The problems with grappling and ground-fighting

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Isaiah90, Aug 13, 2019.

1. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Bwahahahahahaha ....

That's all ......

ned and Dead_pool like this.
  2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This one time...at band camp...

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Laughs in Rickson...

SWC Sifu Ben and Smaug97 like this.
  5. Xue Sheng

You know, I just watched both of those videos, and besides thinking..."well there goes 12 minutes of my life I can never get back" This popped into my head

6. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Is that the Brit gangster guy from Ninja Assassin? Because he totally stole that one.

7. Xue Sheng

I'm not sure....was Bas Rutten the Brit gangster guy from Ninja Assassin

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Trust me, this is well worth the time to read:
    https://www.quora.com/profile/Isaiah-Pablo

9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

From that link
    Well then, that is all we need to know. Even though I think most of us suspected this all along. Just another mostly self trained from youtube person, who justifies it because they misunderstand what is meant by Bruce Lee with JKD.

It isn't really Bruce Lee's fault that his ideas and JKD get misused so much. It isn't his fault he isn't around to put a stop to the silliness surrounding it. But it is one of the reasons I dislike so much surrounding him anyways.

Sigh.

SWC Sifu Ben, Frodocious and axelb like this.
  10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

And yet also claims in another reply on Quora to be a JKD practitioner

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I'm liking his relationship advice, very much in the Andy stizler vein.... 569eaf67e6183e28008ba7da-750-563.jpg

axelb likes this.
  12. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I’ve found in the past that self trained YouTube warriors claim JKD as they completely misunderstand what Bruce meant by “no style” , ironically in this case , what Bruce seemed to be heading towards is what we call MMA today , which Isiah seems to dislike .

axelb, Southpaw535 and aaradia like this.
  13. Xue Sheng

Oh my.....That was.... interesting.

JKD!...really....how...from watching kung fu theater!? I've done a little JKD, and what he is doing is not JKD....That and an awful lot of dating talk.....must be a master of something....just not sure what

pgsmith and Dead_pool like this.
  14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That is comedy gold. Nonsense advice aside this guy is good value for money.

pgsmith and Dead_pool like this.
  15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The question answered on January the 8th is amazing. :D:eek:o_O

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod Note: Let's all stay on topic. No need to discuss someone's posts elsewhere that have nothing to do with MA's.

Video's of his MA's are allowed, because they are relevant to claims made. Discussions of qualifications, or lack thereof, are also fair game as he says he is an instructor.

But let's stay away from discussing his posts elsewhere that have nothing to do with Martial Art's.

Thanks

axelb, Southpaw535 and Pretty In Pink like this.
  17. KevinFrancis

KevinFrancis New Member

In regards to street fighting, there isn't a problem with ground fighting because most street fights end up on the ground
    so you need ground fighting skills.
    1. To take someone down and maintain positional dominance to inflict harm such as ground and pound, choke outs
    and joint manipulations.
    2. That if you get taken down, you have the ability to counter or reverse them to gain positional dominance to inflict harm.
    3. That if you get taken to the ground, you have the ability to escape and get back up on your feet, which leads me to problems
    of going to the ground when street fighting.

The problem with going to the ground when street fighting starts to come clear with a quickness "If you have ever been in these situations".
    1. When you suddenly realize you just got kicked in the side of the head by his buddy/buddy's steel toed boot/boots.
    2. When you got someone mounted and as soon as you try to do your ground and pound, 4 of his buddies grab your legs and arms
    and pull you of him so he can get up, then they all 5 want to fight you.
    There are probably a lot more scenarios where it's not advisable, especially in bars, but you get the picture.

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Addendum
    Last year has also called and also wants it's thread back please

axelb, Grond and Morik like this.
  19. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I really don't think that's true, that most street fights end on the ground. I know it's peddled a lot but I doubt its veracity. I'm sure a lot of street fights end with one punch, and one person out on the ground cold. Sure somebody who is trained as a grappler might intentionally take someone to the ground, or two untrained yahoos might clinch and fall, but in most cases people fighting try to stay on their feet, and plenty of online videos out there confirm many fights in public don't end up on the ground at all.

20. KevinFrancis

KevinFrancis New Member

You are correct, I should have said "sometimes" instead of "most" and yes, the point I was trying to covey was to try to stay on your feet.
    Not all surfaces are nice and flat, free of debris. Ice, water, mud, gravel, sand, uneven surfaces and street curbs/trip hazards, can
    all quickly turn a skilled fighter into an untrained yahoo.
    Sometimes fights end with one punch, sometimes fights never go to the ground and sometimes fights go to the ground, that's why one
    should have skills in all the ranges of fighting because a street fight is too dynamic based on environment, a persons physical makeup
    or their skill set.

Dunc and Grond like this.