These kids today - no respect for others

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Jang Bong, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

OK - now I've caught your attention (Hi girls :)) - this isn't a rant against all young people. Honest!

I've read a lot of intelligent and interesting posts from our younger members, and I think that too many 'generalizations' are shouted about young people. This post is to find their opinions about Respect vs. Good Times.

Our Sunday morning Tang Soo Do class was cancelled this week - because the hall had been used by an under-16's "supervised" party. (Oh how we would like to meet the supervisors :D)

No light bulbs or toilet roll in any of the 3 toilet rooms - with a broken off seat in the disable toilets (how :confused: ) Taps in ladies toilets left on in order to flood the floor. A dozen cig butts in a no smoking building. But the worst was the floor.

Mud - pop - crisps - gum - every inch of the floor was sticky beyond belief. It was said that there was to be no glasses at the party - broken glass against one wall (looks like only 1 glass, but still). And YES, ours is a barefoot art.

A few of us stayed to help our instructor start the clean-up (for the other users of the hall coming in the afternoon) - but I've had an e-mail from him today saying class is OFF until further notice, as there is another party scheduled for this Saturday. It turns out that our hall is the only one that will accept groups of younger people (you don't say :()

So guys and girls - I know you have dedication to your arts, and respect within a MA environment. Do you see that creating more general respect and thoughfullness for others? If so, do you see yourself as a good influence on your peers? Either by persuading them not to do something, or simply not following them into doing something wrong or stupid.

You see - I try to be very fair minded - but if I am actually beging a deadoldboringoldgoatthatcannotstandkidsenjoythemselvesandshouldstayathomeandshutup - then feel free to tell me :D

2. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Where were the adult chaperones? Surely they were some adults there? How about sending a clean up bill to the parents of these children? A high, outrageous one....

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

That won't do, man. Sometimes parents have no control over their kids, or they just don't give a damn (basically, the bad ones). What has to be done, is the kids need to be found, and then, well... you've seen Godfather, right?

PL

4. Jang Bong

I was going to ask our instructor if WE could go to the party this Saturday - hey look, no trouble. Then we could invite last weeks 'supervisors' to our training session :D :D :D

5. Mu Ryuk

Mu Ryuk Banned Banned

ARGH!!

I do not think there is enough room on this website for me to express how much I hate the vast majority of my own generation. I have serious problems with people my age drinking, doing drusg (though this goes for people of any age), having sex or doing things close enough to it...no need to go into detail here...I have a problem with sixteen year old girls dressing up like they're going out for a one night stand, dirty dancing with some twenty-one year old guy who will buy them drinks and then getting laid. Frighteningly, I know girls as young as TWELVE who do this. Not even in their frigging TEENS!!! ARGH!

Sorry, got off track there. Those kids need to get their @5535 in their and clean up. NOW. And their parents had better do something about it to.

God my generation sucks...

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I know exactly what you mean, man. And people are surprised that I have anti-social tendencies. =/ I'm sorry, I'd rather be alone than in a room full of morons. (unfortunately, high-school is mandatory :()

PL

7. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Yup, I have feel like that too. Except I don't think my generatin sucks. In fact I rather like the guys I grew up around. It's the cats that shoot up spots that dissapoint me.
    As for drinking, dirty dancing and having sex ... what can you do. Personally I like to break it down on the dancefloor every now and again, I don't drink unless I'm really bored, and as for having sex ... some stuff just doesn't seem straight when you're young.

8. Clubsport19

Clubsport19 Valued Member

If there are rules for the building then the owners should take action, like keeping the bond money for starters. There isn't much you can do about it though. Every party i've been to plays out the same way. Drunks by 8pm. Gatecrashers by 9pm. Fights by 10pm. Cops by 11pm.

If i were your instructor I'd either find a new joint even if it's further out or talk to the dicks running the place and ask them "wtf?"!

Oh ye, that supurvision is BS. I've been to heaps of "supervised" parties, where it's "invites only". Supervised party means ask your older brother to bring mates and stand at the door. Usually turns out to be a higher rate of brawls when that happens.

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, the parents need to be in there chained side-by-side to their child, cleaning up the mess together.

I see three groups of people at fault, but I have some doubt about one of them:
    (1) the owner of this place for being so dumb as to let the teens have a party (though maybe he didn't fully know about the party; maybe he got scammed)
    (2) the teens, for obvious reasons
    (3) the parents, for raising their children to be monsters

10. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Many children are annoying and selfish, which is mainly down to a combination of an inability to empathise, laziness and lack of experience with reponsibility. Adults can also be annoying for the same reasons. I do not, however, feel this is a modern problem - it was probably true of cavemen too. There is often a temptation to imagine that 'in my day, kids had more respect', but it is merely wishful thinking. Perhaps children have more rights to abuse today, but that simply means that their particular brand of irritation is different from that of previous generations.

