The Monk Went Mad

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by MadMonk108, Jul 27, 2006.

1. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

The following was written extremely late at night, after a night of sparring, drinking, wine, women, and dancing...

I posted it in a thread, which, I think I had reason to at the time, but for the life of me have no clue what that was now.

It is overly melodramatic (I editted out a bunch of crap), and IMO...not one of my favorite moments.

But I guess some people liked it.

So yeah...

I sat sharing blood and wine with MaverickZ tonight. (No blood, but yeah, there was Sangria involved- Ed.).

Many of you have criticized him, and many more have criticized me. (Actually, I think he's born the blunt of the criticism...I'm good Ashe...-Ed.)

What you are all missing, is his, and my, passion for all things Taekwondo. It is a passion which extends beyond technique, beyound form, beyond the things that devide TKD practitioners to the things that unite us.

When the WTF leadership says, "No, this is too dangerous", Maverick's the one who says, "Oh really? Let me test that..." but that is not the extent of his passion for this way...

There are millions of TKD practioners around the globe. For too long we have been told that if we don't belong to the WTF, or at least the ITF, we are not legitimate, regardless of our lineage.

Some of us are closer in lineage to the founders of the WTF than the current WTF president.

Taekwondo is an art founded uppon oppression; oppression of the Japanese goverment upon the Korean people, and then the Korean government upon their own people.

We hope to keep the spirit of Taekwondo alive, the Way of Hand and Fist, amongst those who would tell us that no matter our opinions, we are the minority.

We continue to seek the liberation of spirit, from the Japanese, from the North Koreans, from the South Koreans, until we achieve the true Korean spirit of martial arts. The spirit of one who has survived every obstacle put in his or her way. The spirit of one, of many, who, being told that freedom for the South Koreans is worth the oppression of the North Koreans. The spirit of of those few Odokwan practitioners who set aside the Juche tul, because they feel the suffering of their North Korean brethren through their common roots in Taekwondo.

Taekwondo is an art of liberation.

It is this that sets us aside from Hwarangdo, Hapkido, Kumdo, or any other modern KMA.

Do not forget your duty as Taekwonin, people of the way of foot and fist. Please do not forget, that in every founder of Taekwondo, Dangsudo, or Kongsudo, be you Odokwan, Moodukkkwan, or Chungdokwan...

The founders of your art sought to teach a free Korean people...

And as long as those in the North suffer in bondage, and those in the South are not told the truth...

Your art is not whole.

Help us.

Help us restore one, true Korean spirit, to which there is no boundary.

Do not let us stand alone against the oppresors.

(Almost brought a tear to my eye and a gag to my throat...someone take my keys away...-Ed.)

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I'll need the name of that Sangria you were drinking ;)

3. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

Special mix, from our favorite bartender.

4. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Damn. After that I almost want to sign up for TKD.

Almost.

Still I've got a lighter out and on as I read that. *Insert the old "Must Spread More Rep Around" statement here*

- Matt

5. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

I would like some of that.

Nice thread by the way.

6. MadMonk108

I can't remember what she was putting in it, but it had a lot of wine, and a lot of brandy...

And the other bartender was pouring us FREE kamikaze shots...

It was a good night.

Did I mention the sangria was free too?

My TKD is almighty.

7. Damn Monk. I thought that was gonna be a tale of you decking somebody. :D

I'm part of your fan club right? :p

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Dang, I'm with KC on this one. Sounds like he's throwing some tequila or something in the mix....

9. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

If you call her a "he" again, I will come over there and slap you so hard it will cause a rip in space-time and send you to next week.

10. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

MaverickZ: Personally I blame you for this, Monk is usually such a sweet guy, I'm sure he wouldn't go out and get drunk without some form of band influence.

Edit: Actually I'm just grumpy because I was up till 4.00 this morning with my friend who was wated, difference being instead of long discussions on the nature of freedom and the unity of man I got to check his breathing every few minutes while he intermitently paid hommage to the all-mighty Ralph at his porcelain alter.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  11. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

I promote bad behavior. But only because it's oh so fun.

12. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... female bartenders rule ;)

(still waiting to hear the tale of "the beating" ... keeping those Gemma pics on hold till then ;) )

13. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

So, can we call that the Taekwonin Manifesto?

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

HEEEEEYYYYY, Slindsey called her a he and didn't get a thrashing!!! Sorry, I never checked the bio....I'm sure she's a sweet, quiet, feminine little thing. When she's not on the liquor..... :D

You have permission to smack me for that one too....... :cry:

And in checking the bio, she/he WON'T TELL US!!

15. MadMonk108

Hahaha...thanks Matt...

16. MadMonk108

Dude, it won't let me put anyone else's name in there because of space constraints!

Hmmm....maybe a "Mad Monk Fan Club" thread?

17. MadMonk108

Yup...I'm my normal sweet self unless there's some band influence....those damn dirty rock stars...

18. MadMonk108

Actually...this isn't that bad...

I just got really dramatic and waxed poetical on the love of my life, TKD.

I really embarassed myself over on Bullshido at about the same time.

And unfortunately, they don't let you edit your posts there after two hours.

19. MadMonk108

It's a tag team and this local Chinese bar, cute white girl, cute Chinese girl...both with the same name.

They know how to keep a brother happy.

Heh...the originals got me in enough trouble as it is...

The beating was a sparring match between me and a buddy of mine who also admins a techie forum...nothing major...except he fights like drunken chicken.

20. MadMonk108

That's just the abbreviated manifesto.