The Tea Room - General IMA Chat

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Sandus, May 14, 2007.

1. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

What comes next is probably arthritis. Bag gloves on, hit bag - that's about it. Anything that deforms the body in any way, well, can it really be Chinese martial arts?

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

3. kingoftheforest

kingoftheforest It's Good to be the King

Sanshou

Some awesome applications for outside the ring.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp2yXPsiBv4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp2yXPsiBv4[/ame]

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hey everyone, check out the standing cat.

Bit of a wobble, but not bad. Excellent focus.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVV_HXtEbLo&feature=player_embedded#"]Standing Cat - Mon chat se tient debout tout seul - YouTube[/ame]

5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

LOL! That is cool! It even wiggled its tail! :D

6. Prodigal Gil

Prodigal Gil Valued Member

Speaking of Xing Yi, Check out my Granmaster doing the Sha family Hsing Yi Dalian form...all the 12 animals are in it as well:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N_wIu1g5H4"]Xing Yi Quan Dalian Huan å½¢æ„拳大连环 - YouTube[/ame]

A cup of Chinese Dalian Tea?

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Goodness me...not forms to do in a garage or back garden are they?

8. Prodigal Gil

I am starting that end of the year mate...need a big ass garden!

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hey PG, welcome to MAP.

I see you're in London, who you going to be doing the bagua with ?
    (if you don't mind me asking)

while you're at it, who did you do old Yang with? sorry to be so nosy..lol.

10. Prodigal Gil

Not at all, I am pretty open. Maurice Passman at the Rose Li School in Covent Garden, Pineapple studio. Have you come across him or knows much about him?

So far, I've only done one free lesson. On one hand, he seem legit after having a 30mins chat on this system's philosophy. Never heard of his lineage at least not his Hsng Yi. On the other hand he sound likes a business person the way he sets up his martial art classes and a charges. Quite like his teaching style as he don't normally take anyone and takes you out individually to correct rather than a whole class, plus I think he only have a max 6 people class, so I am a considered no. 6. That is what he is saying anyway. I also went though a few mini test before he said ok.

I got 3 free lessons as a trail, but it just that I was planning to start my Bagua at some stage later, but I thought I might as well start to commit now. I am already doing 4 days a week, I might as well go full on and focus and getting to a certain level before reach 40odd! He also does Hsing Yi, but I am forbidden to train as I am under the Sha lineage unless my Grandmaster OKs it.

John Ding (The end of central line I recall) in late 90s and my current master also knows it, so I have option to refresh it, or restart it as it has being rather long. However, I am focusing on Hying Yi and Chi Kung now and Bagua if it works out with Pressman.

11. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Cool, thanks for sharing. I havn't heard of this school in Covent garden, sounds interesting. I know of J Ding, was a disciple of the late Ip Tai Tak.

So I take it, your Sha style hsingyi teachers aren't resident in UK?

12. Prodigal Gil

There are a few people who do train in the U.K. as Indoor student.

What Internal Martial Arts do you do? Lineage, style..etc?

It was really weird that I bumped into John Ding today after over 10 years at the SENI competition.

13. StMatthias

StMatthias Valued Member

I was talking to a work mate the other day and we got talking about me trying out new martial arts, and he recommended trying ba gua. Didn't want to start a new thread so I just thought I'd drop in here and ask where in London is best for ba gua?
    Also, as I was checking google and here, a lot of people are mentioning ba gua with hsing yi...which is the most "martial" of the two? Looking to study one of the IMAs but still want that aspect. If that makes sense.

14. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

I believe there are some Yin style Bagua people in London.Worth checking out as they concentrate on the martial side.Xingyi (Hsing-i) and Bagua are both martial but a lot depends on the teacher.I practice Sun style Taiji and Xingyi but mainly practice for self development rather than fighting.If you want to fight you will have to find people from outside your style to test yourself against to make sure that what you are being taught is fully functional rather than being somebodies idea of what works in a fight.

15. embra

embra Valued Member

My impression of YSB is that is more percussive than other Baguazhang, which probably gives it the reputation for a very Martial outlook.

However, my understanding is that YSB has the greatest width in it system (covering 8 animals systems rather than the mere dragon system of the Cheng Bagua that I putter about with when I can) which includes martial practices - including a lot of weaponary AND it has a lot of Nejia/Health aspects in Neigung, QiGong and other lets say more "esoteric" practices.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  16. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  17. embra

embra Valued Member

In and around London, there seems to be a lot of IMA e.g. my teacher's teacher is Chris Chappell in east London.

Quite a few others, so London seems to be blessed in this way.

18. StMatthias

StMatthias Valued Member

I'll take a look at these when I get home. I don't want people to misunderstand - I don't want the martial aspect for fighting but rather for having it in case I need it. My plan is (money allowing) to do a traditional style MA/IMA and a more modern or sport style. Thus getting the best of both Worlds.

19. embra

embra Valued Member

IMA takes quite a bit of time to develop.

So it wont do any harm to learn something a bit simpler upfront as well e.g. MuayThai (I must get round to this specifically some time before I become a hopeless old fart), FMA (did this on and off for about 3 years - all very practical and useful.)

20. embra

embra Valued Member

YSB starter for 1

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk3WipJCwHQ"]A Brief Introduction to Yin Style Bagua - YouTube[/ame]

Looks and sounds pretty good to me.