The Syro-Aramaic Reading of the Quran

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by PekitiBlood, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

And yet they Christian fundamentalists still use it as an excuse for violence - now isn't that fascinating? Does it maybe demonstrate that the religion isn't the problem, the close-minded ignorant little morons are, whichever religion they're from?

Have you looked at the Old Testament at all?

And culturally, how many choose other names? If 20% of the population in England had some particular reason that might choose the name Oliver or Olivia for their children, then the same thing would happen.

If you choose to blindly believe whatever the media tell you without doing your own assessment and analysis, I can't force you to think. That's a great shame, everyone should think.

Abortionists are murdered, following death threats, with religious motivation - usually Christian.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I was really surprised when it was recently announced that terrorism was the number one threat to the UK.
    More people probably get killed by step ladders. :)

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

More people get killed by cars. Solution? Ban the car!

4. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

PekitiBlood Banned ?!?!
    Its not like he was David Irving speaking on WW2 !

The content of the koran, that is in question surely - egsample

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsiKVc028I0"]YouTube - Islam, A Problem In Australia (Islam prohibits integration)[/ame]

OBVIOUSLY i dont think all followers of the koran are racist warmongers just becouse of a news program, but there is no need to be blind to the possible (mis)interpretation of certain areas of it (koran).

And thats just the way it is folks, whether you like it or not..

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Ironically I just read my politics book on the part about religious fundementalism and Bunny's on the money about it not being limited to just Islam. An example of a backwards and completely retarded christian group is the Tea Party. Not terrorists bombing abortion clinics by any means but still a group promoting backwards ideas that do not belong in a modenr liberal society.

I'm not an expert on economics but have you looked at the countries with that sort of stuff? Lets take the most cristian country in the west which is America and look at its situation: One of the most dominant contries on the planet with very advanced technology and a good economy when you compare it to the state of some other countries. The majority of americans might not be able to afford their new car but their not starving.

Now take a country that used sharia law such as Afghanistan under the Taleban regime: The 4th poorest country on Earth. Severe underdevelopment and incredibly lacking in health, education, security you name it.

I don't understnad economics very well so I can't google this stuff and then look at GDP rates and such since I have no idea what those are but the general trend seems to be that the sort of stuff you're crusading against is mostly promininent in poor, underdeveloped countries where religion is a massive part of people's lives as they have nothing else to hold on to. You can't just say "oh look at iraq all muslims are evil but in the christian countries like america or britian is doesn't happen so the the Church is great".

Also on that point christianity is one of Africa's most popular religions and I imagien even you aren't ignorant of the troubles with violence some parts of that country suffer. At least some of that is religiously motivated.

The "brutality" or whatever you want to call those sort of practices of a country to me are concentrated more in the countries economic state not its religion.

6. Southpaw535

Ugh, have you read the bible? same crap could be said about that with the ideas of homophobia for example and such stuff does happen. Any religious text from those times is filled with violence and can be interpreted as such. I have better things to do than read whole religious books (no offense to the religious I just don't find it a fun read) but to say the Qu'Ran automatically calls to arms those who read it is wrong. Even saying some may interpret it that way is wrong because people can do that with any text. It's exactly the same as the video games causing violence debate.

7. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Totaly agree with that,

I have no preferences, they all (sky daddy religions) equaly insane to me man.

:cool:

8. Southpaw535

Agree with you there dude but to each his own I guess

9. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

There are violent fanatical Christian groups out there. That aren't just violent fringe groups or lone nut jobs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord's_Resistance_Army

This is probably the most famous of the more Christian fanatical groups that present especially in Sub-Saharan Africa.

10. PekitiBlood

PekitiBlood Banned Banned

It's funny you mention the LRA. 1). They are not Christian, a form of Voodoo maybe but definitely not Christian as we understand it in the West. 2). They number around 1,000 and are seen more as land pirates, bandits if you will, than a political or religious movement.

http://tachesdhuile.blogspot.com/2010/10/us-intervention-in-central-africa.html

The US is now contemplating actually targeting the LRA because they are now very active in the South of Sudan area, an area that is suppose to vote for independence next year. An educated guess would venture that the LRA is now being paid by the Salafist Muslim government of the North to cause problems in the South, to stop them from gaining independence. Remember Darfur? China currently gets its oil from the Souther region of Sudan.

11. PekitiBlood

Apples and Oranges

Sorry for the late reply, Bunny. I was at the Rally to Restore Sanity this weekend in DC. Pretty much a bunch of kids smoking out in the National Mall. It was great fun but it wasn't as big and diverse as the Rally to Restore Honor, organized by Glenn Beck. It was still fun.

