The Sage - Gateshead

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Jang Bong, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Since no-one seems to have mentioned it, I thought I'd give a quick recommendation for anyone in my area to pop in and visit The Sage Gateshead music centre.

My wife and I were lucky enough to visit on the opening night (along with 100's of others) to look around the facilities and hear a concert of mixed musical styles, then between Christmas and New Year we treat ourselves to a concert by Steeleye Span. A great night was had by all. :)

The main auditarium is a lovely place to enjoy music - and feels much smaller and more 'intimate' than you would expect for a capacity of 1700. We thought that the instructions to report to staff if suffering from coughs or sneezes was a bit authoriarian - until we realised we could clearly hear the conversation of two ladies half-way down the hall (boy does sound carry in there :D)

There is lots of talk and controvercy about the design of the place, but IMHO I like it. I heard one rumour that the curvature is based in the knuckle ridge of a clenched fist (nearest I could get to a MA link ;))

Attached Files:

2. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

i was wondering what that place was like. I'll have to check it out

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Havent been up there for a while. Last time I saw it (other than on the news), it still had the cranes up around it, and that was a quick view from the Tyne Bridge. Mebbes I will have a mosy up one day :)