The Paleo Diet Recipe Thread

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jabby Mcgee, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

After being initially skeptical of the Paleo Diet, I have become more and more convinced that it has many benefits, and have decided to try and follow a version of it (although I will be consuming milk and eggs). That being said, it is quite a drastic lifestyle change to move away from grains, which have previously composed the majority of my diet. So I'm looking for your favorite Paleo recipes, that I may try out and incorporate into my diet.

2. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If you're eating dairy then one of my favourite meals is scrambled eggs with cheese and veggies. I use whatever cheese is in, Camembert is a favourite, with spinach and, depending on how I feel, peppers, onions and/or mushrooms.

4. righty

righty Valued Member

MEATZA!!!!!

5. Jabby Mcgee

Thanks guys. Nojon, the Primal blueprint is actually the method that I am following, as it feels less rigid than the true pale diet, and suits my lifestyle better.

Frodo, that sounds like it would make a great breakfast - I'm going to try it out immediately. Thanks!

Righty, you may have just changed my life!

6. Frodocious

I often have it for brunch and it's really tasty. You can also do it adding small pieces of bacon.

I loosely follow the Primal diet, I try to limit grains, each as much unprocessed food as possible, eat a lot of veggies and some fruit and make sure I get plenty of protein. I don't worry too much if I eat 'non-primal' foods though.

7. Jabby Mcgee

That's my thinking also. I think that if one were to follow the pale diet to the letter, then there would actually be very little available to eat. How have you found the results? I've been slightly worried about energy levels, but I think if i get enough fat they should be okay.

8. Frodocious

I struggled with energy levels when I cut down a lot on the carbs, so I tend to eat some carbs post workout. There is a school of thought that women don't do as well as men on the really low carb paleo/primal diet, now that could have been my problem, but it might also have been that I hadn't optimised my fat intake. I may give it another try at some point in the future.

From my point of view, being too strict on your diet ends up controlling your life too much. I once went on holiday with a group that contained someone who took her own teabag to the cafe for breakfast, and I swore I would never become that sad! I'm never giving up cake and I like the odd sandwich and piece of toast and enjoy going out for meals with friends, so I'm not going to be too nuts about my food choices.

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i try to follow the same thing frodo. i really limit processed grains (like bread, pasta, polenta) but try to get lots of veggies (including legumes) with some protein. sure, whole grain pasta is better than white, but still, i just try to really limit highly processed food. i also don't sweat it if i eat carbs, i just love fruit too much.

10. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

There's quite a few really good Welsh recipes to go for:

Cawl (a Stew) usually of Lamb, veg (what's going), and a meat broth. Some recipes use potatoes (cheap filler) but the strict one is a Protein source, with veg and broth.

The west Welsh version is lamb, fish, veg etc usually with seaweed of some description (laver, carragenen, kelp etc) in a broth.

Also if you're feeling adventurous try 'proper' Laver Bread which is seaweed paste topped with crispy bacon. Up to you whether you add the doorstep slab of Swansea Cob (a loaf).

11. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

I know this wasnt directed at me. Ive lost 40 lbs doing paleo, got rid of heartburn, lowered cholesterol. I started by reading Loren Cordain's stuff about paleo, he says 85% compliance is enough to get results. Recently, another book that is amazing by Diane Sanfillipo, "practical Paleo" ive found very useful. Its a textbook (almost) of the science of why to eat that way, with recipes, and meal plans for different goals.(weight loss, athletes, GI problems, Autoimmune issues etc)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  12. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Be aware that Marks primal blueprint is designed for overweight people who don't enjoy exercise t become healthy with minimal work. If your doing heavy workouts then adding the carbs is what he recommends, usually in the form of potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash etc or even rice.

13. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but when counting carbs, one must figure net carbs instead of total carbs. To figure this, calculate: total carbs-fiber=net carbs. :) Hope this is of help to you folks.