It's a parable, if you read that whole parable it doesn't make sense, so nope "Christian" Fundamentalists don't really use it. As a matter of fact, most "Christian" militant groups don't really use the Old and New Testament, because after the Age of Enlightenment, the separation of Church and State, after much scholarship done on the Bible, Talmud, Torah, etc. They've pretty much sorted out all of the violence.

When was the last time you had stonings, in Israel or the US? When was the last time a man was forced to divorce his wife for being too academically critical about the Qur'an? Hands getting chopped of, getting killed for being an apostate? The list goes on, until the early morn'. And that's today by the way, as we type.

But every time Usama bin Laden and other "radical" Muslims speak, they quote the Qur'an and Haddiths all the time, and they have historical relevance too, Ibn Taymiya is one popular scholar whose teachings reflect widely today.

Like I said, When was the last time you saw Christian or Jewish stonings or deaths for apostacy?

Well first of all, to back track, there was an element of shock at the news that Mohammed was the #1 baby boy name in the UK. Let's summarize, when I first posted that news,

There was, "Nope, it's Oliver! you Dumb American", then there was, "LOL, you got it from the Daily Mail, shame, shame you dumb American", then after I posted the Office of Statistics original listing, it was, "Who cares if it's Mohammed?", then the "Maybe it the only names they can think of", then the "We're the UK, we love liberalism" statements.

Denial is not a river in Egypt.

So in response to the latest rationalization, many choose other "Islamic" names, look at all our Muslim friends are they all called Mohammed? The Muslims born 1 or 2 generations ago tend to have other names. So the question now is why the proclivity for Mohammed now? I argue that it's part of the Salafi trend, as is the Niqab.

When the majority of respected news sources report the same analysis, then it's called a trend. The Christian Science Monitor, the Economist, The Financial Times, the International Herald Tribune, CNN, BBC, the list goes on. It's a trend.

Like I said Denial is not a river in Egypt.

The numbers, the funding, the religious justification, conviction rate, the international connection, population support, etc etc. All say that you are comparing Apples and Oranges.

12. PekitiBlood

Saudi Arabia is well off economically, so what gives?

13. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

By that logic we can also dismiss Muslim fanatics as not Muslim. Likewise their exact belief systems don't reflect the beliefs of mos Muslims.

Christianity has approximately 2 billion followers with various Evangelical denominations popping up particularly in Sub-Saharan Africa. Any group of considerable size especially groups of ppl numbering in the billions like Christians or Muslims shouldn't be overgeneralized.

Back to your vids the first 4 were interesting to a point.

The biggest problem with Muslim fanatics is that they only focus on the militant intolerant scripture. Fanatics of any ilk tend to do that. I agree thought that moderate Muslims are not speaking up against fanatics enough. Criticism from non-Muslims probably won't do much.

The ironic thing is that Moderate Muslims are going to bear the brunt of fanatical violence. While non-Muslims may suffer from terrorist attacks we probably die from falling off ladders more than terrorist attacks, as someone said earlier

14. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Hey pekitiblood, Allah is the one true god and muhammad is his prophet :p :D

15. PekitiBlood

I would argue that theirs is a literal translation of the Qur'an. Pick up any Qur'an, preferably in Arabic.

We're speaking of radical Muslims which number about 91 Million (according to this documentary: http://vimeo.com/14121737 ), if you add the "grey" areas of the pie chart that would bring it up to around 200 Million--give or take.

Are you familiar with Islam's history? The Qur'an can be divided in half, one containing Suras from the Mecca, the happier more understanding Suras AND two containing the Suras from Medina, the more violent Suras. These are the same Suras that specifically call for the killing of Jews, Christians and non-Muslims. So if one was to believe that this book is from God, if God says to kill Christians and Muslims (if they attack you, which is used to justify any attacks) then it's mandated by God. Hence the Justification, which explains why 200 Muslims can agree with it.

Then be careful when you climb on ladders and while crossing the streets. We can take as much precaution, but terrorist attacks are less predictable.

Maybe because fanatical violence is in the Qur'an, the moderate, Sufi type Muslims are having a harder time explaining their side. ;)

16. PekitiBlood

You're telling me...

17. Knight_Errant

What's the matter, don't recognise your secret handshake? You're one of them, after all :p :D

18. PekitiBlood

British humour has always escaped me, boyou.

19. Knight_Errant

Protip: learn to recognise when you're being mocked ;)

20. PekitiBlood

Ad Hominem "attacking the messenger" means You are unable to post further rebuttal. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.