JMO.

11. Zenn Ryusaki

Zenn Ryusaki New Member

This is why the ASBY was created, i just wish the government would hurry up and put it else where than just in certain places, because there are alot of abusive youths everywhere, and it is giving people bad view, such as a old lady looking upon all teenager because one or two threw rocks at her at the side of the street, just because those one or two, one person now looks down to all teenager and they aint all the same, it goes for anything these day, martial arts and what not... It is stupid, i am voting for the government to put ASBY laws everywhere, because it is only fair upon those that are innocent in this matter

:(

12. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

As an old fogey (45) with one teen and two more coming up, I tend to agree. What I've seen and heard is that teens are bored, over and over, they are bored. So with proper supervision and enough to do, like MARTIAL ARTS, it might help with the problem.

13. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I tend to agree, they need something constructive to do. I have a teen daughter and I shake my head when I hear some of the stories about what kids do for "fun". That is why I am thankful my daughter and her friends have their MA. They socialize there and they know that if they ever pull that kind of crap not only are their parents going to take a chunk out of them but they will also lose a very enjoyable activity as their instructors would never put up with it. Unfortunately, if they don't have the right leadership in MA they just turn into bigger bullies! They need instructors who show respect for others and their beliefs as well. Too many instructors get into style bashing and insults and what kind of example is that?

So if you are going to use anything like MA as a guide for your teen, make sure you have an instructor who is going to role model mature, responsible, respectful behaviour!!!

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

You know those crazy Canuck kids, chasing bears, harassing seals, what'll they do next..... :D

But your right. The boys are bored here, so now they are going to take a sign language class.

15. Jang Bong

I seem to have more adults than youngsters coming back (no problem as long as it doesn't turn into a 'damn the kids' thread - not my intention) - so what do you think about our instuctor and his dealing with under-16 students?

He gets reports on behaviour from their parents, and both behaviour and academic progress from their schools. If there are any problems - he won't teach them.

I'm a visitor at a shokotan karate class that is mainly kids - and it's not a case that their behaviour wouldn't be tolerated in our class.... it wouldn't even be thought of, as the junior members have respect for their art and their teacher.

16. Dr NinjaBellydance

Dr NinjaBellydance What is your pleasure sir

Sorry, yet another 'non-youngster' ;)
    I'm not sure I agree about vetoing kids based on 'academic progress'. So if you get C's instead of A's we wont teach you? I guess the behaviour thing is pretty relevant, as it's likely to reflect on behaviour in the class, but what does how you are doing at school academically have to do with your MA instructor?
    IMHO :rolleyes:

17. Graifox

Graifox New Member

Okay i am a youngster *shudder* and the fact is i agree. The majority of people my age are whiney immature arrogant gits. The fact that they are given money by there parents to indulge in stupidity is beyond my belief.

I would give my eye teeth for the stuff some people in my class at college get given by their parents.

But then again i see nothing wrong with having a good time if you earn it.

Dilema.... not.

Respect is all thats required....

:bang:

stupid people my age...

ahem.... any way....

I think its a great idea... although schools do haev a tendancy to overlook issues like reactions to bullying so a discusion with parents is sometimes a good thing on things like that...

I got a detion once for passing out on the bus... long story. :D

Did i mention high school is evil....

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  18. Weasel

Weasel New Member

Young poster replying to the thread.

Yes, our generation is immature. What else do you expect? We are YOUNG, and we only follow in the tracks of every other generation which has treaded this path before us.

Our parents were no different when they were teenagers, in fact I would go so far as to say that the older generations were far more wild than the current generation of high schoolers; however it seems that the baby boom generation really got into causes- whether or not these causes were worthwhile is open to argument, but the fact remains that when my parents would have been organizing protests, my male friends are putting on eyeliner, tearing their pants, and getting into shouting matches over who is more goth. (answer: neither is goth- both listen to rap.)

Think about this: While they did make a bloody mess, they're just kids, and they could be doing a lot worse. Whatever keeps them off the streets, I say, but then I didn't have to clean it up.

19. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

There are still goths? Thought that little tribe died out a while ago. Ah well - blacks a nice colour. :p

20. renshinkai

renshinkai New Member

Oh God, they're still truly alive and kicking. Or slitting, as it may be.

Well, I'm 13, and a hell of a lot of people my age are immature twats, to put it bluntly. I just ignore them, and let them get on with their own secluded lives that will never achieve anything. Except, of course, when they find it a dash to their ego that I do karate, and try and do something about it. But yes, I ignore them as much a spossible. To be honest, I hates the company of people in my year. I prefer the company of 15-16 yr olds. Mature ones, that is.