The Validity of a no-handed low spin-kick.

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by hwarang cl, Jan 5, 2012.

1. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Just curious, has anyone developed their low spin-kick to where they can do it no-handed? Also if doing it no-handed, affects the power generated? Has anybody been taught to do so ..? etc....

2. MUSOOLJOHN

MUSOOLJOHN AKA KUKSOOLJOHN

My flexability wont even let me do a " no kneed low spin kick"

3. Shibby!

Shibby! Valued Member

I do mine no-handed sometimes.

Power..... i get a good deal of power through it. Probably around the same as with hands.

Flexibility may be an issue for some i guess. I just blast it as hard as i can like i would a normal one and no hands are needed :)

Was not taught this way, it just developed i guess (although i have never done it on my knees). I was trying to smash things harder and harder and it eventually turned into what it is now. I sort of jump/drop into it, the rotation gives me enough power to get right back up again. One of those kicks you cant do slowly.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  4. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

one of our school owners does his without his foot touching or hands touching, but i would attribute all of that to core strength. the force of kick shouldnt change with or without hands, as the power comes from the spinning part(centrifugal?centripital?) and swinging the leg through the target. the only way i see a hand on the ground hurting your speed and power is if you touch ground too early you will slow the spin for a little balance.

as for myself, i only use low spin when when my partner is telegraphing a shoulder movement and sliding out their rear leg. it's more efficient to modify jok bang-uh sul #1 for roundhouses and front kicks.

5. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

How low is the target you guys are aiming at in these no-handed variants? I ask because I have always found it rather easy to kick at knee or calf level without touching my hands to the ground, but I was always taught that it's ankle level [malleolus] where you are supposed to blast THROUGH the target (thus toppling your opponent). I'm not sure I can convey the concept, but there's a *pumping* action where your shoulders must get VERY close to the ground in order to effect the pump, and if dropping down quickly from a standing posture, I'd rather be safe than sorry (you don't want to accidentally bump or graze your head against the ground, now do you?). This pumping action helps to add a burst of speed to your rotation, especially since you should be squatting down on your heel for a proper low spin kick. Naturally all bets are off if not going this low, and I personally see no reason in such a case that you would need to counterbalance your arcing leg with your body, which is partly how the pump I mentioned generates power. According to the idea which advocates touching your hands to the ground, then you might as well do what I do, and that's to push off to the side as hard as you can (i.e. push to your left if kicking with the right leg & vice-versa). This action serves to add instant momentum to your rotation, helping your torso to move as fast as your leg (that counterbalance thing I referred to).

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention that the way I originally learned Maek Chagi #15, was to do a modified low spin kick (i.e. a "half" spin kick). Since the target is the side of the knee, namely Yang Neung Cheon; GB-34 [양능천], the idea is to RETRACT the kicking foot after hitting your target, allowing the knee of your support leg to touch the ground (actually resting quite a bit of your weight on it) which in turn can then garner more strength through your hip (it also helps you to be more precise in aiming your kick, since the idea is a controlled attack as opposed to a devastating bombardment - anyone ever hear of a spin kick being called a "tornado" kick? hehe).

Anyway, that my 2¢ on the matter.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  6. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

but when retracting the leg isnt there a greater chance of te opponent collapsing on your leg? our legs are our bread and butter in tkma... wouldnt wanna risk it.

is the ppoint you mention in the middle of the knee crease, sir? i know from maek chagi (#4 for our family), dwi eui bok su, ji ap sul that 'ui ju' is a great target, but ive never learned the one you speak of

7. unknown-KJN

The point you mentioned, SsangKall, is wi jung [위중], Bladder-40 (alternately BL-54) and its name means "center of the crease" (as that's where it's located). I believe the first time it's encountered in the curriculum is with KBS #2 & KBS #9 (the kick on both of these techniques is aimed at this point, the former a stomp kick, the latter a hook kick). However it is seen again in maek chagi #3.

The point I mentioned is the *classical* reference for attacking the knee laterally, just as the one you mentioned is for attacking this joint posteriorly. As I already mentioned, yang neung cheon is the target in maek chagi #15. I was just trying to clarify how the low spin kick that's currently taught is somewhat different than the way I originally learned this set of techniques. And while I'm at it, I might as well mention that the point used for a medial attack to the knee is hyeol hae [혈해] or Spleen-10 (maek chagi #4), while a frontal attack is observed with dok bi [독비], Stomach-35 (maek chagi #2). ;)

8. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

o man i thought #2 was jok sam ni

9. Shibby!

Shibby! Valued Member

I aim for just below the knee.....

But i have/had been working on a board break with the board just sitting on the ground on its end and breaking that. So guess thats at ankle level......... sucess ratio is quite low with that though.

Probably because every low spin kick i have ever done has been aimed at roughly calf area. mae chagi 15 area.

10. unknown-KJN

11. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

I did it a lot in my younger years before my knee injuries...Master White can still do it. I see him throw one every once in a while...especially in the short stick forms...and it's low - no hands no dragging the foot either. Cool move.