The steak industry

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kframe, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Ok, I am a died in the wool meat eater. I love meat, there is not one single source of protein that can match the God sent taste of meat. I have yet to find a single vegan/vegetarian source that sated my taste buds. Now that all said, out side of taking my own cow/sheep/goat to a slaughter house, which I have done, I won't be buying steak at restaurants anymore.

Now I am not sure how wide spread this is, but that is down right dishonest, and not to mention the higher probability of bacterial infection.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrEqMeWIVcA"]Ribeye Steak On The Grill? (The Truth About Meat Glue) - YouTube[/ame]

So what say you guys? Any fellow meatatarians not happy about this? Vegans chime in, I want to hear you guys too!

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Meat glue is banned in the EU

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Bloody EU, Stopping the sale of substandard meat, OUR substandard meat, bloody EU and their health policy........

4. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I think a local store I use does this, I got a couple of rump steaks from there recently and in the packaging (vaccum sealed) it looked like one big steak, but it came apart in 2, I found that extremely weird, now after this video it just made a lighbuld go off in my head. If this is banned in the EU what can I do about this?

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'd start by contacting the Food Standards Agency.

https://www.food.gov.uk/about-us/contact-us

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I heard about this and initially thought it an urban myth (this wouldve been around early 2000s).
    Usually end of play at the restaurant, myself, Dad and a few industry familiars would have long discussions and someone mentioned how America and China were doing fake meats and steaks.

Whilst it was very likely we were all joking about how much effort it was to create said steaks and not cost effective.

But when you're a dodgy corp/restaurant/franchise...its not suprising.

China has a lot of "fake" meat but lets just say sometimes that beef you're eating....probably not beef.

You've heard of the pink slime right?

7. Mushroom

Yup. FSA. Although they'll take your word for it, there has to be lots of people complaining of the same thing for them to justifiably investigate.

I've eaten dodgy sandwiches and pasta pots from Tesco...I swear the bits of chicken is actually mushed paper.

8. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Oh I wouldn't expect them to just take my word on it, I would expect them to just try a steak for themselves. It's at my "Nisa local" they use some company, or it's theri company called "Heritage" for near enough everything, from milk, meat, cheese. Some of the stuff like the frozen chicken or roast chicken was from Sweden, I don't even understand why they would be cheaper.

9. Mushroom

There's a lot of "testers" out. Mystery shoppers as they are called in the Retail industry.

They come in, eat and then investigate the toilets, food etc. Then there's the Health and Safety folk from the local council who barrage in unannounced (as they should) and find every fault possible.

But back on topic.

In China someone got arrested for selling fake pork buns. Instead of meat/charsiu...it was cardboard.
    Boiled, stewed to mush with seasoning.

Good times.

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Don't forget the Walmart China foxmeat instead of donkey meat scandal.