The Switch

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Black Armor, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Black Armor

Black Armor I want your centerline!

Who feels like they have the switch in them???

meaning that if put in a situation of life and death... you switch to Mr. Hyde and become a bone breaking, arm snapping, jaw breaking killing machine. Not a murderer, but a man (or woman) defending his life or someone he holds dear to him...

do you think you've always had it, got it now... or don't...

I've always thought I've had it in me.. but nothing like now, my body is a weapon, a deadly weapon... my heart has unlimited ammo! Don't cross my path!

2. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

I feel everyone has this in them,we just all reach it at different stages.

3. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Lay of the ginseng mate...

4. Mr.Gordo

Mr.Gordo New Member

I have "the glow." Does that count? :yeleyes:

5. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

I have the switch...

actually more of the hair trigger.

6. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

If you're talking about the psychological switch, then yes, most people who have been training in martial arts for a while have it.

But it should be as easily turned off as it is turned on; becoming a 'bone breaking, arm snapping, jaw breaking killing machine' is never a good thing, and can only lead to regret and guilt for both parties...If you've ever really hurt someone, and known that it hurt them, you also know how bad that feels to do that.

And 10nefighting, where do you get your photos from? Who is the fairy in your photo this time? And what is wrong with the 3/4th knuckle on his right hand? He looks like Mr T...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  7. Black Armor

Can't a thread get started w/just once someone not disecting it, if a person can turn the switch on, of course they can turn it off... c'mon dude, .. why do you gotta **** on my parade. I tend to get a bit dramatic with my words.... , lets not talk about the after affects, or the feelings afterwards....
    your the dude that is going to get his lady raped in front of him while someone sticks a bat up your **** with that type of mentality-
    I'm speaking of a man trying to take your life.... and your going to tell me that its not a good thing to switch up and get nuts on this dude....
    I'm not talking about someone swerving in front of you in traffic, or taking your parking spot... i'm talking about a man walking up in your garage with a knife!

Not everyone does have it... some people are just naturally scared people and thats why they pay a monthly fee in an attempt to gain confidence in themselves and to defend who they love... its a switch that alot of people aren't familiar with-

so again- does anyone have that switch or think it would click if needed????

8. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I sometimes wonder if I have that switch, it really has never been tested. I do think I would go to any lengths however, if my children were being threatened. I hope I never find out actually.

I jokingly refer to my husband having the "Hulk switch". He is normally a very passive kind of guy but when you try a gi choke on him he just 'flips the Hulk switch'. He HATES gi chokes and you can guarantee you will be flipped or something nasty will happen if you attempt one. I suppose this type of reaction would be amplified in him in a real life situation. Again, he has never had it tested so I don't know for sure.

9. wcrevdonner

Okay - you post an idea, which is going to be dissected, since this is a PUBLIC forum. Or would you rather us all say, 'Yes Black Armour, you are right. I wish I had your kind of prowess, etc.' and tell you how amazingly tough you are?

As for defending the people I love and the psychological switch, thats not restricted to MAists. I don't know anyone who would not try and defend in some way someone who was close to them be they relative/friend, and try their damned hardest to get them out of the situation.

Its just that the end of your post sounds like you are looking for that to happen; the kind of person who sees someone looking at their girlfriend and goes ape just because of it - and the after effect are something that you ought to think about; keyboard warriors don't, people who understand how much damage they can inflict do, since its an integral part of violence, and using it against someone.

If you want to beat your chest, (or anything else for that matter), go do it in a private place where other people don't have to witness it...otherwise, welcome to democracy.

10. OBCT

OBCT New Member

I try very hard to lose my 'switch'.
    If some attack comes my way either verbal or physical, perhaps even natural (say i'm drunk and a lamppost attcaks me) i react to the situation accordingly, i don't become seperate in anyway, or change. I live as a constant, neither jekyl or hyde, but a halfway mix.

The minute a 'switch' is triggered, or somebody 'flips' they lose control, without control you lose ability and adrenaline takes over, you get sloppy, make mistakes, and become less.

If you can't control yourself in a fight, how can you expect to control your opponant(s) ?

As cybermonk said, lay off the ginseng, or go get laid.

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

"It is better to know things as they are than to believe things as they seem"

Until you need to flick that switch for REAL - you can NEVER know whether it is truly there or not.

12. Kanku

Kanku New Member

Nice post,

A few years ago, a guy tried to mug me, it was kind of a hit and run attempt. I surprised myself with my own reaction. One minute this guy was trying to steal my belongings and the next he was running away. I am not really sure what I did to him exactly, but I ended up twisting his arm and hitting him at least once, I then threw him to the ground. At least now I know that I can deal with an attacker when put in that situation.

13. Black Armor

Once again, someone can't relate to me emphasizing confidence in my training-

Because I said I feel I have the switch doesn't mean that when It turns on I lose control and go ape shi$-
    I meant in the sense of the red zone, the zone which your being threatened for your life, not the lets get in our faces and bump chests game, but the shank in your stomach while your girlfriend gets pounded on by some crack head junkie zone-
    I would like to think that I would be a fighting machine and all the training I've done will take affect and my strikes would meet their targets directly and effectively!!!!

Because I say that I'm a walking weapon.. doesn't mean I think I'm unstoppable- I meant that I feel I train long and hard enough to feel I can defend myself in most any situation!

YOU SAY-
    Okay - you post an idea, which is going to be dissected, since this is a PUBLIC forum. Or would you rather us all say, 'Yes Black Armour, you are right. I wish I had your kind of prowess, etc.' and tell you how amazingly tough you are?

