. I am always stuck against guys who are much taller, and using the over-hand right as a counter to the jab is great. Even if it doesn't land it means my opponent will really think twice about throwing out the jab. I guess it looks a bit thuggish, but it really does take good timing and technique to execute. As a jab counter you need to start slipping and throwing the overhand right just as your opponent begins to throw his jab, start too early or too late and you are going to catch a face full of fist.

Here is what it looks like when executed well:
    [​IMG]

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Something I love about mma.

It's a fight baby, raw naked aggression and a good strength and conditioning programme can carry you a long way. It doesn't matter if the other guy is 'technically superior' if he can't handle the aggression.

6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I'm 50/50 on this one. But then I like seeing matches where the striking is more technical. Which you don't often get when one guy just looks to wail on the other.

Like the Jessica Rakowscky/Julianna Pena match. Loved watching Jessica's boxing skills, but she just couldn't deal with Julianna's cardio and aggro.