The Technique Thread

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Standing double wrist lock.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i might do a proper video on how i do and interpret the krotty punch, if anyone's interested. meeting up with a karateka friend in finland before meeting boris, so will probably have time and means to get it done within the week.

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I've seen some of robinsons variations in scientific wrestling vids and some from shamrock as takedown defence but ive never been able to pull off the robinson ones.

the DWL as back take defence (standing and grounded) is something i became very proficient with though.

yup, hannibal clued me up with the catch lingo a while ago :)

i wanted to try a grappling demo. ill see who i can find :)

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I will do a DWL from clinch then

5. Simon

Look forward to it. I don't know this technique, so something new here.

6. Hannibal

Long story short camera was flat on battery - have no fear, i will record this one on Wednesday when I have my "Trunk Monkey" session at my house....sorry gang

7. Hannibal

You probably do - it's the CACC version of the Kimura...or more accurately the Kimura is the BJJ version of a DWL

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I just looked through the meager collection of videos I have of myself doing martial arts. And there's not much to work with. But I do like the idea of this thread, so I'll do what I can to keep it going.

This isn't a specific technique video, but there's plenty here to critique in terms of overall sparring strategy and technique. This was taken in 1993, so I neither look nor fight much like this these days. But it's grist for the mill anyway:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDae9TVxzqQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDae9TVxzqQ[/ame]

I could get the ball rolling with lots of personal critique. But I suspect that won't be necessary. :)

EDIT: Oh, I'm the tall (formerly) skinny guy in the video. The one getting pummeled by the shorter, more generally adept aikidoka/eskrimador.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
  9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No takers, eh? Okay, I'll kick start it.

My basic posture is all wrong. I was too side-on, resulting in being swept or unbalanced a couple of times. It also meant that I was relying very heavily on the back fist (since my partner didn't have a face shield, and I didn't have either the technical skills or the temperament to punch him squarely in the face).

On a related note, my feet are too close together, both back-to-front and side-to-side. No way of protecting my balance when he shoots in for a takedown. No chance at sprawling (not that I knew how to sprawl back then).

My hands are too low as well. Granted, this video was shot 2 hours into my black belt test, and I was completely knackered. But, honestly, my guard was generally too low anyway. Not enough experience with boxing at that time in my life. No head movement (which, again, would have required a wider base to do properly). And my defense involved a lot of "chasing" the other guy's strikes. In other words, out of a perverse need to make contact with my opponent's attacks, I'd reach out for them, compromise a tight defense to no clear benefit. I'd often reach into the low line and then get popped in the head, for instance. Had I been a better at sparring, I could have achieved the same using either an elbow tight to the body or simply stepping out of the way.

On the plus side, I was pretty pleased with the two fairly unlikely-looking takedowns I got. As I say, my opponent was an aikidoka. So his falling made me look pretty good. But I do think I legitimately managed to get him off his feet, even if not in as spectacular fashion as his falls might suggest.

10. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I thought the first takedown was well timed :)

11. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Too many one punch techniques...the smaller guy was putting some nice combos together. ?.your take down scissors was high risk but worked..

thanks for posting

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yes. Yes he was. He was no slouch, that guy. That also gets to the heart of my sparring troubles back then. I was very much a "throw something and see what happens" type of fighter. So, even when a technique worked, there wasn't enough follow up to turn the tide.

Now, as I said, this was 2 hours into a test and I was exhausted. But that was also my programming at the time. It wasn't until years later that I learned to put combos together. It's funny. Seems like such an obvious thing in retrospect. But back then, a combo was several kicks chained together. Not bunches of punches into kicks then back to punches. So there was no overwhelming the opponent. It was a real mental shift, as much as physical, when I learned to use combos.

13. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

just managed to film a vid on the krotty punch, uploading it now, dunno how long it'll take. will upload when it's done and i've checked to see how may disclaimers i'll need to write :p (i THINK i didn't swear in it though, which would be a first :D)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
  14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Good thread this.

15. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I might do some capoeira and post it if I can get back to training. A bit of variety would be nice.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I fancy doing one on low kick delivery footwork. Not sure I've got the space/set-up though.

17. Simon

Thank you.

As I said in the opening post, I knew it would create a lot of discussion, but it's taken me two years to get round to doing the video.

Looking forward to seeing the new videos.

I fancy doing the next one on the mechanics of the uppercut/shovel hook.

18. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Against a partner/bag/against the air...?

Either way I'd be keen to see this.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It'd have to be against a bag, but with pointers on doing it on a person too.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'd definitely tune in for that.