The state of MMA 5 years from now

Discussion in 'MMA' started by roninmaster, Dec 29, 2014.

1. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

*disclaimer- If this has been brought up in a different post, just tag me in the link so I can find it.

OK I'm a huge mma fan, it was the first and only sport I enjoyed for a long time. being a martial arts nerd for most of my child years it was the only thing I actually enjoyed watching as a sport, or felt I could relate to.

Which is why I'm so worried about it as a sport and activity right now. With the combination of UFC big lawsuit combined with steadily dropping ppv buys do you think mma will be around for much longer?

I'm especially worried due to the great impact MMA had on the rest of the martial arts world. Compete in the sport or not, MMA and its approach was effective at weeding out a lot of the tomfoolery in the martial arts world that plagued it since the Bruce Lee era. People who thought the dim mak death touch, and chi organ rips were what real martial arts was were quickly silenced when they saw real fights.

So would the martial arts world revert back to Ashida Kim silliness once more if MMA is out of the picture.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself, and reading too much caged potato or jumping the gun here but this is something that concerns me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
  2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

MMA didn't start with the UFC and it wont end with it either.

And the nonsense in the MA universe hasn't gone away, if anything, the internet has allowed it to spread further than ever before. People still practice styles that have very little basis in reality and it wont get better or worse if MMA's popularity drops away. I'll still be able to train, and the rest is just window dressing.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

If the UFC was to fail right now, it wouldn't be bad.

4. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

As others have said. If the UFC were to fail something would rise up and take it's place. If you look at all the different organization that have come and gone such as bellator, pride, strike force, their are probably others and their will be more in the future. As Dana White has stated the UFC is just getting started and I do believe he is right. I stopped watching ufc for a while. Then they added the women's division, now I'm hooked again.

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

that nonsense will always be around. marketing is very powerful. it's up to us to be positive advocates for sport fighting and pressure testing.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

MMA isn't inmune to marketing gimmicks and frauds. Hell, I'd say it's the biggest target for it right now. I don't think 5 years is enough time to see any significant change to the landscape. Maybe in 20 we'll have the UFC and several other companies as big as it, much like boxing is today with the WBA, WBO, WBC etc.

7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

This isn't exactly on topic but it sort of relates in the way that popularity towards specific contact arts ( or even a sport in general ) can wax and wane with shifts in the mores of cultures and people over time.

The wife showed me a picture of a boxing match being held sometime in the 1920's at Yankee Stadium. I thought it were a doctored photo at first. Couldn't believe that many people would attend an open air boxing event. 58,000 doesn't seem like a lot, but when one thinks of the relative representation of the population given what the count was at that time, its really unfathomable.

That fight, given the interest represented in the photo of the era, if held at a time when PPV and instant video technology could've brought it into ever-ones' home ( yes, there was radio ) what would've been the market share?

I wonder...

Of course, if you'd told anyone sitting in attendance that day at Yankee Stadium, that boxing would be considered a dying sport ( relative to its heyday ) what would have been the reaction?

Its not just the things that pertain directly to a sport that affects its future...its all the things that happen to a people in a culture over time that impact not only a single sport or pastime, but anything - music, art, language...

If you'd told the fans sitting in the audience that day that boxing would suffer a great decline, they'd probably been quite upset.

Asked the same people the same question ten years later and they'd simply shrugged, "its just a past time, after all" would probably be heard at least once - recalling that the Great Depression would leave the world with far bigger fish to fry than the future fate of a "past time".

The state of MMA in 5 years .... I just hope we don't have bigger fish to fry by then.

[​IMG]

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Mod note

Reminder about the ToS on swearing: Don't do it. Includes using asterisks instead.

9. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I wish u.s football would decline in the next 5 yrs. Between NFL and UFC I have a hard time wich is worse. I love football and mma. Just not the over marketed hype that comes with it. Big money cheapens what it gets involved in.

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'm not sure MMA ending up like boxing is desirable.

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Chainsaws, just putting it out there.....

12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

And both the nfl and football have the annoying coasting in the last few minutes. I've seen nfl teams start taking knees in the last minutes while far ahead on the score and under 20 yards from the end zone. Just try and score again dammit :p

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  13. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

In The Purple Cow Seth Godin talks about how to survive, flourish, and be marketable (especially without advertising) a product has to fulfill certain characteristics. It has to be novel, target a niche, and be the most-est at something.

The early UFC had all of these qualities. It was an open rules fighting event which drew in martial artists and tough men and was the most violent, most realistic fighting competition on TV. The women's class is a gimmick and it won't save the UFC from its decline.
    It also had the advantage of scarcity, being quite limited in the number of events they put on per year. When there are only a few. UFC events per year you want to see each and every one. Now it doesn't matter if I miss one or five, there are always many more.

As other have said the gimmicky cons didn't stop with the UFC. Unfortunately they have many of those same necessary characteristics for a successful product filled which is why they've been around for several hundreds of years at the very least.

Even if the UFC goes the desire to see realistic fighting competitions will endure which for me, and many martial artists, is really most important.

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Geez, just don't watch it then. Why would you hope for a sport to decline?

Some of us enjoy getting disappointed when our team lets us down year after year. Glutton for punishment I suppose. :cry:Oh Chargers!:cry:

15. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I hope it gets a little bit more orginization within the clubs, some are already there but across the board. Bigger better training facilities offering multiple arts together with weights & cardio etc.
    One stop shop for everything. They're happening but it'll get even better?

16. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Try being a lions fan. I still like to catch a game every now and then but it drives me nuts how the game is so micro managed now. Plus 1 hour of game time plus a 15 min half time take in all the comercial breaks should not take 3 plus hours. Thas my biggest complaint.

It all started when Futurama was alwas cut short for a chargers game. :)

17. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Have you ever heard of the Toronto Maple Leafs? They are the poster child for disappointing sports teams.

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Fixed :evil:

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Fixed 2.0

:evil:

20. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I don't remember that. Did the Chargers win or lose? If they won, it should have been cut short, if they lost..................:)