The movements common to the FMA

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Melanie, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Why are triangles and circular or semi-circular moves common to the FMA ? Its just something I heard Sensei mention but I can't remember what he said. We apparently have an inqusition coming up shortly and I don't think anyone else was paying attention either, well the people I have asked anyway.

Thanks

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Well, triangles, circles, and semi-circles are common to all MA that I've ever seen :)

However ... specifically in the FMA, the triangles are used a lot in the footwork. They're used for evasion and for closing the gap. Triangles are also used a lot in balance disruption theory.

The circles and semi-circles are important in a lot of ways. Hip torque is important for power generation ... and hip torque is a circular motion. Sticks, when swung with power, will always follow a circular path (note, I'm referring to strikes not thrusts ... though thrusts can be circular as well). There are some linear strikes but they aren't the really powerful shots (not to say they're *not* powerful ... just less powerful). Circular motion (torque) is also pivotal to many (most?) joint locks.

But, really, all of this is applicable to triangles and circles in many arts.

Hope that helps :)

Mike

3. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Thanks Pesilat...that does follow and even makes sense to me at this time of the morning :)

I will probably be back for more answers as the class had a few more questions when I left.

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

LOL ... All righty. I'll answer what I can :)

I think that between Yoda and I, we should be able to field most any FMA questions that pop up.

Take care, Mike

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yup - I reckon we can cover it Mike :D

6. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Hi guys,

Mike, that court order obviously doesn't apply anymore. Are we absolutely everywhere or what?

7. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

LOL ... I do believe so :)

From the sounds of it, between a few of us here, we've pretty got a presence in every MA discussion group on the net ;)

Mike