The Systema Punch

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Crane Strike, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Crane Strike

Crane Strike New Member

I started talking about the punch because after three months, the punch was the only thing I learned that has more to do with fighting than yoga.

Dude love, you pretty much have to go to this guys class and test his moves. The truth is out there.

Just remember, even if he does beat you up, that just means he is ok. It doesn't mean systema is vindicated.

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I agree.

Using "The Systema Punch", when it seems to be nothing unique but expressed as so, is aureated-inflated and pompous, excessively elaborate or ornate; florid

3. karl52

karl52 openminded

the Systema guys hit differently to Dennis,and ive not seen any of them hit with anything near the power of Dennis Jones either.the biggest difference is the amount of bodyweight transferred, heres my latest clip training in Dennis' style

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr0ihynBwTc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr0ihynBwTc[/ame]

4. Dudelove

Dudelove Valued Member

Yep.

As I stated before I'm not interested in meeting unless it was on 'neutral ground',( I had to ask several times if you were challenging me before you stated you weren't) I'm not turning up at a class with you and students only. If it's a bullshido or MAP meet, the presence of non students will make it neutral.

Can we make it an 'official' meet, wether it's MAP or Bullshido because my friend is interested in (light) sparring with people from other styles. I'll turn up alone, but I'd prefer my mate to be there to hold my hand. I forgot I'll need at least 4 weeks notice because I'm contracted to work saturdays, and not during august because of Ramadan.

Seems like you took that quote out of context purposefully, here's the full quote...

I was requesting footage showing pressure testing.

I've no problem pressure testing the handbag knife defence or letting you slap my chest and try to 'cheer me up', or effect my memories, but not replicating a full on assault. Like I've written before (and started a thread for advice that got taken down during the revamp) I've got injuries that prevent me from doing any serious exercise or martial arts training. All I can do really is hit my BOB with my left, that along with the plank and some isometric work is all the exercise I get.

Wasn't me who started the thread, I agreed that the punches looked solid so I don't know why your directing that towards me?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  5. Crane Strike

Crane Strike New Member

It is different. I've been to boxing, muay thai, kali, silat, wing chun, tkd, kempo karate, and a few other schools, and none of them have anything that is even close to it. Its totally different. Naming some obscure martial art with 150 practitioners world wide that do kinda the same thing doesn't make it normal.

Not to mention, I haven't heard a name for their punch. I could have just called it the "dumpy hard punch systema people do."

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Got a video that actually demonstrates it? As from what we've seen it's no different than anything else.

7. Crane Strike

Crane Strike New Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAunUZD6yAs"]YouTube- Val Riazanov -Systema Ballistic Striking featured on "Warriors"[/ame] On this one, at 37 he does the punch and at 42 he does the Vulcan neck pinch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U__Mcpya40"]YouTube- Val Raizanov -Systema Ballistic Striking explained by Neil Franklin[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRnQSYQZ6OI"]YouTube- Mikhail Ryabko teaching Systema Punching[/ame]

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

9. DamSkippy

DamSkippy Valued Member

i have to chime in and state it looks no different than a solar-ab hook punch. ive seen this in shotokan

10. Fillythebish

Fillythebish Valued Member

Don't know anything about Systema at all, so can't make any real constructive comment.

I would like to say that there is huge amounts of money available for fighting champions in many combat sports.

Why are Systema guys not cleaning up and getting rich with their great skills?

I'd love to try the style though, looks good as a whole.

11. Crane Strike

Crane Strike New Member

Seriously, I'll try not to be an ******* for like thirty seconds. I just played Modern Warfare for like 4 hours, so I'm all out.

I really do think Systema has some good things too offer, and it was tasteless of me to just mockingly call it the systema punch, when it is obviously called ballistic striking.

Being in the presence of people that practice the art, I can say that I think their striking is very different to anything else I've encountered.

I think the main things Systema has to offer is novel exercises for aging people, and philosophy regarding how to negotiate odd situations like impersonal mob violence.

The end. I'm done talking about Systema for a while. It obviously irritates me almost as much as the guy that closed the other thread.

12. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

Ballistic striking was a catch phrase used by Val Riazonov to sell DVDs. These contained a mix of ryabko short strikes, open hand work that originally came from traditional fist fighting and his own take on boxing.

Ryabko's short strikes are easily learnt once a few basic concepts are grasped. Most of what you see on clips are what I consider party pieces used to wow the crowd, but anyone can learn to replicate them if taught what to look for.

Applying them to combat is a trickier prospect depending on the situation. Having pressure tested it I have found it great as a pre-emptive strike, used during stand grappling or when the attack starts from converstaion distance and posture. Used in sparring against boxing got me drilled.

