Thieves World Anthologies

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Talion_uk, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Talion_uk

Talion_uk Valued Member

Having just dusted off my Thieves World books for a re-read in the near future, I was wondering if there were any book series that operated on a similar basis to the Thieves World anthologies.

The basis was as follows:

1. Stories submitted from different authors* and set in a shared city/world.
    2. Each authors character(s) could interact with other authors character(s) and give their own interpretation of them based on character interaction, but killing of another authors creation was not permitted!

In addition to the 12 anthologies, I've also got six spin off books by various anthology authors. There are probably more books in the series that I've not managed to pick up.

Quality of the individual stories varied greatly, however it's the concept combined with the setting that won me over.

* Authors included Lynn Abbey, Robert Asprin, Robin Bailey, Marion Zimmer Bradley, John Brunner, C J Cherryh, John DeCles, Christine DeWees, David Drake, Diane Duane, Philip J Farmer, Joe Haldeman, Duane McGowen, Vonda n McIntyre, Chris Morris, Janet Morris, Andrew Offutt, Diana Paxson, Mark Perry, A E van Vogt

Off topic, Watching the new Game of Thrones TV series made me pick up the books. Can't believe I've not read them before!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give. I should add that the setting does not have to be fantasy. The only criteria is it's a good read!

All the best.

Ross

2. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Ah. This brings back memories! :)

3. rivend

rivend Valued Member

It is so hard to find thieves world books I really loved the ones I have read.The series or books I find most similar to thieves world is books wrote by Terry Goodkind and the TSR books you can do a search to see if this is similar to what you are looking for.

4. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Check out old school Sword & Sorcery anthologies that came out from the 60's through the 80's like Heroic Visions, Echoes of Valor, etc. Not in the same city, but still the same kind of vibe. And it's from a time when writers can actually y'know, write. Karl Edward Wagner = distilled awesomeness.

Best regards,

-Mark