The recent conflict between Muslim and Christian ideologies in America

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Yohan, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

It's not a conflict between muslim and christian ideologies IMO. It's a conflict between two different bunches of tools. On the one hand we have a rightwing christian who doesn't seem to have a handle on the whole 'forgiveness' thing and on the other people who don't understand that, in a modern well run democracy we can't really just stop people doing something that's not illegal just because we don't like it. We can ask them not to, and Obama has, but we can't actually pull them off the street and hit them with clubs until they stop doing it- and it's about bloody time certain Islamic elements realised that.
    Not that they're the ones at real fault here. Certain christians should start actually doing what christ said, rather than parading around being tools.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Eloquently put, SeƱor Errant. Eloquently put. :)

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

:)

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I really don't understand religious people getting all annoyed when someone burns their holy text.
    Surely...if their world view is correct...that person will be punished by god to the highest and worse degree possible when they die?
    You'd think they would smile knowingly and feel some sort of sympathy for the stupid actions of that person?

As I mentioned in another thread...you burn ANYTHING you are out of the debate.
    Savanarola, the Nazi's, "offended" Muslims in the streets after any perceived slight, this pastor tool.
    Burning something is not expressing a valid opinion. It's tribal and magical thinking that belittles humanity.

5. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

:topic: It is ok to burn those book just because they're crap though isn't it? Please say it is so. :hail:

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I can't believe a self appointed pastor with 50 followers actually got the press that he did. 3 Afghan's died today protesting this idiots actions. I just don't see one bigot's 'bright idea' as news.

7. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

There is freedom of speech as long as you don't criticize people of other beliefs then the western one and as much as all you tree hugging Greene dogooders try to convince the rest of us that it is not true that is exactly the way that it is.

8. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Grammar and punctuation are your friends. You don't need to be afraid of them.

There are all sorts of points of view on what's legal, right, moral and ethical in this mess and if it wasn't these 2 incidents it would be something else.

The Islamic community will take to the streets and burn their own houses and kill each other to protest some slight to their religion on a regular basis because their leaders incite them to do so. If not they might start asking hard questions about the way their country is currently run and why things suck the way they do.

In the US its not so different except for the burning and killing. People are being incited to protest and civil disobedience for trivial issues rather than asking the hard questions about the state of the economy, the deficit, the lack of sustainable economic prosperity rather than short term growth and our dependence of fossil fuels. :bang: BTW this is directed at both parties.

Sound bites and ignorance win again. I would really like to know where the adult supervision is.

9. GSHAMBROOKE

So you spent more time at school then me, or you paid more attention, or your just smarter then me, whatever here is my middle finger for being a smart ass.

10. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Your not a big fan of humor are you?

BTW, thanks. :evil:

11. GSHAMBROOKE

Who knows how the other person perceives it on the other end of a key board, so my apologies if i took it the wrong way and yes grammar is not one of my strongest skills.:cool:

12. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

No problem. I'm the same way with spelling. Thank god for spell checkers.

13. Knight_Errant

well thank goodness we got that sorted out. It's bad enough with the fundamentalist tools wanting to kill each other without MAPpers falling out as well :D

14. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

You do realize that I am going to print your post and BURN it!

That'll learn ya.

15. Knight_Errant

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I think he's suggesting that it's a shame we'd have to legislate that. Right or no, it's a pretty **** poor solution to the problem.

17. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

It's not the hate speech we are legizlating per se. For example "I hate people from Elbonia!" is completley protected speech. "Let's kill people from Elbonia!" is not. Hating is legal, acting on the hate is not.

Edit: Maybe inciting people to act on the hate would be a better definition.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No, I understand that. I'm saying that burning the Koran is a miserable way to commemorate the 9/11 attacks. It's not a solution. It's an expression, sure. But it doesn't improve anything.

19. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I guess it makes perfect sense if you are a small minded bigot, but what do I know.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Well, I suppose it also makes sense if you truly believe that the worship of anything other than a Christian God is genuinely evil. I don't. So I find this idea of burning a Koran baffling and wrong.