The Technique Thread

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Read my observation on it again....

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Ah, makes more sense with the edit! :)

It's funny how these things work. Like when someone from a different art starts training with you, it's always the techniques that appear most similar, but with important mechanical differences, that are the hardest to assimilate.

3. Hannibal

Muscle memory tends to kick in when it gets a familiar reference point :)

4. David Harrison

Reminds me of a time years ago; an old instructor of mine did WC previously and one evening he showed me some basic WC trapping and striking. No matter how much I thought I was doing exactly what he showed me he'd say "No! You're still doing Marbo!". :)

...That was before I had more conceptual perspective, and, just like you say, couldn't help the muscle memory kicking off from familiar reference points.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  5. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

It's quiet round here and I had a rare chance to pack the old camcorder with my training gear last night

So here's a basic technique from traditional jujutsu, it's similar to osoto-gari in judo I think

https://vimeo.com/213817892

And a counter from the same style

https://vimeo.com/213820343

Be great to hear what people think and how it could be improved

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  6. David Harrison

Interesting to see things with the same basic mechanic done in such a different way.

All I can say is that the counter only works by virtue of the grips you use, and how you distribute your weight at the end of the technique. You can do the trip/throw in such a way as to make that counter virtually impossible.

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Agreed. Reminds me, too, of the "beset" sweep in silat.

Perhaps by stepping in deep, you could make him fall/slide/trip off your thigh in such a way that he can't drag you down?

8. Hannibal

9. Dunc

Yup you need the grips and a very committed throw for the counter

The technique is to grip underneath the armpit (causing pain) and leave your front leg forward to tempt a big attack

10. David Harrison

I was thinking more pinning/grabbing your opponent in a way that doesn't allow them to get leverage on you once they're down. Also to keep your base once they're down so that you can resist pulling/pushing in all directions.

11. David Harrison

How related is the technique when you kick up and roll them over your leg?

I've got that to work sparring some people outside my system.

12. David Harrison

13. Dunc

14. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, I expect that's the counter to the counter. :p :hat:

15. Dunc

Not sure what you mean by that?
    Apologies..

16. David Harrison

Indeed! :D

Thinking about your stepping deeper comment though - I certainly think you want to get your hips lower than your opponent, as when it gets scrappy and real you can't always rely on completely off-balancing with your arms, and when you're in the position whereby both can feasibly do the takedown it's the one with the lower base that invariably wins.

17. David Harrison

Like this :D

[​IMG]

EDIT: Except more sideways than straight over the top.

18. Dunc

In TJJ here are a lot of variations and applications of those kind of things and yes including sideways - I can't think of any as a counter to osoto 'though

Also kicking the groin and kicking the opponent off line from below if they base and resist the takedown

19. David Harrison

If you watch yourself go down in the 2nd video around 20 seconds in, you can see your right leg come up. If you capitalise on that spin and are flexible enough to get your foot up, you can do it from there. It does depend on how forward the weight of the person taking you down is though.

20. Dunc

Ahh Ok I see what you mean - That was showing how not to do it (the sound probably isn't great) the space is too much there, his balance is OK and it's easily countered
    Generally if that happens we kick the ribs