The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by warriorofanart, Apr 23, 2012.

1. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

I haven't read a book in a while, so I decided to pickup The Road after reading reviews online (and McCarthy is a favorite author of mine).

I have never been so depressed after reading a book in my life. The story keeps you engaged until the end, even as it constantly stabs you in the heart. It's about a father and a son who are living in an apocalyptic world, struggling to survive as they move southwards to a warmer climate. The son doesn't know anything of the world before the apocalypse because his mother was pregnant with him at the time it happened. So as to not spoil the book I won't go further with the story.

The book isn't too long, and you can probably finish it in a few hours (4-6).

A good read, and the movie is pretty good in my opinion too.

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

the movie is just as depressing. pretty much exact copy of the book.

3. warriorofanart

Yeah, but I wouldn't write it off as too depressing. There's a deep meaning in the story.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The book is a brilliant read. Nothing written by Cormac McCarthy is light and soft and warm. You should check out Blood Meridian. Excellent writing style... almost biblical. The Road was a great book. Dark. And... then darker. The film was the same. Defo not a first date film... hahahahahahaha.... but yeah heavy - but good stuff. One of the very few post apocalyptic films that actually is believable.

5. warriorofanart

I know! It's the believably story that sent chills down my spine. I actually picked up Blood Meridian a year ago and read it half-way. I had just broken up with my girlfriend and the book's dark writing didn't help my mood. Definitely going to pick up again and finish it. Ah! That book is extremely depressing too; in a good way.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

yeah McCarthy is most defo not a fresh-break up read! :D