I WASN'T ASKING FOR THAT- BUT FOR SOME STRANGE REASON, I THOUGHT I COULD SHARE A THOUGHT WITH THE PEEPS ON THIS FORUM AND GET SOME POSITIVE FEED BACK ABOUT DEFENDING YOUR FAMILY OR SOMEONE YOU CARE ABOUT

YOU SAY-
    As for defending the people I love and the psychological switch, thats not restricted to MAists. I don't know anyone who would not try and defend in some way someone who was close to them be they relative/friend, and try their damned hardest to get them out of the situation.

I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS RESTRICTED TO MAist.. BUT THIS IS A MA FORUM ISN'T IT... THATS WHY I REFERRED TO US- PLUS- THE AVERAGE JOE AND SOMEONE WHO TRAINS IN AN ART WILL HAVE A DIFFERENT REACTION, A DIFFERENT VIBE, A DIFFERENT MIND SET IF THIS OCCURRED...
    I'M DONE WITH THIS THREAD, ITS A NO WIN SITUATION TRYING TO COMMUNICATE WITH SOME... ITS LIKE YOU SEARCH FOR A THREAD TO TALK NEGATIVELY... GO AHEAD PAL- BUT I DON'T SURROUND MY SELF WITH THAT-
    C-YA!

14. Black Armor

OH YOU GOT LUCKY THIS TIME BUT WHAT IF NEXT TIME HE'S AN EXPERIENCED BJJ EXPERT AND YOU DON'T SEE HIM AND HE JUMPS ON YOU AND TAKES YOU DOWN.. YOU WON'T BE SO LUCKY!!!

I'm totally kidding, but don't be surprised my friend if someone says something similiar....

the comment you put is exactly what i'm talking about-

I remember when I was just beginning shou shu, I was at a friends house knocking on the door... when no one answered, I turned to leave and his brother walked up right behind me... I didn't know he was there and he wasn't paying attention that I was there either.. we scared each other to death... the point of my story, I got so scared,... I froze and dropped down a bit like to ball up.....

As a brown belt 3yrs later, something similar happened but the friend grabbed my wrist from the side of me.... I almost broke his wrist and he was on one knee about to eat my knee... it was awesome.....

thats what i'm talking about!

15. Kanku

Kanku New Member

No one is unstoppable, everyone has their vices and can choke in a particular situation. Every martial artist should be aware of their strengths and weaknessed. As a martial artist, everyone should be able to control their anger and clear their mind when a situation demands it.

I am not saying that everyone has the ability to do this: As Yoda said, you don't actually know until you have been put into the situation.

I have to say that I feel that there is nothing awesome about breaking bones or damaging someone, if it is necessary, then so be it. But just as easily as you have the ability to kill someone in a particular situation, there will always be someone who is better skilled than you and could do it to you. Over confidence is often the downfall of even the best martial artists

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  16. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

What if you're an already violent and ruthless killing machine?

17. Black Armor

ha,ha,ha,ha.... I was wondering the same thing!

my teacher was telling me a story about the snap kick-

he said that just a flick to the nards and your in pain- while a good snap kick is going to put you and me in alot of pain, may not stop us from continuing the fight... but what if your fighting a guy on some type of heavy drugs and he don't feel the pain in his groin and just keeps coming on in.. takes some blows to the head, (both).. what are you going to do???

he said that when he strikes someone like this, he isn't trying to tap the jewels.. but break the structure in the pelvis area.. by rotating the hips in as the kick fires, one can go through the pelvic area breaking it.. the drugged up punk won't be able to stand... hence- the attack stops.

18. OBCT

OBCT New Member

I have been accosted in a club, on my way home, on the way to the chipie (once i got absolutely batterd, on the floor two of them kicking my ribs, attacked me in a club while i was having a pee, i jsut saw the tiles coming towards me fast and then i was down, which knocked my confidence more than it hurt)

I also worked at a supermarket part time where i had to deal with a fair few shoplifters (once I was even threated with a needle, so i backed off) mostly they were Heroin addicts so atren't all that forceful, but Cocaine and PCP addicts are a real pain to deal with, and people on 'roids, you're better off just walking away.

point is, apart from being battered once and backing off once, i've almost always been able to restrain the attacker, when i haven't i've made sure they didn't get back up, just to me it didn't at any time feel like a 'switch' had been triggered, i felt in total control of myself, didn't feel like attacking forward or backing off, i just stood my ground, nothing more, nothing less.

In a way (on a tangent here) it felt like when i used to skate (skateboard) and you see a set of 8 steps, not sure if you can olly down them or not, you know that travelling at that speed and dropping 5 feets or so onto concrete may well hurt, but you do it anyway, the adrenaline kicks in and you become calm, timescale goes, but i wouldn't describe it as a 'switch'.
    but thats just me, may be different for others

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  19. wcrevdonner

Okay, you got the wrong idea.

Im all up for saying, 'Yes, defend my family, will mean I turn into courageous hero,' if that what builds up your confidence.

I have been there and done it unfortunately, with a guy coming at me with a piece of wood. (Defending my brother.) At the time, I flicked my switch and battered him, (Only took one punch thankfully.)

After the adrenalin left, I was left with a broken hand, and a questioning in my head of whether I did the right thing - I won't forget the picture of his face during my lifetime, nor the fear of not being able to come down my road in case he came back with a load of mates to batter me.

Since then, I have been the victim of racist taunts, bullying, etc by various other groups. Everytime I have become angry, and one time was on the verge of punching someone. But because I controlled the 'switch,' I didn't damage myself, and escalate the situation, and potentially get myself in trouble with the police.

Thats why when you talk of 'defending your family,' I know of how I feel, and the consequences afterwards, and so don't like the idea of making it out to be something other than it was.

20. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I don't think people have a probvlem with your confidence BA. I think the problem is your perceived arrogance.