The Ultimate Guide to Training Resources!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ad McG, Sep 20, 2005.

1. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I recently bought Beyond Brawn, only read a small amount so far, but seems very good and money well spent. Probably got plenty with its 500 pages for the near future, but I was going to buy Dinosaur training as well. I read about the German guy in it that was deadlifting 727 lb, but with one hand!!! :D

Although I can't find anywhere to buy it from? :confused:

2. lordazazel

lordazazel Valued Member

Great article, well done! :) I just wanted to know if you recommended any of BILL PHILLIPS' books? Or CHARLES POLIQUIN for that matter? I have read articles from both of them in magazines like Muscle Media and they seemed to know their stuff, but haven't checked out their "Body For Life" or "Poliquin's Principles" books respectively. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Charles Poliquin is a truly amazing coach. Bill Philips is one that must be avoided at all costs! Go and search the t-nation.com forums for more on Body for life :D

4. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Herman Groener did the 727 lb. DL with 2 fingers or some craziness like that. But anyways, here's the site where you can get Dinosaur Training.

http://brookskubik.com/

5. lordazazel

lordazazel Valued Member

Thanks for the reply Ad, I enjoy reading your contributions to the forum. I don't post that much, but I do read the board every day and have found a lot of good tips on here from you and the other moderators. Cheers! :) I would however like to ask your thoughts on the whole Bill Phillips debate....

I did his "Body For Life" challenge about four years ago, after buying the book. Althought it didn't do a great deal for me in terms of moving forward with my training (in fact, as an experienced athlete, I actuall went BACKWARDS :rolleyes: ), it could be argued that to a beginner, the program could still prove quite useful.

While I've read your recommended pages on "T-Nation" and agree with much that was said (ie. that Phillips is first and foremost a ruthless and very clever businessman, out to line his own pockets), there is no denying that the scheme convinced A LOT of people in the US and the UK to get their backsides into the gym and make that life-changing decision to get in the best shape of their lives.

So has his OVERALL contribution and legacy in H+F been a bad one, in the grander scheme of things? I mean, you could argue that there is no way in hell he himself would be following the exact routine set out in his book (only a fool would believe his every word and note how he plugs EAS supplements at every given opportunity :rolleyes: ), but he knew what he was doing by targeting the middle-aged husbands and working mom's market.

Whichever way you look at it, his book was a credible stepping stone for many beginners. Then again, on the other hand maybe it did just as much damage, by feeding misinformation to many experienced trainers who tried to step up a level. Discuss....

6. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Thanks Ghost, looks like I will have to order it from America. Can't seem to find anywhere in the UK that sells it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  7. Ad McG

You can get it from the London Kettlebells shop IIRC.

Lordazazel - I agree, but when you think about it there are groups like weight watchers who have an equal if not far greater effect - it doesn't mean they are that great. Like you said, credit should be given for it being a start or something that supports those people who need it, but it is in no way for anyone even half serious about training and being healthy.

8. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Oops, forgot you're in the UK... O well, Adam has you covered then....:D

9. lordazazel

lordazazel Valued Member

Yes Ad, I agree. As I said, looking at the training routine he advocates in the "BFL" book, it may be OK for a couch potato who hasn't exercised in years (if EVER), but for a half-way serious trainer....?

What I'd like to hear your opinion on is this though: How do you rate EAS and MET-RX supplements, in relation to other products on the market? I say they are very over-hyped and only have their huge market share because of their effective marketing practices, rather than any miracle of science.

10. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

The man has us all covered! :D

Thanks Ad! :)

11. Ad McG

EAS products are supposedly okay, but like many including met-rx, they are ridiculously over-priced and over-hyped. Money is definitely better spent elsewhere.

12. Raven927

Raven927 Valued Member

Thanks for the great info dude finnaly found good websites.

13. daedalus01

daedalus01 New Member

i would but i live in aus, so would it take a long time to get to me?

14. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Yeah! Like healthier food choices. :D

15. Ad McG

1. How is this related to this thread?
    2. How is that considered fast? Looks like a bunch of lame slaps to me. Manabimashoman anyone? :Angel: :D

16. tkdmusclerock

tkdmusclerock New Member

Not that he needs defending, but...

I kind of like Bruce Lee's weight training routine; it's thorough and time-efficient. I can knock it out in 45 minutes. Leaves me feeling invigorated, not burnt to a crisp! It's not perfect, but it's a decent training split for people short on time. Probably better for maintenance than strength building, though.
    As for Bill Phillips, I don't know or care what his motivation is for BFL but I doubt the more hyped winners got in shape following BFL to the letter. I think it is an excellent beginner strength training split.
    I'm not exactly a disciple, but I am a fan of Pavel Tsatsouline's work. Really good dynamic stretching/flexibility drills. Save money; get Pavel's kettlebell DVDs and do the drills with a 35 lb dumbbell. Not quite the same, but like I said I'm not exactly a disciple.
    Try all kinds of things. Give them a fair trial (3-4 weeks unless they are obviously ineffective/dangerous/dumb). Lots of methods are effective. To use a bodybuilding analogy, Arnold Schwarzenegger trained 4 hours a day; Mr. Universe winner Mike Mentzer trained about 3 hours a week. Both developed outstanding physiques. They're both right. Which system is effective for you?

17. 325irollin

325irollin New Member

Bruce Lee was amazing. Do not think for one second that you are anywhere near what he was. :yeleyes:

18. Ad McG

Do not think for a second that he was any kind of amazing health or fitness genius either. "Fit" he may have been, but his methods are now throughly out-dated and many of his recommendations are in fact inappropriate for the goals they were meant.

19. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

Hey guys, long time no see :p

Now, does ANYONE have an ETA on sommers book? I still have not heard anything about its release date.

20. Ad McG

He emailed me a while back and said release was imminent, but that was about 9 months or so ago. I would forget about it, then be happy when it gets released :D

Maybe I should make some additions to this list... hmmm.