The new Xbox 'Experience'!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Tatsumaru, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

So, any other MAPers switched on their 360's today? The new Xbox dashboard update is now out and there are quite a few changes, the most obvious of which is the addition of microsoft's interpretation of the Mii...well maybe interpretation isn't quite the right word, they basically are exactly the same :)

I haven't had much chance to try it all out yet, having only just downloaded the update about 15 mins ago, but I'd be interested to hear what others think. There is still the option of going back to the old style dashboard if you prefer, so are people gonna stick with what they know or does everybody love the new look?

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

My son's done all the work on mine but I haven't seen it yet.

3. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Argh, I hate it. Freezes constantly, and looks rather strange. They killed the blades too!
    And my avatar looks too much like me.

And you're slightly wrong about going back to the old one, the only hint of it is pressing the guide button. You can't go back to the original, as far as I know.
    If in fact you do find the option, please let me know ASAP?

4. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

5. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

I hate it. The interface seems to just be an asinine attempt at making a knockoff of the Wii's interface elements. I'd revert back if I could.

6. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

makes no difference to me. What do I do online? Play a game every now and then. Big deal. I don't care what the interface looks like.

7. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

You look like a tart! :)

Just kidding. I haven't made my Mii (avatar) yet but son did. It looks like it is a bit more user friendly but frankly, I don't care. I enjoy the game play, not the bells and whistles...

8. Moi

I saw the Avatar the little get made. Too scary, I had to change it. :mad:

As for the rest, never use it. Style over function.

Although the multiple chat might be good for gameplay and keep my negative rep down.

9. Sgt_Major

I know at least 3 guys who got RRoD immediately after download :(

10. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

eh? RRoD? Do explain thei jargon old chap :)

I like for one reason alone. It contained a media update that allows you to play xvid/divx/avi files. So i connected my bundle of joy to my computer and i can now watch all my movies, through my TV! Score!

(I did need to download another media update of LIVE though. Was still free mind.)

11. Moi

ring of death (colour=red) Dead X-box. Send it back and they give you a knew one.

12. Sgt_Major

Ate, Red Ring of death - Console is dead and needs replaced/repaired.

Can't see why a firmware/software update could cause it, but it seems to on some consoles.

13. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

Yeah it shouldnt cause it.

I thought the main problem that caused RRoD (oh yeah im in the know now!) was the heat issue. The heat caused by the console causes the motherboard to sag slightly, this then comes in to contact with another of the circuit board...this then dies. = RRoD

14. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

Thats very weird if there is a link between the update and RRoD, like others have said I thought it was caused by overheating and poor hardware design from microsoft so i'm not sure how an update could change either of those factors :confused:

I was wrong about being able to get back to the old dashboard, which is slightly lame, although you get something very similar when you press the xbox guide button even if you are on the new dashboard.

Party chat is definitely something that should have happened a long time ago, but I have to agree other than that it is all a bit gimmicky with not that much that I'll end up finding useful.

15. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

There isn't ONE thing that can cause the RRoD. It's multiple things that can cause multiple problems that give you multiple variations of the RRod. That's why there are four lights but most people only get three at a time. Each different sequence of lights indicates a different problem with the machine. It's really, really, stupid. But I like my Xbox. Oh well. I will deal with it if I ever get it again.

16. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Means "general hardware failure!" so could be absolutely anything.
    Covering a multitude of sins.
    I haven't dares put the NXE on my old console yet, I don't think it can take it.

17. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

I thought the RRoD referred speifically to having the 3 flashing red quarters light up, I know there are other error signs as well but I think its only that one specific one that is RRoD and is covered by Microsoft's 3 year warranty thing. As Rhea said I suppose it's still a pretty vague error message though!

18. Sgt_Major

19. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

good find sgt :)

20. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Can't understand why people don't like it, I love it. Party chat, better presentation of the achievements in the menu (miles easier to navigate), nice little Mii rip offs a nice bonus, cool streaming trailers, more detail on what people are playing on your friends list... I'm sure there is more but that's just off the top of my head.