The "So There" Thread

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Awesome day so far. (Altho pricey).

Had a day guest pass to a high end fitness and health centre. (Average about £100pcm)

Did me some training. Bit of jacuzzi and sauna which Im hoping would've helped blood flow to my re torn knee.

Treated my friend to lunch at the place and was shocked at the price but was a good day.

Other guests were giving me the raised eyebrow of my exercise intensity, then seeing me hop from one station to another and then hobble off on crutches.

I love making people look at me weird (more than usual)

So there...

*negative point, chlorine always gives me a headache after.

axelb, Van Zandt, Nachi and 2 others like this.
  2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

What exactly did you (re-) tear?

3. Mushroom

I now have a high grade tear of the ACL. Back in Sept, I slipped on some stairs at a train station, I didn't fall but knee went crunch. Toes went numb.

By November was back training, altho slowly. Then couple weeks ago, I countered a leg sweep and must have re-aggravated the injury, swelled so much it looked like a tennis ball was hanging off my knee.

So that's me out for the rest of the year. Was aiming for 3 or 4 BJJ comps (1 right in my hometown too)

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Sympathies dude.

I went to a competition and watched some 1200+ kids and adults contest categories for sparring, patterns and destruction, with some other stuff thrown in.

The kids got the same number and standard of officials as the women as the men as the coloured belts as the black belts. The 1/2/3 places in each category got the same medals.

I watched deaf people compete in some categories, I watched partially sighted people compete in others, helped by people competing against them in the same divisions.

There were moments of controversy of course, but for the most part I was reminded of how flipping epic people can be when given the opportunity, and how high the standard of sparring was.

It rocked :)

axelb, Frodocious and Mushroom like this.
  5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

@Mushroom: Get well soon!

This seems to be a crappy year, injury-wise, for some people.
    My former JJ-teacher injured himself and faces half a year reha and such until he can start again, after his operation...

I had nearly completed my program for my bluebelt grading sometime this or next year.
    Was only missing a few techniques of the "Defense against..." part.

Then I showed it to my former JJ-teacher, as my current JJ-teacher doesn't care for the written down stuff, but wants to actually see, what I plan to do - which certainly makes sense, no question, but is a bit tough within the next two weeks, since we won't see each other due to the holidays.
    And after I asked him, the former teacher told me to send him the program and he would take a look at it.

Well... lucky me!
    He thought it to be weal for a future bluebelt; and I should also have another look for effective techniques, playful techniques and spectacular techniques, so the program covers all.
    Alas I looked through it again, marked some techniques I'd like to be included and that I think fit the above mentioned criteria.
    Now I'm down not even half the needed techniques again :D

Hopefully my training partner, the really useful one, has some time during the holidays for trial & error & play.
    We started today with a few techniques, that I thought of keeping - and will keep.
    And hopefully tomorrow I can figure some new things out, kicking other stuff off the program, replacing it with something ... well - good.

So there!
    Start anew!

Thinking of that, I might add myself to your line of misunderstanding this thread :eek:

axelb, Xue Sheng and Mushroom like this.
  6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Made my first oral argument last week -- court of appeals for the District of Columbia. I was terrified for 2 weeks leading up to it, but when it happened, after 10 for 15 seconds I entered "the zone" and they couldn't touch me. I did fantastic. :D

( And now I have a ton of things to catch up on. :( )

Thomas, Frodocious, axelb and 2 others like this.
  7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Some of you will know I'm quite keen on Huel (a meal replacement product which I've been using for a few years now).

It's not every day you find yourself listed on the same page as one of the guys from One Direction...

Huelers

Yours truly is about 2/3 of the way down. So there.

hewho and axelb like this.
  8. aikiMac

Wow, I had no idea you were that good at TKD! ::bowing smilie goes here::

Van Zandt likes this.
  9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thanks, I did ok during my competition days. :)

10. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

The one direction guys should be honored to be on the same page :D

Van Zandt and David Harrison like this.
  11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

So, yesterday was one of my teachers grading, where a friend of mine (well, I think we are something like friends anyway) and I were uke.

We did pretty well, I think, and he passed easily, now having his fourth Dan (J)JJ.
    We all had a nice day; I somehow talked to quite some people (no idea how!) and was greeted by a lot with a hug (no idea when that happened!) and it didn't include sentences of the "stay away"-sort (no idea how the came to be)...
    One of the people called me "The Dan-maker" lol.
    I wish that would be more true, because it's great fun to work for Dan-gradings - since these people usually work hard for it and I can learn so much!

So: I enjoyed and had a great day, and helped a friend to get his next Dan!
    So there!

Attached Files:

Mitch, Thomas, axelb and 1 other person like this.
  12. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Lol, I just realized how useful it was, to delete the name on the certificate :D :oops:
    Well, at least the last name isn't visible :rolleyes:

Okay, I'm dumb like a post - so there!

13. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

So in cleaning out my closets and what not I've been gleaning my boxes of MA clippings.Tossing some,keeping others.

Kept running across magazine articles I'd saved many years ago written by this one guy.They were some of the articles I didn't toss during this cleaning.

Except for perhaps himself I might have the largest collection of his articles of any MAP member.

Some guy named John Wang.:)

A few pieces of MA publishing history.

So there!

14. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Is that the one and only John S Wang?

15. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

YouKnowWho!

16. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

So, I look like a cheap Hobbit fighting a cheap Nazgul.

So there!

Attached Files:

Mitch, hewho, Van Zandt and 1 other person like this.
  17. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Got back to no-gi after taking a few weeks off to prep for bodypower. I only mostly sucked, so there!

Mitch, Mushroom, axelb and 2 others like this.
  18. aikiMac

This morning I did 7 rounds of boxing sparring with a guy 19 years younger than me, who has teaching credentials in both the Joe Lewis and Superfoot karate/kickboxing systems. He totally won on points, but I was scrappy and I never backed down, and I landed five or six really good shots on him. So there. :D:D

Mitch, Travess and Jaydub like this.
  19. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Just finished my first Hero WoD at CrossFit, Murph.
    1 mile run
    100 pull-ups (I used a very thick rubber band there, though)
    200 push-ups
    300 air squats
    1 mile run

Finished 12 seconds before the 50 min time cap that was set, quite proud I pushed through the push-ups and didn't do them from my knees. I can't do the pull-ups, but I am happy about everything else.

So there! :)

axelb, Frodocious, Mitch and 3 others like this.
  20. Mushroom

Confirmed on the list for ACL replacement surgery in 2 months.

Back to rolling sometime next week.

Hopefully competing again by Jan /Feb 19 - so there!