The Technique Thread

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Some of you saw this on my FB page and as I keep forgetting to the "official" version you can have this shaky-ass "Blair Witch" style Cliffs Notes version of the standing DWL

As an interesting aside, my uke is a student of mine named Riley, who is by far the single bendiest person I have ever met...you almost literally have to tear his arm clean off to get any sort of tap

Comments welcome

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A5T5kgGv5I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A5T5kgGv5I[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
  2. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Really liked that shot from the clinch! I find myself kicking at the hips from that position to displace the body and achieve the same 'elongation' of the arms.

I noticed you really wrap uke's arm up close to his back, is that because of his bendiness? Or do you usually emphasise a softer angle? We tend to keep the arm a little further out from uke's body, using the hook over he elbow to get him unbalanced over the edge of his foot, anyone care to discuss pros and cons of both?

Again my computer won't work with sound so apologies if this got covered in the commentary!

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

only just getting around to watching the other vids posted so far. pretty interesting stuff, although as it's mostly grappling i can't really comment much. on that note, if anyone's up for it, i'd be quite interested in seeing a video about set-ups for standing grappling/takedowns (and general irimi stuff, while we're at it), as i am, as you all know, a bloody shortarse, and as a result get punched in the face a lot while trying to get to my own range, let alone that which would enable me to grapple :p. additionally, i suck major butte and general balls at the grappling itself since i was never taught how to set-up locks et al, even though i know a handful of actual armlocks and stuff. i'm also particularly interested, for obvious reasons, in stuff that has the affected limb at a lower height, and will thus not likely result in me hanging from someone's outstretched arm :p (which has happened in training in the past, to much collective amusement)

i'm thinking about maybe doing a few on some thingies from (mainly karate) forms (not just applications but rather how to approach the forms so that one trains them rather than just performing them), but that'll take a while as i'll require a co-conspirator for that. note however, before i post anything of the sort, that i freely admit that i've never been involved in real violence, and do not regularly engage in full-contact sparring, scenario training, or anything of the sort (although i try to whenever i have the chance), so i want to leave it clear that while i'll try to refrain from implying that anything i do is implicitly useful in physical altercations (as i've no way of knowing that without testing it), anything i say or do in that respect is still to be taken with a grain of salt, and preferably corrected if i err, ideally helping steer the offending movement(s) towards the realm of the non-derp.

also, someone should get jwt in here, he's posted a fair amount of his own stuff in the forums that would fit right in with what's been posted so far.

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It depends on your opponent's intention. If he wants to

- straight his arm, you will help him to straight it even more.
    - bend his arm, you will help him to bend it even more.

This clip may fit into our current discussion as well. It can be used when your opponent tries to draw a gun or knife from his right pocket.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AURrI5_vMKU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AURrI5_vMKU[/ame]

5. Hannibal

I will cover it in more detail later, but there is a wrist twist that shortens the arm angle. This makes for a tighter lock. The elongated arm still works, but it not as painful....plus with Riley there is NO chance of a tap!

Note the thumb grip too - slightly different than the "monkey grip" you see in BJJ

Thanks for the comments guys!

6. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

You ever tried to rotate your gripping hand downward(making your gripping wrist rise up and bite more into his arm)? Kind of like your stationary arm was a pepper shaker and your hand grabbing your other arm was going to do the honors. Might make Mr. Riley less wiley.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Are you talking about entries from another person's strikes or entries from a side angle?

8. Fish Of Doom

yes :p

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

both?

ack. fine. i will attempt to attempt some form of demo. lemme find a victim

10. Fish Of Doom

yay!

basically what i'm looking for are the things that i can try to do to make stand-up grappling techniques feasible. for example like what YKW's clip showed with the kick to the knee before going for the arm and throat, or hannibal's head manipulation to set-up the DWL, knowing how to do a figure 4 or a hammerlock or whatever is all well and good, but if i have no idea of how to not end up trying to brute-force the arm into position (which i basically don't, other than just punching the opponent in the crotch or something), there's not much i can work with :p (which i have confirmed more than once in impromptu wrestling moments with different training partners, both in and out of free sparring). not looking to become a champion grappler or anything (although i should get myself to a wrestling class or similar someday), but a few tips on how to be able to expand my repertoire of doable things would be much appreciated.

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

All teachers will teach you how to apply a technique. Not all teachers can (or willing to) teach you how to "set up" a technique.

You can buy a Judo book and learn many throws. A throw may just starts from a sleeve hold and a lapel hold. How to obtain that sleeve hold and lapel hold in combat situation that kicks and punches are involved? How to apply the throw when your opponent doesn't have Judo Gi? How to "set up" a technique can be as important as how to use a certain technique.

When I learned the throwing art from my teacher, I always asked him, "How did you set it up?" He usually said, "I faked him." (sometime he didn't feel like to go into detail). I then asked, "How did you fake him?" He then said, "I used my knee to hit the inside of his upper leg. When he pulled that leg back, I then ..." That was the way that I learned.

12. Hannibal

Dude the other day I literally folded his arm up over his head! He is not freaking human!!!

13. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Well, as much as I hate to say it, you might have to use the sake test on him, it's an old ninja trick.:D

14. Hannibal

Well played sir, well played!

15. Fish Of Doom

is that the typical samurai-era barfight trick where you glass him with a bottle of sake when he's not looking? :p

16. Hannibal

If he's not looking he will somehow be moved out of the way ;)

17. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Ya know, if you do manage to find something technique-wise that worked for you in those situations, it would be the dog's balls for some of us not given to brute strength or are particularly efficient at employing what potential strength and size we do have ( on paper ).

18. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Nice. thanks for posting Simon. Like YouKnowWho I call it shoulder lock, with potential wrist lock (really a mix of shodan, konoha or kote gaeshi) and forearm crush thrown in depending on how it's applied. When I think figure four armlocks, I actually think of fig 4 armbars, especially one variation that you can slide right into after the initial armbar (which I call "classical" armbar).

Nomenclature...whatever. :)

Not my least favorite technique by any mean, but just like all techniques that tie up both arms, gotta be on the lookout for strikes and be ready to abort and switch plan B if the other manages to resist. I like the variations where the right arm foes underneath uke's arm. That one can be done with one arm and frees up the other for striking/blocking though it is the outside arm so not perfect by any means. Also. like all similar techniques, I'm also probably attempting only after the guys has been buttered up / dazed from whatever strike or unless I know I have a significant leverage or power advantage over them.

19. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Hannibal, In the period between 0.43 seconds where his arm is straight and you have a grip near his wrist and 0.44 seconds where his arm is bent behind his back, you do a lot of things very fast in order to get his arm to where you want to put it.

Could you break that section down and explain what you are doing?

I think I can see you use your left hand to pull and straighten his arm to control the shoulder (your right arm also helps to the inside of his shoulder), then with your right arm you could be rolling the biceps to turn the shoulder over bending his elbow in the process, before using your hips to drive the arm up his back.

But that's a guess - its so fast and smooth it looks like witch-craft.

Please elucidate :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  20. Hannibal

LOL! I will mate

Like I said in the preamble this was a "oh crap i forgot to video that technique" thing so I grabbed an iphone and did this quickly.

There are a lot of nuances to the technique to do with grip and turn and I will do a fuller version - I Promise!!