The Most Honest Intro Ever!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by flashlock, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Wow! I must go and rethink my life after that fantastic display of humour. Have you ever considered going on stage?

Dude, gay jokes are so old and lame. If you really wan't to insult me, say something funny, instead of showing that you're just a homophobe, and an unfunny one at that.

In any case, what's with all the hostility?

Em

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2007
  2. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Thanks! I appreciate that!

3. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Because they would erase my changes, and I changed them back over and over.

That's what wikipedia is about... they thought they owned their own entry, like an ad or something.

They were wrong. :)

4. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Kraken, I have to say I agree with the point that there is always a human element involved. But, oh damn... the old school D&D reference! He doesn't mess around with D20. He busts out the THAC0 reference... and even knows to put a zero at the end. That's serious! :D

5. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

LOL Kraken's post was really funny with all the D&D references.

6. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

What's really sad is... I knew what he was talking about. :Alien:

7. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

Same here... :cry:

8. Kraken

Kraken Valued Member

Hehehe iam glad you found my last post amusing , i didnt want it to sound to serious, its just when i read your first post flashlock the first thing that came to my head was D&D hahaha

9. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

What impressions are there to get passed, you are a noob, you have limited experience in (many) martial arts. All your experience amounts to nothing, you simply are not a reliable source of information. An informed opinion is always welcomed, but an opinion that is uniformed is well worthless.

As with most of your posts. THis is not saying in the future you won`t have something useful to say, but most of your posts are missing the proverbial mark.
    Gambatte Kudasai

As for the reason why most of your posts in a different thread (s) are being ignored ... well people have begun to simply ignore everything you say.

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Yes, I'm saying its not a concern. You shouldn't be so negative. Ever wondered where the original idea for having a BJJ section on MAP came from?

Because I happened across both the posts in 2 threads I was watching, one after the other as it goes. You do like your conspiracy theories don't you.

I get heaps of PM's, I don't have time to answer them all, which is why I never got round to yours. I never intentionally ignore anyone, but sometimes I have limited time and have to answer the important ones first.

I'll answer you here rather than PM'ing you.

Have you not heard of workload prioritisation? The BJJ forum was only requested just over a week ago. What I posted about people demanding applies exactly to situations like this. There's only me and Aegis who does the technical side of things, and our workload is already pretty big. We haven't had time to discuss it properly yet, and until we do, we aren't even going to entertain it.

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'm really struggling to see the problem here. Am I the only one who can see this?

[​IMG]

12. GoktimusPrime

GoktimusPrime New Member

Hi there, it's late at night and I can't be arsed reading this entire thread (so I'm apologising in advance if it's already been discussed), so I'm just gonna directly reply to this...

Hi there. I practise Kung Fu - Praying Mantis to be specific - and I grapple lots. I've played around with some BJJ guys before and I have no problems mucking around with them. In fact, the last time I sparred with BJJ guys they were quite surprised at how comfortable I was with being grappled and counter-grappling. They don't call it "Praying Mantis" for nothing. ;)

As for the whole "chi energy" thing, there's really nothing strange or mysterious about it. It's essentially all about biomechanics and metabolism, and training and conditioning one's body to efficiently use biomechanic principles and maximise efficient metabolism via the respiratory system. There are lots of people out there who love to shroud qi in mystery and make it sound all spooky and crap... they're called Kung Fu Hippies who smoke way too much pot. :p In my Kung Fu training experience I've met plenty of people like that - and like you, I just wanna punch their heads in. :D

But please don't judge all of us by their standard. Some of us are sane and think with this thing called LOGIC! Gasp!! ;)

13. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

Hey Flash,

Over the months you've been posting, you have definately matured in your martial arts views, and to that I salute you! (Especially since you are where my neighbor to the north in the past) I know that school in GR, off of Division. I think that every martial art has something to offer. Believe it or not, your Kung Fu experiece was very valuable, it made you realize that it wasn't the path you wanted to go down, i.e. grappling over striking. Zen like answer....everything happens for a reason. That 4-5 year old taking TKD, it's not so much learning to fight, but maybe it's just standing in line, learning how to listen and interact with others instead of watching TV or hours on the play station. Renting American Ninga and thinking it would be cool to learn how to use a sword and learing about Japanese history. Maybe watching a Seagal movie and looking into Aikido then learning the philosphy of "getting out of the way" and respecting life, preventing as much harm to your opponent as possible. There are reasons for all arts and the reasons for taking them are are different as all of us posting here on MAP.

Plus I also enjoy reading your posts, it makes you think. So, keep posting and keep training!!!

14. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Thanks, appreciate the encouragement and your take on training!

15. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Yeah, RJH, some day I'll have as much experience as you, then have something to say. I can't wait! If you ever come to Melbourne, let me know, I could learn so much from you, you have so much real fighting experience.

I'll invite my Brown Belt BJJ instructor, too. You can explain how our theories are so wrong (he's multiple BJJ champion and World Competitor, he also does security and bouncing work... 75% of my theories about fighting are from him. I'm sure he'd love to test out your theories; heck, me too!).

On the shoulders of giants and all that... :D

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Wow. Did you miss the memo on humility? If this post was intended to make Flashlock look bad, it's backfired. Thought you ought to know.

Stuart

17. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

It wasn`t to make him look bad. So it couldn`t have back fired to bad then eh!

I think you are missing something about the meaning of humility.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  18. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

If I am ever in Melbourne I will stop by it could be fun. The same goes if your in Japan. I`ll rent out a budokan.
    Invite your instuctor if you like that would be fine. We can train and have a few beers afterwards to.

On your teachers theories, I don`t see him posting them here do I. Nor do I see him making any comments about anything.
    I simply don`t know what your teacher thinks, you might have gotten them wrong since you haven`t been training that long.

19. winchunguy

winchunguy Valued Member

:D :D :D :D That was clever! I laughed my head off. Just curious flashlock, are you missing any teeth? :D

Just kidding man! You're entitled to your opinion, we still live in free countries, well sort of...

But before I get into serious discussions about what works and what doesn't on the street, maybe you should stick with one thing for awhile.

BTW, I don't know if you've ever heard of winchun, but you might be interested to know it is a very effective fighting style. I spend most of my time on this web site retorting people who know less than they should about this art, yet persist in attempting to downgrade it as some sort of chinese pass time. But hey if your thing is BJJ , go with it! It doesn't mean you wont get your butt kicked by a judo or karate or kung fu or TKD practitioner though.

What wins fights is four things: Speed, timing, experience and intelligence. Everyone has two arms, two legs and a head. Those are your tools. I chose winchun as my official art form and spent hundreds of hours for over five years honing my skills. Now I've decided to learn some Filipino arts combined with jujitsu training, purely out of interest. Just don't fall into the " I'm a BJJ guy, I'm gonna kick ass" mentality, as you could come across someone else who's faster, stronger and smarter. We've got a couple of kick ass guys at the dojo, one of them with aspirations to make it to the 'UFC' . He's young, tall, fast and strong. Sensei has voluntered me to help train him. Not an easy task seing as he is 19 and full of **** and vinegar, but sensei sees something in him so we take turns strengthening his weak points. The biggest hole in his defense is his arrogance. He is over confident, and that lands him in trouble...Hint hint.

So good luck in your training , will be glad to help in any way I can. Being a warrior is not a bad thing...

20. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Edit: I don't like being patronized... good luck to you though.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007