The 'violence geek' - thoughts on this article?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Smaug97, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Violence Geeks

Hi guys sorry if I've posted this in the wrong area- i found this article whilst surfing the Internet and am finding it very interesting, has anybody had experience dealing with this kind of demographic?
    I wasn't aware it was a thing but i might have just not have bumped into these types of people in training.
    I do however wholeheartedly agree with his stance on that,'wasp' knife for self defence, i mean a knife is better than your hands if the other guy is armed, but i could think of at least 3 things around my house that would be better, all of them a darn sight cheaper too! and not purpose built weapons that are going to bias a jury/law enforcement against me.

What do you guys think about this article? Do you agree or do you have a different perspective on it?

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Most men in their late teens and early 20's have something of this about them. The desire to prove themselves and dominate those they feel are above them in the social hierarchy. White Knight or revenge fantasies, that kind of thing.

The ones who spend money on it keep the RBSD industry afloat. Especially products that promise no fitness or strength requirements. For the same reason they buy weapons that they feel will make up for their lack of intent, grit, strength and fitness. It's the same as obese gun nuts saying that if they were attacked by a knife wielding cage fighter on PCP at close quarters they would "just shoot them".

It's a strange feedback loop of fear and denial.

Smaug97 likes this.
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The age thing is quite relevant. One of the things I posted a while back was just generally wondering why young males often posted (on my social media admittedly) street fights and HAOV and assault rather than watching trained professionals do things at a much higher level. I would imagine these kids would fall into this category of "Violence Geeks".

Dead_pool, Smaug97 and David Harrison like this.
  4. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Regarding the age component i have to say when reading the article i immediately pictured someone in their early 20s. I believe someone on this site referred to the late teens/20s as rutting age for young men, i think it's just a shame that the people who buy these weapons can't find a better outlet in an actual club- that doesn't pander to their fantasy that is.

David Harrison likes this.
  5. David Harrison

Oh, and thanks for reminding me of Marc MacYoung's site. There's some interesting articles on there.

Incidentally, this is the advert that appeared for me in this thread :D

[​IMG]

6. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

And there I was thinking it was a picture of David in the advert :p

Simon likes this.
  7. David Harrison

I can teach you some dirty moves; they aren't applicable to self defence but they do involve ending in 3-5 seconds.