The recent royal marriage, a question for Brits and non-brits alike.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kwajman, May 7, 2011.

1. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I have several employees who work for me here at a hospital in the US and there are 5-6 of them who were absolutely riveted to the daily dose of news regarding the recent royal wedding.

I have two questions, feel free to answer either or both.

Can anyone tell me why a non-brit would be so interested in watching the wedding that they would take time off work to watch it on the television, buy all the magazines, talk about the dress, etc? I don't mean to offend any of you from England, but the news yesterday estimated that two BILLION people either watched it on tv or the internet. Holy smokes thats a lot of people.

My second one would only be for you Brits, did the taxpayers put out any money for the wedding to cover costs of security, road closures, etc; let alone the actual ceremony itself or were the costs paid by the royal family?

I do understand there was probably a huge influx of money to the economy from tourism, sales of trinkets etc but I wondered how you brits looked at the whole to-do?

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Regarding non-UK people's interests in the wedding. I would say that its the romantic fasination (sp?) of a Prince marrying a person of the people (a non royal). It stems from the fairy tales that we all grew up on which is ingrained in majority of our story telling as well. (look at Star Wars: New Hope)

It was estimated that most people who went to camp out and see the wedding were majority from overseas. They bring in a huge amount of tourism income for the country, love em or hate em, theyre here to stay.

Yes the money came out of our taxes as Police, Army etc were all brought in for crowd control. However it was also said that Kate Middleton's family forked out a few quid on their side as they themselves are millionaires thanks to being involved in an entertainment/catering business. We were also given essentially a 3 day working week because of the wedding. Bank Holiday weekend before and an unofficial Bank Holiday weekend straight after, so a lot of people I know took 3 days holiday and ended up with 11.
    I worked those days therefore I got paid holiday rates :D

3. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Sorry folks but Bin Laden's death has rendered the royal wedding old news.

4. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

I would rather rip my testicle off and throw it in a ant's nest than hear anymore about this royal wedding. Had to turn off the news alerts on my Phone because thats all I was hearing about.

5. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Be thankful you were't in Britain. I ignored the whole event but my next door neighbour had bunting up all over the house and a big garden party on the day.

6. righty

righty Valued Member

I'm not a Brit but this is my take.

In basic terms they are just another form of celebrity. A lot of celebrities around the world have their fans and followers and for what is a bit event that is broadcast publically it's a big attraction for the followers who don't get the chance often at all. What other celebrity has broadcast their wedding to the public?

In terms of money I believe yes the vast majority came from the government (taxes etc). However I have heard because of the status and popularity, economically they are least broke even because of added tourism etc from the event.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

This. I'd rather hear about a royal wedding than Charlie Sheen or Lindsay Lohan's latest drunken fiasco. I mean, I'd rather be free of both, but all things considered, I like the British version of silly gossip more than the American.

8. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I can't remember which newspaper or news site I read it on but basically Mushy hit the nail on the head. It's the whole romantic notion of a commoner marrying her prince and becoming a princess.

The article continued that the Royal Wedding was of particular interest to those around the world who don't have kings and queens, apparently, some of the world are under the belief that the UK is "ruled" by the Queen and her family.

Previously, I've never really had any great interest in the Royal Family until Pippa Middleton and her fine, Fine, FINE buttocks happened... :D

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I get the impression that there was more interest in that bloody wedding in the USA than there was here in England.

According to the media coverage, we were all gripped with feverish excitement. The reality is that hardly anyone I spoke to was intending to watch it.

But of course we all had to pay for it. Can't expect the sponging German so-and-so's to pay their own way, can we? :bang:

10. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

This fascination with celebrities? To me, it means lack of a life. Doubt there are many martial artists glued to the tube or camping out. We have better things to do. If I've offended anyone, well, too bad.

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Offended only in so far that you are perpetuating the myth that martial artists are in any way different to anyone else.

As for the wedding, I think the interest in the UK and those nations where the Monarch remains head of state is understandable and to be expected. The interest in the US is probably for the same reason that you can't breathe for Yanks at any historical British tourist site - the Americans have little history of their own and are fascinated by the history of other places. The Royal Family and the pageantry that surrounds them is living history.

As for the cost of the Royal Wedding - worth every penny (although I doubt it cost that much, excepting the additional bank holiday, once you tally up the increase in revenue generated through the tourism and hospitality sectors).

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It brought a whole new meaning to the phrase 'always the bridesmaid' :love:

13. evojm72

evojm72 Valued Member

Surely the action of throwing your recently ripped off bollock into an ants nest would be a superflous one? :eek: Not sure it would really add to the pain my friend!!

14. evojm72

evojm72 Valued Member

She's no 'commoner' as you put it. Not sure how many of us over here can relate to someone one who's parents spent an estimated £250K on her education but then that may qualify her in your neck of the woods!

15. evojm72

evojm72 Valued Member

As for being interested because of the supposed 'celebrity' angle to the whole affair, I'd like to quote Eleanor Roosevelt:

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

I think that pretty much sums up the people who were interested in the wedding. And society in general.

Me? I was lucky enough to be in the car at the time listening to the Kings of Leon and then in a bar for the endless replays on the news so avoided it. Personally I didn't wouldn't've wanted to watch my own wedding let alone someone elses (but don't tell the wife!!).

16. Rich-Norris

Rich-Norris Valued Member

I personally hate the way people with little importance are referd to as commoners. I find it demeaning, like we are going back to medievil times and we're like pesants.

17. 36chambers

36chambers Valued Member

i myself wasnt intrested in the wedding. an absolute bore fest if you ask me. infact i worked that day to get away from it lol

18. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

@Chimp - yes Pippa was fit! She must work out. (lunges I expect :p )

19. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

Yes, I like Eleanor's take on the matter.

20. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Australia was always talking about the Royal Wedding, but at least we had the Rugby League in NSW and QLD and AFL in VIC, SA and WA. Thank god for that or I wouldn't have anything to watch.