the pressure to not lose

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by sprint, Jun 29, 2007.

1. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

I find myself curious as to how you think that pushing yourself to your limits is about winning. Its about pushing yourself to your limits- which is why its called pushing yourself to your limits.

Could you be any more juvenile about your training?

2. sprint

sprint Banned Banned

its ok to lose to someone of your own rank but to lose to someone of a lower rank reflects the instructors incompetence of promoting. this can also be a sign of a mcdojo if your higher ranks always lose to lower ranks.

i know at my dojo i always tap out to the purple belts and above. i have never once beaten any of them.

3. wrydolphin

And you base this stunning piece of evidence on what exactly? Does it really reflect on the instructor poorly for an upper belt to take a hand in training the lower belts? Does it reflect poorly on the instructor that all belts consider the standards of the entire class to be more important then stroking their egos? Having upper belts only work on beating lower belts does not foster learning nor does it really allow a lower belt to improve at a decent pace.

After a decade of training at various arts, including BJJ, I can tell you that what you are talking about is an environment which does not foster learning or comraderie. Of course upper belts can beat lower belts- of course I can beat people with less experience. But what purpose does it serve other then to attempt to make myself feel better? Does the lower belt learn from the experience if I just tap them as quickly as possible? No. A good learning environment is when the upper belt pushes the lower belt but allows them to work techniques and to get comfortable with newer material. The lower belt should be doing the work while the upper belt lets them learn. In turn, belts higher then your own allow you to do the same.

You bandy about the word mcdojo as though you have had enough experience in MA to really know or recognize one on your own. From what you have said, I suspect you couldn't recognize a real mcdojo if it slapped you in the face.

4. sprint

sprint Banned Banned

that is your opinion. i don't know about you but i learn much more from a loss than from a win.

5. sprint

sprint Banned Banned

again, that is your opinon.

6. wrydolphin

Its not opinion, sweet cheeks, its years of experience.

7. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

LOL! You might want to think about that one.

8. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Sprint, you asked a question and your question has been more then answered. You do not like the answers and that is your right but to act like the posters here are little more then gum on your shoe is a HUGE mistake. Based on your comments about your instructor it would seem that you train in the Cobra Kai Dojo! "Sweep the leg!" and all that.

Now I don't train BJJ so you can dismiss me and my comments as irrelevant. That is your right too. What most of these posters have tried to get across to you is that winning isn't everything. That being a higher belt working with lower belts is about you helping the lower belts learn! You should make things as difficult as possible for them but yet allow them to execute their techniques. I doubt seriously that you were trained in such a manner. If you were, the amount of time you spent unconscious has seriously affected your mental capacities and you should seek medical attention.

9. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

wry, you just have to accept that there are two trains of thought in instruction of ANY art (despite the man child's protestations to the contrary):

1. students help each other. as you've stated, upper belts assist lower belts, give them enough pressure to make them work, but don't maul them.

2. every roll is a "win or lose" situation, everyone has to be tapped out in three seconds or less, and little care is given about what the underbelt is learning until they've passed some macho bs about having "proven themselves".

I think we know what train of thought sprint and his school espouses, while it would seem a majority of posters in this thread who do BJJ disagree. Go figure.