thekuntawman question?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Crucible, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Hi kuntawman,
    Would you mind sharing some of your family history and where you line of kuntaw comes from?

2. thekuntawman

thekuntawman Valued Member

my kuntaw comes from my grandfather and my uncle. they learned from my great grandfather. i never cared about the history of kuntaw until i saw a magazine article by lito lanada's people, who said the art is from china. which is one reason i was curious about chinese martial arts. the two arts are nothing alike. we do not have a history of the art past my own family, and i do not know how far it goes back.

my granpa studied from his dad, and later exchanged with some silat people, he never learned from other kuntaw/kuntao people. i do know a few langka from those other styles, but our style does not have any. most of the martial artist my grandfather played with do eskrima, which is why we have arnis, but it is treated as a separate art.

our kuntaw does use weapons, but our weapon is the long stick (48 inches) and the heavy blade and the thin blade. our people spar with those weapons, including the spear, which is important, because most styles that do "other" weapons do not fight with them, only prearranged strike and counter.

i did study silat with another master, but i do not give his name to anyone but my own students, sorry.

3. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

No problem, thanks!