The routine I've been doing since the new year

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Knight_Errant, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

OK, so this is what my new routine looks like. The idea is to stick to it for 16 weeks, then take stock of how I'm doing and think about what to do next. It goes:
    Monday: 1/2 hour run- switching to intervals after four weeks (4x200m, 2x400m)
    Tuesday: circuit consisting of 4 rounds pullups, situps, pressups, dorsal raises and burpees
    Wednesday: 1/2 hour swimming, and circuit again in the afternoon if I've got the energy
    Thursday: Weights. Power clean 3x5, squat 3x5, Bench press 3x5
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 1/2 hour run and circuit
    Sunday: circuit in the morning and weights in the afternoon consisting of: Squats 3x5, Press 3x5, deadlift 1x5
    one set of pullups after each activity to 1 rep short of failure
    Thoughts/criticisms?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. Osu KE,

When are you practicing MAs?

Osu!

3. Knight_Errant

Oh, I forgot. On tuesdays and sometimes thursdays.

4. Knight_Errant

I have to say, I'm beginning to experience doubts about this routine. My main gripe at the moment is multiple sessions a day, and the fact that there's only one rest day. I'd like to be able to squeeze all my fitness work into 30-60 minutes 5-6 times a week and then just get on with other stuff, like doing MAs and making sculptures. This was one of the reasons I liked crossfit- it meaned I could just do 30 minutes or so in the morning and then forget about it. I'll have to think about this...

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Thoughts? Well since you asked way too much volume you will burn out or get bored after about 4 weeks you are not blocking your workloads properly or perodizing workload and volumes, you are also not planning in rest days properly either one day of rest I simply not enough on that schedule especially if you are also doing two MA classes

Im hazarding a guess your priority is not strength building because I cant see you getting strong on this workout but you are maybe looking to increase your general fitness levels? If that’s the goal id drop the strength work to once a week and use it as a maintenance session, take Sunday off completely as another rest day and seriously think about how you have your days planned out: lifting the day after swimming and circuit training is not sensible if you are looking to increase strength, neither is lifting the day after running and then after doing circuits in the morning before lifting, and working out 6 days in a row with multipul sessions each day is not a good idea for long term steady progress

6. Knight_Errant

well I'm glad somebody pointed this out. I think the big problem is it's basically just a matter of throwing everything I wanted to do into the same week. Will need some rethinking. How about the following
    Day 1:Deadlifts & lots of squats with just the bar working on technique
    Day 2:push press & pushups
    Day 3:pullups * cleans
    Day4: rest
    repeat
    Plus a little bit of running and skipping?
    The reason I didn't put real squats in there is because my form has begun to suck and needs some serious sessions just working on technique.

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Just my recommendations....

MON - Running
    TUE - MA practice, strength training after (or early in day and train at night)
    WED - Rest
    THU - MA practice, swimming after (or early in day and train at night)
    FRI - Strength training
    SAT - Running
    SUN - Rest

On your strength training days you can use a body weight circuit as a finisher if you like it and have the energy.

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

what do you actually want to do , what are you goals?

9. Knight_Errant

Well, to begin with, I'd like to get quite a lot stronger. I want to get my squat technique to a state where it's not quite so atrocious, but I'd also like to work on my general fitness- the state it's got into is pretty alarming.

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

whats your squat at at the moment?

heres the thing you cant really improve strength and conditioning at the same time, one will take aay from the other and slow progress, ie running will tire the legs so they wont recovery maximally from your squat workout. Best to pick one goal at a time and still work the other but see it as a secondary goal with lower volume and stress.

If its strength you want to work on, squat and bench monday when you are freshiest (throw some rows etc it if you like), run tuesday at a slow pace ie jogging, this will aid recovery and help with conditioning, 20 to 30 minutes will be more than enough.

wednesday take a day off thursday deadlift, overhead press and do some front squats if you feel like it but only a few sets, throw chin ups in om both days, friday do your run again, and some short sprints 5 - 8 seconds up a hill or against resistance ie dragging a sled bands attached whatever, (if you cant do this find a piece of cardio equipment turn up the resistance quite high and do the sets on that).....resst until your heart rate comes back down to 130bpm then go again, do 15 - 20 sets of this this will work conditioning without going lactic and effecting your lfts, then take 2 days off and start again

Do a simple 8 week block of this: first week do sets of 7 on everything, day 1 4 sets with the main weight for every exercise, day two cut the volume and only do 2 or 3 sets at the main weifght.

Second week sets of 6, week 3 sets of 5, week 4 sets of 5 but only 1 set, treat it as a recovery week before you hit the hard weights:
    week 5 and 6 sets of three, week 7 doubles, week 8 doubles again….rest week 9 then week 10 retest your maxs

DO the same with your conditioning work, start with 2 20min jogs week1 work up to 2 40 min jogs week 8, with the sprints start with 15 5 sec sprints week 1, work up to 20 7 sec sprints week 8 when you take your rest week with lower volume week 4 cut your jogs and sprints down as well

Remember you are lifting twice a week, doing conditioning twice AND your MA classes, make sure you get the required number of rest days

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012