The Warrior/Martial Artist & Weapon connection

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Black dragon, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Black dragon

Black dragon New Member

I seem to think that there is a certain connection between a warrior and his/her(Have to be politically correct) weapon. Its like the weapon is an extention of that fighter/warrior/martial artists' being. My reasons for these assumptions are:

1. I remember losing my 3-section staff(home made) I felt like a part of me died.
    2.I'm usually uncomfortable training or doing forms with someone else's weapons
    3.Two days ago my homemade nunchuks broke after 6 years of faithful service. Same feeling as that in number 1 above came over me.

So what do you guys feel about my anecdotes?????? Are my hunches correct?

2. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

well there is always a connection with your weapon such as when people train with a certian weapon always you can feel the hot spot where your hand goes and so can other people.

3. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Depends. I'm still a believer in Musashi's advice about "having no favorite weapons." I just prefer to pull my own weight and use my own stuff. However, you do get a certain "feel" for your own weapons, especially over time.

Do prefer shooting my own firearms or even bows. That way I know where the zero is. :)

4. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

I think you should pony up some dough and get some real weapons.

5. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

seeing as I only really do weaponless work I would consider my arms, legs, ect my weapons so yes, I suppose that I am somewhat attatched to my weapons.

6. K_Coffin

K_Coffin New Member

Mind Aflame, remember Musashi's advice. Don't get too attached to those arms and legs. It might even be beneficial to your training if you got rid of them for awhile, just to make sure you aren't relying on being too comfortable with them.

7. acrawford

acrawford Ki-Ken-Tai no Ichi

I agrea that one does develop a certain bond with a weopon over time. The way it feels, the balance of it, etc........

But I would also agrea that one should not refuse to use another weopon just because it is not yours or your favorite.