The Other Side of SILAT

Discussion in 'Silat' started by IndraMuda, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

I have said this before but I think here is an example of what I was talking about. In Silat there are a few who try and claim Silat as a Muslim martial art, not only that but the keris as a Muslim weapon. Now I know that this does not apply to all but it is the case.

Some Muslims are skilled in the art of gelek and try to use that knowledge of twisting to twist Silat so it will fit into their Islamic box. Unfortunately for them no matter how hard they try to twist it there is something called history and truth which prevents them from fitting it completely into that box.

Aali:

Maybe you should meet InderaMudra, sounds like an excellent opportunity to get brainwashed and perhaps join his “inner circle” Who knows where it will lead you. I get the feeling it will be somewhere EXTREME.

Inderamudra:

You said yourself that you don’t know about other religions and therefore you see the world through Islamic glasses because that is how you have been trained probably since a young age. Now it is almost impossible for you to remove those glasses and see the world without something in front of your eyes.

You talk about a bird trapped in a cage, I think you are that bird trapped which is singing (preaching) the tune your keepers have been feeding you with.

It is true that truth rains freely from the heavens, thank god for that. Maybe you should look up and let it wash the mud out of your eyes.

You talk about the triangle, if only you knew about other religions you would know this knowledge is known by many people of many faiths in diverse countries and from different backgrounds at all times in history, past and present. And no knowledge of it is not the property of Islam neither is it only known to those who follow that faith.
    When God was giving out knowledge he did not give it to one race of people of one faith and keep the rest in darkness.

There is no religion higher then the truth” and truth is the property of all that are willing to drink from that well and no that well is not owned by Muslims ;)

2. tauhid_87

tauhid_87 Valued Member

I agree Wali with what you said, I dont care if you are a western, asian, european etc. as along as you are a TRUE MARTIAL ARTIST thats good enough with me. Indramuda have his belief that I truly understand but this is not the place to discuss about ALLAH .....eventhough I believe that my martial arts is connect to HIM.

By way Wali, if someone attack me, I attack will fight him that is very sure.......

Interesting thread.....

3. IndraMuda

IndraMuda Valued Member

Hi Tauhid, Wali and Others,

Tauhid; Look at that nick above you is it by coincident? :) Assalaamualikum Tauhid.

Wali,

Please stop knocking your head against the solid wall. Of course you will, again and again, being sucked into the thread. Without you, the cosmos won’t be balance. And the whole thing will fold as there is no longer any purpose to be served. The truth is always manifest it self with beauty and the sorrow always hang to beauty. Failing which Reason has nothing to function and no longer have choices to be pronounced. Hence who is Beauty and who is Sorrow is what freedom of choice is all about. The same applies between The philosophers and Al-qur’an. Both claimed they are the truth. The only different is the source of knowledge of philosophers is the intellect while the source of al-Qur’an is the Creator of the intellect.

Wali, Even we are oceans apart, I know who you are and I think you know who am I! The source is one but varies in purpose.

I enjoyed having you!

Regards

4. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

The nick above Tauhid is mine, what about it?

5. asli

asli New Member

salam to all :)
    oh my goodness..someone is getting ****ed off now..cool down my friend :D
    emotional replies keep jumping in now eh..
    aren't we all should meet indramuda, should the opportunity comes, for the sake of discussion, and to understand each other better..ilmu is something that u have to search, there's some with u, some with me, some with others..n that's one of the reason why i am here.. i dont have to be an EXTREME (muslim) after (if) i meet indramuda (which i know is not an extremist)..yeah i know what u mean by EXTREME..what damage the media has done to the muslim..
    no need to get brainwashed there my friend..i have my own silat teachers, and thus i can get the idea what indramuda is trying to say..what im trying to say is, this is how malay muslim views silat(at least in Malaysia)..there's more to silat than just techniques..
    if it is kept in the darkness, than none of you would be practising silat nowadays..kung fu/ wushu are chinese.kalaripayat and silambam are indians, silat are malays,and u can list others, well yes, different race, different knowledge, yet still are useful.. i hope u can get the picture of what im trying to say..duh, im just not good with words :D

wali, pls keep coming back..ur post is always informative..let us use this forum as a bridge to understand each other..

6. IndraMuda

IndraMuda Valued Member

Hi Narrue,

I didn't mean you. What I mean is the sequence of the nick that is: TAUHID & WALI in the same post Sorry! :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  7. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Asli,

What we are trying to say is there is more to Silat than Islam!

The 2 are separate entities not one. You do not have to be Muslim to know or understand Silat.

The island of Bali has Silat and they are Hindu. They have been practicing Silat long before the Islam religion came to the Malay Archipelago and I can assure you they know all the deeper meanings of Silat both physically & spiritually!