What does work though is a compressed form of traditional fist fighting taught by Alex Kostic who is an instructor who taught at Vlad's school, before research and testing took him on his own course.

Also systema as I was originally taught by Vlad drew heavily from traditional fist fighting for dealing with multiples. This kind of work involves very different mechanics to what is being taught under Ryabko's guidance with strikes being bigger and harder to predict than standard boxing would allow.

The point I am trying to make is that there is more to russian martial arts than ryabko fist fighting as the Russians draw from a number of sources. Drawing conclusions on effectiveness base. On little research and no experience is plain stupid. May I suggest people spend a little less time online and seek out some training.

13. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

Ballistic striking was a catch phrase used by Val Riazonov to sell DVDs. These contained a mix of ryabko short strikes, open hand work that originally came from traditional fist fighting and his own take on boxing.

Ryabko's short strikes are easily learnt once a few basic concepts are grasped. Most of what you see on clips are what I consider party pieces used to wow the crowd, but anyone can learn to replicate them if taught what to look for.

Applying them to combat is a trickier prospect depending on the situation. Having pressure tested it I have found it great as a pre-emptive strike, used during stand grappling or when the attack starts from converstaion distance and posture. Used in sparring against boxing got me drilled.

What does work though is a compressed form of traditional fist fighting taught by Alex Kostic who is an instructor who taught at Vlad's school, before research and testing took him on his own course.

Also systema as I was originally taught by Vlad drew heavily from traditional fist fighting for dealing with multiples. This kind of work involves very different mechanics to what is being taught under Ryabko's guidance with strikes being bigger and harder to predict than standard boxing would allow.

The point I am trying to make is that there is more to russian martial arts than ryabko fist fighting as the Russians draw from a number of sources. Drawing conclusions on effectiveness base. On little research and no experience is plain stupid. May I suggest people spend a little less time online and seek out some training.

14. VforVendetta_5

VforVendetta_5 New Member

I personally believe the Systema guys are doing something a little different. I have trained Martial Arts for nine years studying everything from Taekwon Do to Boxing to Filipino martial arts. I have gotten punched a lot of different ways by a lot of different people. I have been flattened by kicks and punches alike over the years. I know what it feels like to get the wind knocked out of me and to take a hard shot. I HAVE felt Systema punches and they are like nothing I have ever felt.

I was hit with straight punches rather than hooked shots. I was hit in the usual manner to demonstrate the technique. Basically the guy just had me stand and he hit me in the midsection. The punches hurt like hell and they looked effortless. He also hit me all over the midsection and not just in the solar plexus. The punches hurt EVERYWHERE regardless of targeting. He hit just hard enough for me to feel the power, but not enough really to hurt me. I have no doubt that he could put me down with one shot. The first punch felt like he hit me with an initial shot much like any other punch. However, after he hit me the pain just got worse like the strike was expanding inside my midsection. Its like the one punch kept hitting me after he was done. He also demonstrated hitting from a very short distance. Think Bruce Lee's one inch punch. He looked like he was tapping me, but each shot knocked the wind out of me slightly. Again, they were just in the general area of my midsection and not at any vital point.

In short I was EXTREMELY impressed. Most of all from the effortless power this guy was able to create at any range at any point. Again, I have hit and been hit over the years so usually I am pretty skeptical of stuff like this. Let me tell you this stuff is for real. Over the years I have watch many videos and researched a bit on Systema. Watching does not do it justice you have to feel it. It looks ridiculous when you watch it, but I have felt the principals and they are painful.

I am not saying it is God's gift to the martial arts world, but what I experienced was legitimate. I am really interested in learning it and would like to start training soon. If I can apply some of the principals to my striking I believe it will only enhance my skills. Like anything though it is the person training the art that matters. I am impressed with the principals and the application of them. I am sure there are people who are really good at Systema that can truly whip ass. I also know that there are people who train who could not fight their way out of a wet paper bag. Just like boxing, BJJ or anything else it is the person.

Hope my post was informative.

15. flat tire

flat tire New Member

Here is some youtube footage of Systema. This instructor teaches in South Korea (one of few countries with actual legitimate systema instructor)

1.) https://youtu.be/Z5BI_oQ_GgE
    2.) https://youtu.be/8zehjxtOVRY
    3.) https://youtu.be/SfHfua9ku4s

By the way, Systema also makes use of pressure points of the opponent. Foot/leg work can also be applied. Remember, in a life threatening situation, the forces against you will not be discussing the rules and the style of fighting they will be using. And you are never bound to be able to use only one fighting style in a real fight scenerio. Adapt to your surrounding/situation.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015