The wrestling cradle in nogi

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by icefield, Aug 3, 2021.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

This is something I have been playing around with a fair bit in no gi.

Ify ou can get either a far or near side cradle it's a great way to limit their ability to move and set up both chokes, backtakes.

Of course setting it up is the hard part.
    But as a butterfly guard player I find it disconcerting how easy it is to shut down butterfly with this move.

As a bonus it's a great way to set up your leglock game

axelb, Mushroom and Dead_pool like this.
  2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I use the cradle a lot, mostly just as something to stop the opponent moving/scrambling, whilst I figure out what to do...all the while theyre in an uncomfortable position.

Usually, it just gives me an advantage in the scramble as I control the initial movement. Sometimes I get the mount, mostly go for a darce if going for a sub.

axelb, Dead_pool and Dunc like this.
  3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Near side cradles are great for mounted guillotines and even anacondas as well as darcs
    far side cradles if the arms trapped in can lead to arm triangles if you bait them into kicking the leg that's trapped straight
    Leglocks come around by window wiping your bottom leg over their bottom leg shelving their top leg on your top leg and sliding into them when it's a near side cradle,

far side simply step between their legs shelve top leg on your knee and throw your outside leg over

Separating their legs can be the hard part but walking towards their head whilst on your toes in the cradle helps separate

axelb, Mushroom and Dead_pool like this.
  4. Mushroom

I also just realised I got Melanson's Cradle of Filth series off BJJ Fanatics :D

axelb likes this.
  5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Mushroom likes this.
  6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

never used this before, but as a lot of my common passes lead me to a leg weave from knee slide pass when they knee shield I thought I try this out, and today I did.

I like it :D
    I didn't end in the arm triangle, but was able to get across to side control on far side to knee on belly.
    So I'll probably play with this a bit more in conjunction with my usual knee slide/leg weave style passing.

Mushroom likes this.
  7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Enjoy :)
    It works very well with leg drags as well, and is a great way to attack both knee shield and butterfly as their correct movement actually helps you because connecting the elbow knee and not giving you any room in the space between their elbow and knee brings their head and leg close together :)

If they resist or aren't too close together just remember to always bring the head to the leg not try to move their legs to their head, it simply doesn't move lol

At the very least it makes them want to open up to escape or stop the cradle which gives you the room to pass, move to side control or mount

axelb likes this.
  8. Mushroom

Yup! Far side cradle > KoB > armbar.

axelb likes this.
  9. axelb

I went to KoB to Smount armbar :D so I probably need to work on transition better, but it's going to be a nice addition.

Probably helps I have 6ft10" uragutan arm span, so I can get round to the neck without much effort.

Mushroom likes this.
  10. Mushroom

6'10!? Just pull guard and do triangles. :D:D

axelb likes this.
  11. axelb

yeah I thought the same, for whatever reason I struggled to get triangles... until recently :D I think this in part due to having chunky thighs - so I figured out with persistence variations and managed to pull them off.
    Also started looking at D'arces over the pandemic a lot due to my arm length, but haven't pulled any off in sparring yet.