The plank...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bodyshot, Aug 12, 2013.

1. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Hey guys whats up? Several weeks ago I posted a thread about lower back pain and the fact that I was dealing with alot of it, the most common response that I got for it was "How often are you training abs, and what core exorcizes are you using?" well as you experienced core trainers might have guessed I was hitting several sets of situps a day, five days a week and wasnt including much lower back exorcize at all, so of course I had back pain.

Now I can admit I dont have a ripped six pack but I am very very happy to report that a month after using ab contractions while holding a plank position at least once during each of my workouts that my abbs are stronger and toned and my lower back is feeling great. If any of you have doubts about planking let me assure you that you can put those doubts to rest, the plank is awesome.

Now before I dis the situp completely let me make clear that I use them but only twice a week for one set each and only with propre form and a good hold on my feet which I found out was causeing a lot of the pain in my lower back.

So feel free to kick around your ideas on the whole plank thing if you want.

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Get into plank position.

Extend right arm in front of you.

Now raise left leg.

Hold position for 1 min.

Now switch, holding left arm our and right leg up.

Reap further benefits.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Another one of my videos showing a variation using swiss ball.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETX7A7SaZSc"]Drawing the Alphabet.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

4. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I do planks as part of a Burpee.

5. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Fixed for you :D

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  6. Jeffkins

Jeffkins Sleuth Diplomacy

For those that need a bit more challenge, try working on your L-Sit.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

squeeze your bum as hard as possible during the entire plank

8. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

What?!?!?! You mean that's not actually a picture of you?!?!?! (points at bodyshot's avatar) :p

9. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

+1. You're letting down the side man, not like my avatar :p

The plank is a fantastic training position actually, especially for someone like me that has consistent shoulder and ankle injuries (easier on the shoulders than press ups, doesn't hurt my ankles). Superman-ing with the plank is alright, but I've always found that the standard plank is pretty beastly by itself.

I've heard of people doing it with the feet elevated, but I haven't tried that enough to comment a lot on it. It does put a lot more strain on the arms but I don't know if it's in the mind or not but the stomach muscles seem to have an easier time for me.

I also saw a guy include as part of his warm up 5 sets at 90 seconds each with 30 second intervals. I haven't mustered up the insanity to try this.

10. Wildlings

Allright, little survey: how long can you hold the plank?

11. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I am disappointed to find the word 'toned' in this, and well, any post!

12. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Honestly about 1 min, but it aint comfortable for me. I do it though.

Baza

13. Wildlings

Oh why be disappointed, c'mon, tone it down!
    *Runs to the hills*

:D

14. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

It's been a little while but I'd got to 1 min 30 secs reliably but hadn't tried to push beyond that, so I'm not sure. I shall have to try again when I'm training and let you know :)

15. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

When I lived in korea and studied martial arts there, we used this as well as a variation of it where we would go on our back and the only points of contact with the floor was the shoulders and heels.. This works the lower back while tightening up the core muscles.. It is good as a back up to the plank to work the lower back muscles also

16. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

I can probably at a push manage about a minute before my lower back starts hurting too much =p though admittedly I've not done it for a while, so there is a chance my increased back training at the gym will have helped a bit...

don't forget the side planks - though my ankle can't support that, so I don't personally bother with them.

17. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

2 minutes +

18. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

I usually do about 2 mins.

19. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Started that years ago before i knew what a plank was.
    Part of my logic was to hold the Front Leaning Rest Position, army language :) ,
    for 2 minutes to get used to holding that position to improve my PT performance in the push up.

20. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

do you like bo staff?