The Peaceful Warrior

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Stevebjj, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I read many blogs regularly. I enjoy them, and the points of view that they express. One such blog is Martial Views. I'm bringing this up here because I know that the blogger doesn't promote debate on his blog. But that's what we're here for. Right?

I'm bringing this up, because the blogger posted today about a movie called The Peaceful Warrior. This looks like a very interesting movie, but I recognize the director's name from Jeepers Creepers and the hullaballoo that came out then. The guy is a convicted pedophile. He molested a 12 year old actor on the set of one of his movie and was convicted of 5 counts.

Now, there are many other instances of similar dillemmas. I know some people who won't see a George Clooney movie because of his politics. Paul Newman, Charlton Heston and many others are in the same boat.

There are some people who can't stand Robert Downey Jr. because of his chronic drug issues, even though he's a great actor. I'm sure there are many others.

Personally, though, I've never really understood or agreed with the idea that an entertainer's personal life really matters... until now. There's just something about the idea of putting money into this pedophiles pocket that I just can't do. What do you guys think?

2. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

The book that it's based on is really good.

3. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

A pedophile would definitely be crossing the line. And a twelve year old isn't exactly covered under the old Errol Flynn, I-thought-she-was-eighteen arguement either. I would have found a different director if I was the producer.

4. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i seen the movie, even though it's a little cheesily made, a good movie with a solid message

5. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

Piesistratos, I am totally with you on this one. Actors/Actresses will always have polical views, and since they are always in the limelight, they can use there status to voice their opinions. While I can't stand it when actors/actresses become politicians, it is within their right. I think also substance abuse is a much more "forgivable" sin. But child molestation is a different beast all together. It's much easier to forgive Robert Downey for his drug addiction, because it's easier for a "normal" human to sympathize with a drug addicts plight. But being a pedophile, that's something that people can't understand or forgive. Same as if he was a rapist. Now if he had imbezzeld millions, got caught and did time, I wouldn't have a problem seeing his movie, but pedophilia.....no way.

6. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Exactly.

7. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

But you actually bring up an interesting point, when is it ok to forgive one's past transgressions? There is a movie on one on the cable chanels, I forgot it's name, but it stars Kevin Bacon as a pedophile released from prison and tries to get his life back together. Haven't seen the full thing, but it did make me wonder. Case in point, I recently took care of an elderly gentleman who was recently discharged from Jackson state pen after spending 10 years for criminal sexual conduct. As a physician, I an supposed to treat the person as he did have some serious underlying health problems, and I prescribed treatment like a physician should, however in the back on my mind I kept thinking, why on earth should I do anything to help you. I didn't know what exactly he did, be it rape, incest, child molestation, but I do know that the charge he had did involve penetration. I actually felt guilty for taken care of this guy, I had him tried and convicted before I even met him. Technically, His "debt to society has been payed" and for all I know he may be a born again christian or whatever and have a deep remorse. But I still couldn't find it in my heart to have any sympathy or understanding, if fact it's horrible to say, but I keep thinking, man you deserve even worse than the medical problems you have. Is that bad? I treat drug addicts every day, and I have had my own problems with addiction as well. I have never once felt that way about anyone of my patients with an addiction problem, even ones who have robbed people, or have done time in person. But when it comes to crimes of a sexual nature, I have no place in my heart for understanding or forgiveness. Is that bad? As a "christian" I am supposed to forgive........but for people like this, I can't.

8. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

Went to blockbuster last night to pick out a movie (it was my wife's turn to pick) and she started to read the cover and wanted to rent it. I told her what we talked about and she immediatly put it back, didn't want to support the director. So thanks for pointing it out, however ended up with a "chick flick" anyway, the one with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore. It wasn't too terrible. Thanks Piesistratos.

9. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Actually there's a huge hole in your thinking, directors are paid upfront just as other cast members. He was paid x amount to direct the movie. If he were a producer it might be different story.

10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

See, as far as I'm concerned he did his time... unlike, say, Roman Polanski.

I just checked... he was sentenced to three years in prison, did fifteen months, was paroled, and walked of the rest apparently without incident. When do we stop crucifying these guys. Nothing has happened since, when do we say "his debt has been paid"?

As for the movie itself, just not interested.