The weapon graveyard?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by mewtwo55555, Aug 9, 2014.

1. mewtwo55555

mewtwo55555 Valued Member

So I was doing a martial arts form. My friend came up and wanted to do some simple moves so I showed him. he had a wooden walking stick and I had a dull padded machete. I showed him some blocks and such. anywho the wooden cane got really dinged up I cant really use it as a walking stick anymore. This isn't the first time I have had weapons break from hitting them and such. but I was surprised at how easily the walking stick got dinged up.

Do you guys have any stories on weapons breaking?

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Sort of. Once my favourite stick, Stick, I use in FMA cracked and splinted. I've gone through a lot of sticks, but this one was the best, it just felt right in my hand. I taped it up but over the course of time and despite numerous attempts to save him, the stick basically fell apart. It was a fine stick, it felt like it a friend to me. We had some great training moments together. My instructor said rattan makes good fire wood, but the thought of sending Stick to a fiery grave doesn't sit well with me.

Stick is now retired to the back of a storage room along with all sorts of old magazines, shoes, bags, tools and god knows what else. I think he is happy by those magazines.

I miss that stick. :cry:

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Strangely I have a stick that I just can't get rid of.

It's a really nice close noded lightweight stick that is really just held together with tape.

I now just hold the taped end and use it for twirling.

Strange that you can't get rid of a cheap bit of equipment that can be easily replaced for a few pounds.

It's the stick at 2:30 in this video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPoxSur3mtI"]Eskrima Stick Repair - YouTube[/ame]

4. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

My first bokken (Red Oak) met its end against me, via the kendo club president. We were having a little bit of fun (and got a little carried away) and I learned a valuable lesson in wearing bogu (or, rather why I should have been) as it broke hitting my hand (thumb in particular). I still have that bokken here, and may glue and tape it together again at some point (I've repaired it before).

It also enjoys being referrenced as the "broken bokken" or just the "bro-ken"

5. frownland

frownland 【ツ】

I still have my first pair of sticks, pretty much only held together by tape. I use 'em as the weapon equivalent of focus pads.
    My teacher broke a supposedly super-tough hardwood stick with a casual strike at a nearby tree, and turned the broken bits into dulo-dulos.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Either dont use a walking stick against a machete or keep a stockpile of walking sticks