the pressure to not lose

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by sprint, Jun 29, 2007.

1. sprint

sprint Banned Banned

do you have the pressure to not lose? basically if one is say a blue belt in a room full of white belts would you have the pressure to not lose?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Pretty much yes. It's the nature of belt structures and dojo hierarchies.
    Perhaps even more so in a an art such as BJJ that stands firmly by the grading system.

There are times when I've seen a high ranking belt get muscled over by someone much larger and stronger... you can see it on peoples faces that there is an issue there.

At least in my case though... being of low rank... I don't have the luxury of the pressure not to lose per say.. as I'm usually tapping. :D

3. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Nope! Losing either means I had an off day, my opponent was better then me, or their skills were better then mine.

I take wins and losses the same. As learning experiences. Nothing more.

4. sprint

sprint Banned Banned

cause something strange happened to me the other day.

i was the only blue belt in an ocean full of white belts. it was just me the blue belt and about 15 white belts. i felt this pressure to not lose.

5. sprint

sprint Banned Banned

until you are there you will not feel the pressure. but believe me bro, the stakes are high once you climb the stairs.

6. narcsarge

I have been there. Maybe you need to clarify what type of class are you talking about? Sparring? Regular class?

Really, I don't feel any pressure because of my belt color. I have been the only colored belt in a sparring class of BB 1st Dan and above and I felt no pressure that I should get my tail handed to me. In fact, I have often done quite well with upper belts in sparring. I teach our kids in our After School Program and I have been pasted a few times by them. I don't think, just because I am an adult, or a man, or a Blue Belt, adds any pressure on me to win. I just don't think that way.

In tournaments, I always spar to win. If my opponent is better, I continue to try to score. Never quiting! Even if the guy happens to be a 20 year old white belt he is still capable of taking me out.

7. sprint

sprint Banned Banned

oh. i see.

but im talking about brazilian jiu jitsu though.

8. narcsarge

Ok, BJJ it is. I understand that there is a level of pride that you have because of your belt. That pride is warranted. But you could easily find yourself rolling with superb wrestler who just happens to be starting BJJ. He may be comfortable enough on the mat to make things tough on you. He might even beat you because he may have more time on the mats then you do. The pressure your talking about is pressure your putting on yourself. Should you win against lower belts. Most of the time, Yes! Will you ALWAYS win against lower belts. No!

9. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

I think its healthy to lose sometimes, otherwise id get bored.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah there is a lot of truth to this. Often times when we lose fights we learn more than when we win them. If everything you try works in a fight all the time then you're not going to really progress much.

Granted you don't want to make a habit of losing fights. Fortunately most humans will be saved by the intervention of reality.... reality has a way of providing plenty of smackdowns. :D

11. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Read this. The topic is pretty much exactly what you're talking about.

I'm only a white belt (started Nov 06), so can't quite relate to the problem you're having, but I try to always approach training without ego - i.e., so what if someone who only started this week swept me or whatever? I hope that if I get promoted, I'll be able to maintain the same approach: like I'm always babbling on here, training should be about learning, not 'winning' or 'losing'.

You can learn something from everybody in training, even if they're at a lower level of skill than you (though that's often hard to judge) - simply means you handicap yourself in some way (e.g., start with them in position to RNC you, only use techniques you suck at, spend the whole spar working escapes, resetting if you get out etc).

Another thread relevant to that here.

12. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Definitely, you are going to feel that pressure, however relaxed you are. Its a hierarchical sport based on performance, so there's no escaping that. Plus having a blue belt on in a room of whites is like having a great big target on your back.

You could always ask to start from an inferior position and say you're working your weaknesses, so you've got an excuse. Or you could do that old classic where you pretend to start teaching them as they go for a sub. :D

I have a friend who started training about a year later than me. I taught him his first moves, but he has been more consistent with training than me since. He learns a lot quicker, spends lots of time checking out new moves from books, etc, and is 10 years younger and he can pretty much tap me whenever he wants.

I found that pretty offputting for a while, but he's great to train with, so I have to put that to one side and just go for stuff, rather than going all defensive. I know some people measure success by not tapping, but I have to forget about that if I want to progress because I'm small and female and its inevitable that I get tapped loads if my opponents are going for it.

13. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

I'm a very competitive person. I've always felt the need to win while sparring. If I lose to a blue or purple belt I feel I've let myself down. Some say this hinders my training but I disagree. My hunger to win has made me a much better fighter then those who don't care as much.

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

It doesn't matter. Many of us have been high-ranking students in other systems. When I did kung fu there were times when I didn't want to screw something up when I was the only sihing in a room full of beginners. There were also times when I just didn't care. I found the more moments like that I had, the better I performed.

15. sprint

sprint Banned Banned

"losing" in bjj is different than "losing" in kung fu. when one loses in kung fu it's all subjective. one can say since i did this that that and that i won. but with bjj its cold and hard... you get put into a painful submission and you just know you 'lost.'

16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Sparring is sparring. Tripping and falling on your ass is tripping and falling on your ass. Demonstrating a technique and having a brain fart is demonstrating a technique and having a brain fart. It doesn't matter if I'm in a CMA studio, in the ring kickboxing, or rolling on the floor with a bunch of guys. I have 12 years of (on and off) training in multiple styles, I know what I'm talking about despite being a new white belt in BJJ. My past experience didn't fly out the window when I started BJJ.

EDIT: per GF's request. Better?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  17. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Could you possibly express that in a way that doesn't guarantee this thread collapsing into another handbag match? :rolleyes:

18. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

I've been thai boxing for 2 and a half years and BJJ for a little over 1. Sparring in BJJ is different than sparring in thai boxing, at least in my mind. When you get submitted you have undoubtably lost, which I consider the equivolent of a knock out. Most time, while sparring, your opponent isn't trying to knock you out.

My whole point was moot anyway because all he wanted was to know about was it in terms of BJJ. Sir.

19. sprint

sprint Banned Banned

that is your opinion then.

but to me losing in kung fu is subjective whereas losing in bjj is cold and hard.

20. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

If it makes you feel any better sprint, I was reading someone else's comments on this the other day and they said that the pressure to perform once they were promoted led to them stop drinking and change their diet, etc for the last few years.