The only rule to self defence?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Tittan, Sep 30, 2004.

1. KungFuGirl

KungFuGirl Valued Member

lol yeah I'm sure rapists are really concerned with diseases.

:D

2. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

Yeah well, if someone has decided to rape you - I'm sure they don't think about diseases when you stick a finger into their eye - even so, I don't think it's a dumb thing to to. A finger to the eye gives you a window of oppertunity, where you can follow up with your elbows, knees, strikes, kicks, bites, tears, rips, locks, more fingers etc...

There is something with the wetness that I'm missing - I'll have to ask someone else who went to the seminar... There must be a reason why he told us to lick the finger before jabbing it into an eye...

3. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Hah! Good one. That's why you should never always trust these "guaranteed to work, failsafe" techniques, because someone will always withstand it. I've fought guys who've been kicked right in the dingdongs and didn't even flinch. It was incredible.

4. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

i still dont get the idea behind it, if it has come down to a fight, the other guy wont be thinking that rationally that a bit of spit will concern him, if it did spitting in his face would scare off every possible attacker!

Seems to be a bit of a "secret ninja" technique to me, works in a photo strip but not in real life and besides while your licking your finger he's punching you in the face!

5. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

It's nothing Ninja about it - it's not something you do during the fight either - it's something you do just when you realize the other guy is about to throw his first punch. It's "mostly harmless", it might stop him because he can't see anything, or it might give you one to a few seconds in order to get ready for a figth - or to run away.

Anyway, if you don't believe in the technique, I won't tell you that you "hvae to do it"... And it's kinda beside the point of this thread - where I originally wanted to discuss the kinda cynical "rule" to self defence - "I go there on my own legs and I leave there on my own legs - whatever is inbetween is just bs"

Enough about fingerlickin'? ;)

6. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

Just to bring things back from the finger in the eye issue to the origional point - self defense is all about not being injured. It is a very broad area. In my mind at least, it involves letting people know where you are and what time you'll be back, not walking down dodgy areas with a walkman blaring in your ears, walking with your car keys ready in your hand if there are guys of 'questionable integrity' hanging around the carpark etc. (there's loads of these guidelines, all of them are common sense ways to avoid being hurt - and therefore are self defense).
    Incidentally, I also consider 'not getting yourself injured in training' to be self defense.

7. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

Rules for SD

1-Survive
    2-Adapt
    3-Overcome

There are no other rules.
    ;)

8. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

How about "You walk there; Do more damage to your attacker than he does to you; and you walk away again."

9. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

Well, the entire qoute was: You walk there on your own two legs, and you walk home again on your own two legs. Whatever happen between those two truisms is just bs! :love:

As long as you are able to walk home again, you've done right. Talking your way out of the situation, fighting your way out, never getting into a situation in the first place (the best option if you ask me!), what happen will happen, the most important thing you can do is decide, right now, to follow the above "truisms".

Jeff (Espinous) also said: "Today is when you have to decide if you're a "giver" or a "taker"."
    That is, do you give pain or take pain in a fight? If you wait untill you are there (in the situation where a fight is unavoidable) to decide, you will loose. If you decide you're a "taker" you could as well sit at home, d/l some movies and order some pizza. If you ever venture outside and get mugged, you will most likely die.
    I fyou decide you're a "giver" you can live your life at the fullest. If someone decide to mug you, you give them h*ll, and walk home.

Another (near)quote: "If you have to fight, you should use techniques that are close to perfect (that is: things you know work, not flashy stuff!). Then, if you get arrested, at least you can sit in your cell thinking: "Man, that was a GREAT elbow-smash I gave him!""

Many people have problems with this way of thinking, but those are likely to be the people that never have had to defend themself, or someone they love. Myself, I got mugged by two idiots as I was walking home with my petite wife. I got scared, and very angry, and did everything I could to keep the two guys away from my wife. I managed as well, but it cost me a lot of bruises and a pain in the ribs (nothing broken though). The two guys - well, one broke his elbow when "he slipped on the ice as he came at me" (sweping kicks DO work!), the other was out cold when the cops arrived... I adapted Jeff's thoughts the moment he said them, and I KNOW I'm a "giver"!