The Next Mayweather?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by slipthejab, Dec 3, 2012.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

What's your thoughts?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5qq9iopO1I"]The Next Floyd Mayweather? Adrien Broner (Youngest Boxing World Champion 22 Wins - 0 Losses) - YouTube[/ame]

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Great, another guy who can fight who has a personality I hate and thinks he can "rap." :p

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

That's pretty much every black person I've ever met living in Toronto.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

So you're saying he's not got the classy demeanor of a Jon 'Bones' Jones? :D
    How do you reckon he is strategy wise? Is his defense as tight as Mayweather?

5. Ero-Sennin

I watched the fight that was highlighted in the video but it's the only Broner fight I've seen. He was very dominant throughout the whole match and dictated the pace, it was impressive to watch. I can't give too much of an opinion because I haven't seen any other fights and I don't have in depth knowledge of his opponents but that fight was a good fight to watch. The only thing I noticed is his stance was very wide, but he even acknowledged it in the post fight interview with a "ha ha haters" comment about it as well. He's definitely not the type of fighter who's personal life I would follow along with his fighting, but he definitely seems like a good fighter to watch.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I don't like him already, great boxer though. :D

7. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

Austin Trout beat Cotto just as decisively as Money May did. Who knows maybe he is the next Pretty Boy.

8. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

How about you, Slip?
    What's your opiinion about him so far?

9. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I saw his fight with Ponce de Leon just now. Atrocious. Not only should he have lost that fight, he was dancing and taunting upon hearing the decision. I really dislike guys like that and while people are happy they have another cocky and flamboyant prospect, I can only see him hurting the sport with his behavior. Do people not understand that cocky guys like him destroyed rap and hiphop?

About his boxing skills, sure he has skills but his defense is not fun to look at. Considering the fact that's his thing and all, defense, he sure looks boring (crappy) doing it. At least Mayweather can wow people with his fluid and slippery defense, this guy just just blocks and walks through punches. Stepping out of range and dodging the occasional wild haymaker does not impress me.

He is still young and will surely improve a lot, but at his age I felt Mayweather was a much more special athlete and I have serious doubts if this guy is made out of the same wood. (is that an english expression? I dont know, it is definitely Dutch though :D)

10. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Is that possible? :eek:

11. puma

puma Valued Member

I very much doubt this guy will put the hard work in Mayweather does. Love him or hate him, one thing that can not be denied is how hard Mayweather trains. He is never out of shape. There have been question marks over Broner in this department already.

12. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

13. puma

puma Valued Member

I think for Broners next fight he should have his right glove tied to his left boot to even it up a little. I think it will be a complete mismatch.

14. Ero-Sennin

Broner had a fight the other night. Only reason I know is because the boxing gym I go to posted on their Facebook about it. I talked to the owner today and asked him if he liked Broner. Thank god he replied with, "as a person, way too cocky without having really done anything yet, but he can fight."

I was so happy. My gym already is a big Mayweather fan, I don't need to put up with the gym liking TWO guys I absolutely hate : P!

15. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

If "Next Mayweather" means a technically superb American boxer who will remain undefeated for a long, long time and become a legend of the sport then I think you mist-typed "Andre Ward".

16. shootodog

shootodog restless native

I have a different definition of Mayweather...

17. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Meant to post this yesterday but forgot. So it's official, he's fighting Robert Guerrero in May. Should make for an interesting fight. I honestly thought he'd go the easier route and take the fight with Canelo. Guerrero has the potential to put a lot of hurt on Floyd and considered Floyd's previous performance against a slow Cotto, it appears his age is finally catching up with him.

I'll go out on a limb and say I'll give Guerrero at least 1 KD on Floyd, but not speculating far out enough to see an end result yet.

18. puma

puma Valued Member

It will be Mayweather on points in a one-sided fight again. After 2 rounds it will be one-way traffic.

Is this I hear about a 6-fight deal true?

19. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

It is true indeed. 30 months and 6 fights, unsure of whichever comes first but Mayweather only fights once a year any way, although he promised to fight twice in 2013. This one's scheduled for May 4th.

I don't think this will be a one-sided fight at all though, but I would give it to Floyd on points as well. Guerrero is a southpaw and we all know Floyd has a much harder time against southpaws. Although he's not nearly as an established fighter as Floyd, he's still a very promising fighter. Hasn't lost since 2006 or something I think, back when he was a fly/feather-weight.

20. Ero-Sennin

I just hope Mayweather isn't smart enough to retire when he actually does start going downhill, and somebody knocks him the heck out. I can't stand that dude. That said, I do respect his ability. You can still be awesome and be hate approved.