The Technique Thread

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

In the first vid, is completely doable, but has to be quite dynamic. I usually use it from a clinch and the person is reversing. Essentially you are slapping the back of the knees and driving your head/shoulders into the body.
    Their feet has to be quite parrallel to each other as well (doesnt work if one leg is posted further back)

Another TD you can do without the knee dropping on the ground is what I call (and most of the Pro-Wrestling community) is "The Spear".
    Essentially its like a running Rugby Tackle. Hit hard and fast enough, the person could either fall straight on their back or you end up lifting the person and it becomes a Double Leg high lift.

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you can't get both of your opponent's legs, you will not use "double legs". You will use "single leg" instead. Get both if you can, otherwise, get one first and then get the other afterward.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgZbe-BHIs0"]Catch as catch can wrestling - Kristijan Simeunovic.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

I like the head lock ground control. That's my favor move in ground game. I prefer a much safer "entering strategy" than the one used at 1.30.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The thing is with clips like this and mine in the opening post is that they don't show the build up strategy.

You have to have an element of space between you and your partner in order for the viewer to see what's going on.

The little nuances are lost, you have to cater for the beginner as well as the intermediate practitioner and you also have to show the technique working. You can't show in a demonstration clip too much in the way of resistance, otherwise you end up moving away from what you wanted to show.

This is why in my first clip there is no right or wrong way, just your way.

There is a video of me on MAP practicing with a shock knife. I go for a figure 4, lose it and immediately move on to something else.

That's of no use in a figure 4 tutorial. The same goes for the single or double leg takedown.

Of course it works, but the demonstrator can't spend 5 minutes showing how to soften the opponent before going into the technique, as no-one would watch.

We still need a video of a kick if anyone is willing to shoot something.

5. Mushroom

Taken during actual drills and not posed so everything is a bit blurry and all over the place, so apologies for that.

Thip counter that I tend to use. Once again I am the kind of person (red vest) who likes to keep close and tend to have hands mid/low height, so this works very well for me.

I see the push kick coming and gauge distance.

As he is kicking with his left leg, I use my left hand to parry it away. Simultaneously shifting ever so slightly to my "2 o'clock"

With the kick redirected, the kicker's bodyweight lands forward and in a wide stance and his back is pretty much has his back to me.
    I counter with a round low kick to his legs.
    In an ideal World I would be going for his rear leg, resulting in a sweep. But I was a bit too far back so I ended up kicking the thigh of the front leg.

Attached Files:

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

@mushroom: nice! that kick catch is actually in a karate kata (seipai), but instead of kicking you shoot in for a takedown and slam the guy into the ground.

@simon: if it stops raining i'll go up to the terrace and see about doing the four basic krotty kicks (front, roundhouse, side, back). it'll be a bit low-tech but i think it'll do :p

7. Simon

Nice Mushroom, and good that you can add a variation should your distancing be out a bit.

A nice display of balance and pivoting in the last picture too.

8. Mushroom

Slamming noted. Next human shaped hole in the ground will be dedicated to you.
    ( in a nice way )

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You could also have kicked him in the pills.....just sayin ;) :D :evil:

10. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

It may be a little crazy but I remember a Kyokushin Budo-kai technique that's a little similar.

You would let the kick come in and parry it but just before their kicking foot hit the ground you would sweep it with a low round-house kick.

The kick would often knock them off balance and pivot their body so that they were facing a complete 180 degrees away from you.... do it right and you don't even need to step forward because they will fall backwards into you, practically handing you the rear naked choke! :D

11. Fish Of Doom

nice :D

although if you catch the kick, you could also do that with your hand as well (then again, back-up techniques = win). the one from seipai has you lunge in and try to control the nearest arm with your other hand, then sweep the support leg while nudging the upper body with your elbow. here's the "traditional" way of doing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch425QMrgak#t=76
    and here's abernethy showing the same takedown but without a kick involved: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGmxkLnlsK8"]Practical Kata Bunkai: Seipai Throw - YouTube[/ame]

@hannibal: like this? :evil:
    [​IMG]

12. Fish Of Doom

ok, i tried to get some footage of the krotty kicks, but the wind didn't want me to, so i'll need to see if any of it is salvageable (both because it screwed with the mic and because it continuously knocked my cellphone to the ground), and even then i'll probably redo it because it ended up WAY too long-winded for how simple the kicks are, and i repeated a lot of stuff needlessly. i'm thinking of sorting through what i said and condensing the important bits into another video, that i'll try to film somewhere within the week, wind and rain willing.