The bottom line here is IndraMuda is trying to convince everyone that Muslims & Islam has all the answers and one must convert in order to be a real Silat player. Well I am one who is not buying that message, good try but it's not working.

I have trained with Muslims and TRAINED MUSLIMS in Silat and they know no more or less than any other religious organization that practices or teaches Silat.

So I say stop trying to recruit us to Islam and talk more about the spiritual (Ilmu) techniques, philosophy & training principles and less on the sermon and this discussion will go much better because if I want to know about Islam I will read my Qur’an!

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

8. asli

asli New Member

what i can gain here is only knowledge(ilmu) and friendship, and im thankful for that

:) salam..
    ah, preaching islam through silat..so that's the MAIN problem here..take notice indramuda!! :woo: i thought that indramuda was only explaining about silat, from his perspective, not preaching islam..hmm maybe i was wrong, but it is useful to me..
    i guess there's no harm in knowing extra information, from a different perspective, only benefits will emerge..
    well, good for you! :rolleyes:
    indramuda, i strongly agree with tauhid this time..u have done ur part,explaining ur views of 'silat',so by now, other pesilat should have already take notice..whether they want to agree or not, it's a different matter..one thing for sure, i know it is useful to me, and i thank u for that..

salam persilatan dari pesilat melayu.

9. IndraMuda

IndraMuda Valued Member

My Last Posting

Bismil-laahir-Rahmaanir-Rahim
    In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

HI ALL,

WHETHER YOU REALIZE IT OR NOT MY EARLIER LAST POST WAS THE FINAL LEVEL OF KNOWLEDGE THAT ANY PENDEKAR CAN REACH. I HAVE GUIDED ALL OF YOU (MUSLIM & NON MUSLIM) TO THE TWO KNOWLEDGE (MAKRIFAH) LEADING TO THE 3RD. HOPE ALL OF YOU WILL BARE WITNESS TO IT. WITH THAT I HUMBLY WITHDRAWING MYSELF FROM THE FORUM AS I HAVE COMPLETED MY RESPONSIBILITY TO REACH ALL OF YOU,

I HUMBLY SEEK AN APOLOGY TO ALL SHOULD IN THE COURSE OF FULFILLING MY DUTY I MIGHT HAVE SAID ANYTHING THAT DISRESPECT ANYBODY. HOPE ALL YOU WILL SINCERELY FORGIVE ME ANY.

I ASK FOR FORGIVENESS FROM ALLAH SWT IF IN ANYWAY I HAVE NOT PERFORM MY RESPONSIBILITY PERFECTLY. I AM YOUR HUMBLE AND OBEDIENT SERVANT!

TO ALL MUSLIM PESILAT THIS IS MY LAST ADVISE TO YOU!

IN THE COURSE OF YOUR AMAL SILAT OR MARTIAL ARTS ALWAYS LISTEN, THINK, UNDERSTAND, AMAL WITH KNOWLEDGE. KNOWLEDGE FIRST BEFORE AMAL. FINALLY: UNDERSTAND THESE NUMBERS CAREFULLY:
    O1234567890

ASLI: THE ANSWER TO ICT IN AL-FATIHAH!

With that I bag to withdraw!

SGT MAJOR: Thank you from the very bottom of my HEART for allowing me to post in your platform. THANK YOU!

Assalaamu’alaikum to All Muslim Pesilat
    Good Day to All!

