The Top 10 Post Workout Nutrition Myths

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Prophet, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  2. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Nice posts, although some things i dont understand

We have a 24 hr window? yet they emphasize that we need to have 2 'fast' working whey hydrolate shakes. This theory seems flawed.
    Apart from that seems an ok article, i have a pwo shake and then ppwo meal an hour later, so i think im still safe even with there so called new evidence, better to be safe then sorry.

thats the bad thing about weightlifting world, very few things are accepted as fact

3. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

wow that is pretty surprising, and does conflict with alot of the other authors of that website, im also interested in seeing what they will say.

4. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

It's an interesting article but #8 that focuses on amino acid supplementation...well, in my phys book it cites multiple studies that show pure amino acid supplementation does nothing to improve recovery rate or increase training performance. I'll have to take this article to a couple of my professors and have their go at it.

I can also tell you that at this years ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) conference there were multiple studies presented supporting fast acting carbs post-workout to promote recovery.

It's interesting that he cites a study by Ivy about carbs and endurance training which is directly going against a new study (I'll have to find it) that he published going against consuming fast acting carbs post-endurance-workout. There were also numerous studies at the ACSM conference going against using high levels of carbs immediately post-workout relating to endurance work.

5. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Never mind the myths discussed what wbout the pic before #5!!!!

I think that the problem is that there are too many theories, and we should listen to them all then forget them all and just try things out and finds what works for you.

6. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Indeed that pic, or the girl showing off her biceps! :love:

I have learnt a lot about what works from other people and also what works for myself. On the othr hand its impossible to know what the results would have been if you hadn't been on such a supplement during that period of training etc, so I still feel theres so much I don't know!

Is there any good books that cover training/nutrition?

7. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I thought it was fairly interesting but nothing amazing, no "myth busting" revelations IMO. I've been reading quite a bit on avantlabs.com, they've got really advanced forums there and boy do they do their research. Most of them seem to advocate eating oats and whey both before and after training, without the insulin spike - they say an insulin spike is not needed PWO if you have a good low GI meal 90-120 mins before the workout. A chap on myprotein.co.uk who uses avantlabs a lot told me that it's because insulin is not rate limiting, but protein synthesis is.

8. blessed_samurai

Adam,

Are you familiar if uncooked oats are digestable as well as cooked oats?

9. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

As far as I've heard, it's comparable. I've read where some people put uncooked oats into the blender along with MRP shakes, hoping that by chopping the oats, they'll get digested faster, but...that sounds a bit unlikely. Plus, that's kind of what teeth are for. :D

10. blessed_samurai

Hmmm....I know Cardoza does this for his PWO (oats and protein) and he is strong. So, obviously eating oats and protein PWO will make you strong. :D

11. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

:D

The site where I get my protein from does ultra fine uncooked oats so you can bung em in shakes and not have it taste uber-gritty. Good idea IMO.

12. Colucci

He also wears shoes sometimes. And he's strong. So I think I'm going to wear shoes sometimes, to make myself strong. :p (sorry, bro, couldn't resist)

On a related note, I believe Waterbury and Berardi advocate taking your PWO shake soon after training, and then following up with a solid food protein + carb meal an hour or so after that.

Bottom line: Regardless of your training, and the rest of your nutrition plan, Post-workout nutrition can be a deal-breaker, or a miracle maker, depending on what you put into it.

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I usually toss in about 1/2 cup full of 'rolled' oats into a whey shake after a workout... seems digestable enough... stomach feels fine and I don't end up immitating the Christmas goose a half an hour later. :eek: Your mileage may vary.:D

Last edited: Jun 18, 2005
  14. Flippy

Flippy New Member

What do you guys think of just drinking chocolate milk PWO? I've heard some people advocating that lately as an alternative to protein powders. What i've been doing though is making a shake that i came across on another forum (i've made slight modifications to reduce the carbs): it consists of 1/2 frozen banana, 2oz oatmeal (i've been cooking it first and then letting it cool off in the fridge but after reading this thread maybe i should just go with uncooked oatmeal?), 12-16oz skim milk, and 1 1/2 tbsp almond butter. Don't know how effective it is but i always look forward to having it. By the way it comes out to about 56g carbs and 20g protein

(the original recipe called for 3 tbsps peanut butter, 1 frozen banana, 1/2 cup oatmeal, and everything else the same...it came out to roughly 95g carbs and 22g protein...it tasted awesome that way but i wanted to cut back on the carbs...the mod version is still okay but not quite as good).

15. Colucci

I'd check the fat levels. Post-workout, you want virtually no fat, which would drastically slow the absorption rate. With that in mind, the almond butter may be a problem. Other than that, I've seen several places that advocate fat-free chocolate milk as a decent post-workout drink. In a bind, I'd go with that absolutely (for a while back, it actually was my main PWO drink, and I felt fine, recovery-wise), but I'd still prefer an actual MRP or protein powder.

16. Flippy

Flippy New Member

Darn, it tastes so good though :p Ah well, that's good to know. I'll look into getting some fat-free chocolate milk then or a protein powder. Thanks :)

17. blessed_samurai

Hmmm...BeWater, that's something I hadn't thought about-the fat deal and absorption rates. It's possibly due to the fact of limiting oxygen back to the muscles because of the high hydrogen content make up of fats.

Oh (since we're on shoes), some good O lifters are sportin the Adidas and Otomix oly shoes...so obviously if I eat oats and protein pwo and wear oly lifting shoes (and Brad sometimes wears shoes) then not only will I be strong but I'll be a great olympic lifter. (Sorry bro, couldn't resist). :D :p

18. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

It would help if you people actually read the bloody article...

19. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

hey KE, i miss that shut up and squat avater, it was too badass :D
    hm, ive been throwing in rolled oats in with cereal, what type of PrWO and PWO shakes u guys use?

20. the core

the core New Member

The PWO I use has a pre - digestive enzyme in it, so the body does not have to untangle the protien and it is absorbed quicker into the body.LEADING SHAKES

To represent the protein, imagine a strand of beads
    To represent that protein in a shake, imagine a bunch of those strands all tangled together
    When your body drinks that shake, (2) things must happen:

1-Your body must first untangle those strands of beads, then

2-Once the strands are untangled, your body must cut each strand into a single bead to be absorbed by the body

Result: A meal replacement with a slow digestive process resulting in poor protein absorption and poor muscle feeding properties!

ADVOCARE MEAL REPLACEMENTS

Take those same strands of beads
    Throw them into an industrial vat with digestive enzymes

These enzymes pre-cut the strands into single beads, making them impossible to tangle once they are in the body, resulting in high absorption and quick muscle feeding properties!

Result: A meal replacement that feeds muscle quickly resulting in weight loss, by means of fat--NOT muscle!

A Final Question to consider?

Why don't all companies use this pre-digested protein process? Answer: Simple--It is expensive, and cuts into the profit margin.