13. Mushroom

Ooh we're getting all "realistic" up in here!:lowblow:

14. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

This is a great idea Simon. Glad you started this thread.

I have some concerns with the sequence of techniques that lead into your takedown. During ura gyaku you have your aggressor doubled over at the waist from elbow pressure with his head by his knees and with your weapon hip (right) far away from his capacity to reach for it. Then, when you transition into the figure four arm lock you enter his reaching range for his hand to touch your face and you pivot your weapon hip very close to his body as you're applying it. If I was losing an ura gyaku battle against a particularly strong opponent, I'd shove-kick the back of his closest knee or use my left hand (previously applying elbow pressure) to grab his head/ear and guide it into something durable and unforgiving or to move his head in a direction that compromised his balance. I would certainly avoid giving up positional dominance by taking his side or front if at all possible.

Was that an FMA or JKD technique you demoed?

15. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I think this is more or less saying what I said about the technique. However I do think that it is important to remember that the technique was executed for the benefit of a video demonstration.

If I were in the position shown at the start of the technique I would most likely attack the leg. However - the uki could escape the arm bar at any point. If they slipped out of the technique earlier, most likely I would not have broken their balance forward, so it would make practical sense to go for the figure four.

I have seen this technique in a whole load of arts, e.g various forms of kungfu, kempo, jujitsu, wrestling, and medieval fight books. I suspect that the ubiquitous nature of this technique means that it does have something to offer.

I am interested in what you say about ear control, I was given to understand that ears were not so good as grip points as they can tare if pulled on with bodyweight.

16. Simon

The thing to remember about this thread is we have a technique in isolation.

It's not about how you get in or out, although that of course forms part of the discussion, but more about how we as individuals and opposing stylists execute the technique.

If we're looking at control then I have that in the first few seconds before I move into the figure 4, but what I'm not showing is me either snapping his arm, or being more controlling by using better positioning and leverage.

I don't need to tell the instructors, but teaching is very much "see, do, review".

I demonstrate and describe the technique, the students go off and practice it, then we get together and review what they've done before putting in the corrections and sending them off to do it again.

This approach covers most of the learning styles and my aim in any video I shoot is to just do the initial description and demonstration, otherwise the beginners into intermediates (which make up the majority here) don't see how to do the drill.

The downside to this is the more senior members see the gaps, which is fine because this then gives the reader ideas to expand on.

17. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Gambit - you make an excellent point about the weapon hip. In the UK we do not think about this so much as , as a rule, we do not carry weapons.

I think this is an excellent example of what others have mentioned in this thread. That the application of technique is heavily influenced by the circumstances that define any incident.

One cannot judge the effectiveness of a technique without taking into account the circumstances in which it is used.

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You may teach a

- beginner student how to apply a technique.
    - advance student how to set up a technique.

To me, the set up (entering strategy) sometime is more important than the technique itself. For example, if you depend on your speed for your leg shooting, you may take unnecessary risk than you truly have to. A wrestler may apply his leg shooting in one way in a pure grappling environment. He will need to modify his method when striking is allowed. The best "entering strategy" is the strategy that can reduce your risk to the minimum.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  19. Simon

All well and good, but this is an internet discussion forum, not a class or seminar and the other thing to take into account is that we are showing techniques, not set up strategies. We have the sparring technique thread for that.
    No videos from anyone else there I note.

Also remember the video has to be clear to those who do Karate, TKD, BJJ and so on.

20. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I'm not talking about the joint locking clip but the double legs clip at 1.32. To assume that your opponent's leading leg and arms is not going to do anything to you when you shoot in will not be realistic. This is a "pure" wrestling "double legs". It may work perfect in a pure wrestling environment. But to make it to work in a striking environment, something else will need to be added in.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgZbe-BHIs0"]Catch as catch can wrestling - Kristijan Simeunovic.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014