The profanity issue

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Maverick, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maverick

Maverick New Member

I know that profanity is banned, and that you can't replace offensive words with **** or &%$£, and they get edited and replaced with things like <deleted> and such. Now I don't swear myself so this isn't a problem for me, but thinking about it, what's the difference between <deleted> and '****'? It's almost always clear from the context what kind of profanity was used so it strikes me as sort of pointless to replace with a different kind of substitution, unless the whole sentence is removed.

Any thoughts?

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Personally (ie not the opinion of all Staff), the stars are either masked profanity (the poster has done it themselves) or the profanity filter has got it. Either way, its breaking the rules. To me, the stars spoil the page (I know, its daft) but it sticks out a lot more than "removed" or "<deleted>".

No, I wasnt swearing, I was using an example ;)

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hmmm... are you sure?!?!
    LOL.

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Yes he's <deleted> sure!!

:D

The **'s come from the obsenity blocker. Not only, like Anth said, does it disrupt the flow of the thread (its not a word), but it highlights to the potty mouthed that its required action from a mod.

5. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

I think the point is that you shouldn't even need the stars in the first place. Of the millions of words in the English language, I'm sure you can find a few that express your point more eloquently than a few *'d out expletives. The reason you can't use stars is to discourage you from thinking of using those words at all, not to encourage you to brainstorm more creative ways of skirting the rules.

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Couldn't have put it better myself...

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

geez, you guys are tougher than my judges...

8. CraigLeeJKD

CraigLeeJKD formerly 'into_the_abyss'

Lol yeah. They are only stars, so who gives a fu....just messin ;)

9. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

personally, i think it should lighten up a bit around here. I mean i was sin binned once for a post and it wasn't in violation of TOS at all, there wasn't one single solitary bit of swearing in it.

and secondly. do you really think anyone is going to leave because some big bad person over the internet called them a dirty name? worst case scenario is that some one gets offended and speaks their mind in return. get tougher skin. I'm TELLING really shouldn't be something you see over the internet.

10. CraigLeeJKD

CraigLeeJKD formerly 'into_the_abyss'

I agree that people should lighten up around here but I disagree that people should be allowed to get away with calling someone a <INSERT PROFANITY HERE> or whatever. Yeah fair enough, I've told someone here that they are acting like an idiot when they were personally attacking someone's beliefs, but that's a bit different from launching childish and unneccesary verbal assaults.

There's got to be at leats some level of order or this just degenerates into a "who can deliver the worst insult to the person they disagree with" forum.

11. clemsontkd

clemsontkd New Member

i personally do not agree with profanity and would not like to see it on this forum.
    i dont see the point of profanity anyway.

12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

You got binned for posting an unsuitable link :rolleyes: There's other things you shouldn't do here other than swearing - if you learnt that you might stay out of there for longer than a week!

The rules don't change to suit people.

If you post on a forum, you agree to do so by the rules laid out. If you don't like the rules here, go to another forum with different ones. There are forums less harsh than MAP, and forum's more stringent. People gravitate to whatever suits them best.

13. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

agreed. the rules shouldn't change for one person, but for the community as a whole if it was ever called for.

thats not the one i'm talking about. that was in the e-mail i got but it says in that same e-mail that i got binned specifically for a post i made in the new UFC thread Medi started. and it was not in anyway in violation, no swearing, no personal attacks. nothing. and you know it really wouldn't bother me at all, if it wasn't for 7 days every single thing, and then an additional 5 days because you guys don't let us out on time. but whatever. thats in the past.

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

If it was the post about blood and adult toys, it was vile, Tekken. Way over the line. I didn't report it, but man, it was disgusting and not even remotely funny.

15. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

well everyone else seemed to think it was hillarious.

16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I don't think nearly as many people as you think found it hilarious

17. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

So do you honestly think this community will benefit from people being allowed to verbally bash each other's heads in?

If it was nothing, you wouldn't have got binned. Given your track record, it probably seemed like nothing, but you' ve been asked not to do things so many times and still ignore it.

Don't pass the buck, you make the posts that wind you up in there.

Something might be "funny" to you, but if its not within the rules, DON'T POST IT HERE!

18. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i didn't say that, in fact i don't think they would at all. I was agreeing with you.

true, but its not too much to ask to be released on time. if it was automated things would run smoother i think.

19. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

But it's not automated. It's run by people who are bound to make make mistakes, like you. If it was automated, more people would likely find themselves binned or banned, because there wouldn't be that human element to put things in context. Sometimes you can get away with something, sometimes not. It's the nature of the game.

Bottom line, you agreed to the TOS, don't like it? Don't post. No one is forcing you to stay here.

20. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Its not too much to ask to post without swearing or name calling either, but there you go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.