Thank you
    Hj Idris bin Alimuda
    IndraMuda/IBA

10. keris

keris New Member

Okey dokey, for what it's worth as a Western, non-Muslim student of silat, here's where I am at as a result of this thread so far...
    Silat is practised by human beings. Humans are physical, emotional, intellectual and (I believe) spiritual beings. In other words, I have a physical 'self', an intellectual 'self', an emotional 'self' and a spiritual 'self'. As these are all a part of me, they operate as an interconnected system - each influences and/or reflects the others.
    Whenever, and however, I operate, the process seems to include the following:
    Awareness
    Thought
    Intention
    Feeling (Emotional value or response)
    Action
    Review (Which essentially is using the previous elements to consider and make sense of what has happened).
    The elements in this process needn't (don't) always follow this sequence. For example, Intention can influence Awareness and Thought, rather than Awareness always helping shape Intention.
    I'm thinking that the key question is: 'Which of my 'selves' is most developed and underpins/controls the others?'
    Clearly, a person who doesn't develop their intellectual self or their physical or their emotional self is going to be lacking some aspects of humanity, so I do think it is essential to develop these aspects fully. However, if you believe that you have a spiritual self - a spirit or soul - a seed that connects you to the Almighty, then I guess you have to argue that this 'Self' should be the driver of all our behaviour; should be the 'Self' we aim to come to know best; that everything we do physically, feel emotionally, learn and express intellectually, should reflect the spiritual 'Self'.
    Perhaps our Awareness should be based on being able to see with spiritual 'eyes' and to hear with spiritual 'ears' - to ensure that our we do not interpret our experiences and interactions with others through our ego or our intellect only?
    If I do have a spiritual 'Self' - a connection to the Almighty that can be strengthened or weakened (a relationship that can be built upon or ignored) -then surely that must be the 'real' self - the one my other 'selves' should be developed only to serve? If this is the case, then everything I do - all of my Silat, like every other action, communication, decision etc - reflects the level of my relationship with the Almighty, the state of my spiritual 'Self'?
    A good friend of mine, a fellow Silat student, said last night, 'Everyone talks about the art of Self Defence', but if we don't know what the 'Self' really is, how can we know what self defence truly is?'
    So, I'm thinking that every time I do something that only serves the selfish needs of my intellectual, physical, ego self etc, I am denying the most important Self within - I am developing gaps rather than unity. If my aim is to develop my relationship with the Almighty, then everything I do - whether it's a kick, a punch, or even a passing word to a stranger - either helps to develop that relationship or gets in the way of that development?
    Too often, I feel my awareness and subsequent thoughts, intentions and actions reflect only my physical, intellectual and ego needs - quite simply, I demonstrate how often I forget my spiritual Self; my need to get closer to God...

11. IndraMuda

IndraMuda Valued Member

My Dear Brother Keris!

You Have "closed the Gap" According To your "believes"! Congratulation. Find the truth!

Iba

12. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

No the problem is not preaching Islam. The problem is saying everything in Silat comes from Islam and Islam is the only way. If you say that then what are you suggesting to non Muslims and do you think you will get a favourable response?

IndraMuda

You mention the numbers 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0. Interesting to see you never went to 10 but went back to 0, my understanding is that is the correct sequence and method. Shame we can’t talk about it, would be nice to know what others understand by those numbers. I know it is slightly different with each lineage.
    The important thing is to know is that those numbers have been known to people of all countries practicing different faiths at different times in history.

13. Moridin

Moridin New Member

Yo ICT(Eddy),

I look at your photo and wonder;
    1 Should your foremost hand not be on the other side of your face,covering your chest from where you can move it to block in any direction but especially guard your chest and not just your face?
    2 Should your other hand not simply be right in front of your groin to guard that spot wich is so popular? (Especially in Silat or streetfights)

I know it's just a stance and not what you go into a fight with, but still, it seems to me your sight to the left is hindered and your groin is open.

14. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

It looks to me like a ripper parry, or elbow spear, which is the correct 'stance' for such a move.

:D

Indramuda: You are welcome to continue posting, I find your posts interesting, if not a little confusing at times :)

15. Moridin

Moridin New Member

It looks to me like a ripper parry, or elbow spear, which is the correct 'stance' for such a move.

That move needs momentum (speed) to do it's business. So if you're already standing in that pose it may look the business, but will it do the business? I've never heard of standing in a stance with the move already executed.

Stances are supposed to place one in the right position to perform the move. And in Silat, it's more common to hide your moves and plans.

I'd like to hear what ICT has to say. I'm curious because this looks "half" familiar.

16. Wali

Wali Valued Member

I was probably just a "pose" for the purpose of the picture, and not meant to be representative of real application at that very moment... That's my guess anyway.

17. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

or perhaps the photo was taken during the movement?

:D

18. Moridin

Moridin New Member

I hope so. :)

19. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

'We' use this too as part of a buah. Maybe it's just a technique you are unfamiliar with?

Think about it. To which side would the opponent be?

Maybe a picture of the opponents position would clarify the use and put it in context. There are many opportunities from this position, a limb destruction being the most obvious. There are some other hidden opportunities too ;)

20. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

Salam hormat,
    Its not fair to judge someone by merely looking at still picture.....
    I'm a silat beginer, they were similar pose in our kuda-kuda. When we are in a kuda-kuda position, we put ourself in a defensive situation, meaning we place our hand to cover the perimeter. Example, we veiw the incoming strike most likely coming into two area, diluar (outside) or didalam (inside). Therefore, placing your hand into a strategic place will makes the would be attacker will attack the only opening that you give and you can easily redirect/deflected the incoming strike.
    And I could be wrong too.
    Salam,
    Tristan

Moral excellence comes about as a result of habit. We become just by doing just acts, temperate by doing temperate acts, brave by doing brave acts. Aristotle