The Original Black Eagle Fight.

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Pat OMalley, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Thought I would post up this clip as it is the very first official Black Eagle fight between myself and the co-founder Simon Wells.

Enjoy:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgr7yekLA"]1st Black Eagle Society Fight - YouTube[/ame]

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Nice video Pat.

Here's a question for you Pat (or anyone elso for that matter).

10 years down the line it is harder to keep your fitness, but you techniques get better, So could the Pat of today beat the Pat in the video?

My fitness and strength is nowhere near it was 10 years ago, but I think I would beat the Simon of the year 2000.

3. Pat OMalley

My fitness may not be what it was, but my knowledge is far greater so I think I would probably beat the Pat of 1996 with the Pat of 2010 but it would be one hell of a battle and very bloody with some broken bones I think.

Here is the re-match

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbJRqDHkcz0"]SIMON WELLS & PAT O'MALLEY REMATCH - YouTube[/ame]

4. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

That's a great video (the first one, will watch the second one when I'm more awake).

I'd kick Dan-from-five-years-ago's ass, and quite easily :p I was in better shape then but I've actually learned some stuff since lol

5. Pat OMalley

Here is Lucy's debut fight back in 1997. Now that is what I call a real woman hahahaha

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuW0ynOQSSs"]LUCY BRACKEN (O'MALLEY) DEBUT FIGHT - YouTube[/ame]

6. Lord Bathmat

Lord Bathmat Valued Member

Hi Pat,

What's the difference between Black Eagle and the WEKAF low armour tournaments?

Regards

LB

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Hate sparring girls, they have a definate nasty streak.

Good fight.

8. Pat OMalley

I think you already know, but I will clarify.

1. Low Armour has rules e.g. not puches, no kicks etc, BES are very limited in them, virtually anything you want within reason.
    2. Low Armour uses tournament sticks, BES use what ever they want.
    3. Low Armour is a tournament, BES is not. It is a personal test with no winners and no loosers.
    4. Low Armour you pay an entry fee, BES you pay in pain.

And I am sure if you go onto you tube, you will see the two are very different beasts but I am pretty sure you already know that.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  9. Pat OMalley

Oh yes they do, and Lucy has a particular flair for getting stuck in and if you even try to ease up on her because she is a girl, boy will you suffer for it hahahaha.

10. Lord Bathmat

Thanks for your answer Pat. And to clarify i didn't know.

11. Pat OMalley

Oh I am sure you do, even by looking at both formats on You Tube which you must have done o(therwise you would not be trying to compare) I am sure you can see the differance, just because a couple of people who have tried BES and fought is like a Low Armour Tournament, does not mean that the majority do not use the BES for what it is. A test of skill and personal knowledge and improvement.

Oh and by the way, I was the one who came up with the Low Armour Tournament format too. The first ever event was held at my club in Yorkshire back in 1999. I will be sorting the footage from that out soon and put it on You Tube, that will give you the chance to compare,or should I say because it's you, critisize, how it has developed over the years.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  12. Lord Bathmat

Pat,

I will clarify I didn't know.

LB

13. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Woo, Lucy can scrap! lol enjoyed that vid

14. Pat OMalley

Like I beleive you :rolleyes:

15. Pat OMalley

And to think, she has got a whole lot better since then (13 years ago)... Scary Huh!

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Nice stuff. Looks well exhausting. My only reference point is having trained in Balintawak some ages ago.

Question for you regarding footwork. In your particular style do you ever switch hit so to speak. It got me to thinking about its similarities/differences with boxing... so if you suddenly switched into a southpaw stance would it throw your opponent off at all? Is it done or it's just not done?

17. BakbakanFighter

BakbakanFighter Valued Member

People often switch, it has both advantages and disadvantages. The main problem is that if your stick is in your right hand but lead with the left, you are open and easier to read. I for one switch about, but when I do I change weapon hands too.

Your brother in FMA,

18. Dizzyj

Dizzyj Valued Member

When up close I like to switch to a left-side front stance so I can easily check with my live hand while getting the distance to hit with the tip if my stick. However take this with a pinch of salt since I'm just a lowly grade doing his thing! :)

19. Pat OMalley

Yes we switch sometimes, but if you look at the fact that the stick is more often than not we are actually in Southpaw and when the weapon drops I tend to stay Southpaw for the most part, but I am predominatly right handed when I fight, but truth be told I can use either as I was left handed as a kid.

But some of my people will switch automatically to regular once the weapon is lost, and some lefties lead in regular as this is where their stick hand is more dominant, it's a preferance thing.

Swithching is great for throwing someone off tact if it is done at the right time and in the right context.

Best regards

Pat

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

actually bro, i know of a lot of fma practitioners who cross train in boxing. it's as if boxing is complimentary to arnis. one of the "old guys" say that they've been "cross training" in boxing even before that term was ever used.