The Skipping Thread

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Simon, Nov 10, 2013.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Ya know its going to be a challenge when you've trouble going from the 'timid' little X to the nice, large and in front of me X. (1:07 - 1:12)

You either spent your youth as a chain-weilding bootboy or roping cattle on a ranch...

How long did it take your neophytes to get this down??

Great vids, BTW

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

It might be advantageous to master Simon's rope techniques before attempting such on one of those nine-section whip chains...

Finding this surprisingly difficult to get the flow down...a lot of subtle timing issues involved.

3. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I see a lot of brave Nak Muay who jump rope barefoot.
    A word to the wise....if you arent good at it...dont jump barefoot!

4. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

This thread should be stickied, I reckon. It's very useful.

Anyhow, I was going to just ask questions about my skipping form, but I decided that putting a video up would be more useful. I even went and put a shirt on for all of you :D :p. Apologies for the video quality; the camera was a "free gift" from some magazine subscription.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGGmmAZGbBA"]Skipping 03 05 14 - YouTube[/ame]

Any critique is welcome. When I was skipping I was worried that I was going too high, but it doesn't really look like it in the video. So that's nice.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2014
  5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Nice.

No critique needed. Skipping inside and outside of the rope, soft knees, tight elbows, great stuff.

Props for posting.

6. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

yeah, I do too, but it can really improve your footwork in the ring man. You should try to dedicate just 5 minutes a day extra to either doing it more than you do, or just in general. I just stay riding, but I need to do more rope work.

7. embra

embra Valued Member

Long, long ago (30 odd years ago) 1 Aikido teacher (who had been a boxer before) told me to learn skipping to develop footwork, spring and timing.

I started and persevered (slowly), even though it was completely alien to me at the time.

I never quite mastered (or persevered with enough) skipping perfectly, but after a couple of hours or so I can get to about 25 girly jumps, and after about a couple of weeks I can get to about 50 girly jumps; when opportunity and motivation takes me.

I always have trouble finding the best rope. Used to work with electric wire as well, but it was much more difficult.

Girly jumps are damm difficult though.

8. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Not only that but we do it with heavy Thai ropes. Good for conditioning the feet and toes when you mess up. :)

I do 30-45 minutes of skipping a day after a 8-15km run. :)

I took a quick video earlier after I did my morning 8km run and 45min skip. It's not perfect as my legs are pretty much deadweight at this point but should give an idea of how I'm improving. Nothing fancy, just skipping.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTyZa6TBsvU]Skipping[/ame]

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  9. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Just got a set of ropes. well actually they are two plastic handles with what looks like electrical cable connecting them, they look and feel really cheap. I have just realized how bad my footwork is and have also realized i can't skip. This is embarrasing, my little girl is brilliant at it.

Baza

10. Simon

And she's never trained.

Damned annoying isn't it?

11. Simon

That's quite a pace after a long run. I think you should cut yourself some slack.

12. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Agree with Simon man... that's a lot of working. If you're doing it because you want to really go a long way with your fights then that's great though. I just ride and do some rope work, but my back really doesn't like running. It's quite painful actually.

13. Unreal Combat

The running and skipping is part of a training programme that's a requirement of our fight squad training.

I think Simon was referencing the quality of the skipping, not the quantity.

14. Rhythmkiller

It sure is, now she says she can "train" me. But not just her, apparently her 6 years old friends are able to help too. A little more than annoying lol.

Baza

15. Unreal Combat

At least you only have to pay them in chocolate bars. Lol.

16. Rhythmkiller

Thats the beauty of it. My little girl gave up chocolate for lent and has decided to keep going...............She has stopped eating chocolate hehehehehehe the lessons are free!!!!

Baza

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  17. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I totally agree with this-but I've found that dance is even better than rope work.

btw, skipping becomes a better footwork exercise as you make it more complicated. For example, skipping while advancing/retreating, skipping on one foot, etc.

Cheers!

18. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

@everyone-is there such thing as a double-dutch machine? Where can I find it if so? I'd love to do some double-dutch skipping, but everyone is too busy to play with me. :(

19. Simon

Who's in?

251+ in a minute.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_AZ_vzx3ZY"]Beci Dale on "Guiness World Records Smashed" - YouTube[/ame]

20. Unreal Combat

That's insane.

Won't catch me trying that with a Thai Rope.