The Minotaur: The Singh Family Wooden Dummy

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ANGELSGYMSINGH, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Well I may not agree with all of that but thanks for the honesty.

Cheers.

:)

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Regardless of how you use I have to give props out to a fellow bat'leth owner!

3. ANGELSGYMSINGH

ANGELSGYMSINGH Valued Member

Enough

It is called a Minotaur. It is not name dropping it is letting people know of my martial backround. I did not say you knew nothing. I said that you were probably not with alot of formal training. I added that that was ok as Jon Jones is the UFC Champion with very little formal training... However, Jon Jones could not be have alot of weight put on comments concerning the Minotaur because it is outside of his experiences as a martial artist. It is kinda like what happened Randy Couture was asked why his fighter was knocked out by a kick taught to Lyota Machida by Steven Segal ... He had no comment... he could not ... it was outside of his experiences ...

You are being insulting and I am trying very hard to be courteous. As cruel as it may seem the Minotaur, its development, application and impact on our community may be beyond your experience set. It will most likely be in Europe within the year so I suggest you engage one and see what you think. If you are a highly skilled adept and it is easilt handles by you on the first attempt then your doubts will be substantiated. Until then please escuse me if I ignore your posts until your comportment is more appropriate... again Respect but enough is enough....

4. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Thanks for your video, I can see what you are referring to, and why you say what you say.

Cheers

5. ANGELSGYMSINGH

Just to be fair to Robinhood.. I will show you mine if you show me yours... lol... here is some variations on the Wu Fast form and Sword form. I learned them from a very nice man and Sifu.. Donald Walth... I know he hated my integrated approach but he trained me anyway and I give him props for allowing me to stay with him as long as I did.... He knew i would integrate what he taught me into my own system but without him I would not have a basis for understanding the value of silk reeling and fajin or circle and point.... I would also not have been able to understand how important weapons are to correct formand function... not that this vid shows perfection ... it does show an old man trying hard to be so... lol .. please enjoy.. oh... because it is not Wu Style in its formal sense I realize that it has too much western stuff in it for that.... So the Term Pyrric is used.... Warlike Dance... This name has stuck for my system of forms.... at present there are only two and I doubt there will be more than two based on the practicality of that number as shown to me by Sifu Walth and his Ying Jow Pai Wu Box Style Taiji Quan...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWSK9r58RMs"]The Pyrric Beauty of Internal Pugilism - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Sorry just thought this information was some good trivia: Jon Jones was a state champion high school wrestler and had quite a bit of formal training.
    and Machida also confirmed that the kick was already part of his repetoire but it was something segal focused on not taught him.

7. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Thanks, nice video. You have a lot of energy.

I would share, but I don't do forms, I guess I am formless, or maybe more of shape shifter.

I only do more silk reeling with simple Tai Chi internal path for single practice.

I am probably to lazy to do forms, I did Kenpo forms for years over 30 years ago, and WC sets after that for years.

I have a few students that have been doing Tai-Chi sets for many years, I will correct their sets if they ask, but I don't know them, so I correct their posture and energy flow.

Hey, again thanks for the video.

Hey, Why is the Gym called "Angel" ?, nic name?

Cheers

8. ANGELSGYMSINGH

Man you must be a beast

Well brother... I reintroduced the Gada into my Squatted-Brassring Regimen. I only could do 20 left and 20 right with 12 pounds. I did them between the 400 strokes of Brass Ring Reps then stood up an repeated the exercise after performing the kuji kuri. I will try 40 spins next week but man.... you must be a beast if you do hundreds of these things. I am very very greatefull for your gift of knowledge about this tool... I will work it until I can do 100 in a set. I will be very ready for Guinness....

What is the Indian standard for reps using this tool?

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2012/04/20/the-encyclopedia-of-indian-physical-culture/

this link might help explain many of the indian training tools.
    it's also got a good portion on indian MAs; gatka, lathi and wrestling among other things.

its a very cool book and should have the gada listed in there

10. ANGELSGYMSINGH

I did not know that... I had heard that he did alot of wrestling at home in his big sports story of his rise to the championship.... I know that if he engaged the Minotaur he would know its worth but not sure he would understand it without touching it but I could be wrong... Machida would definitely understand the value of the Minotaur without touching it... His style is all circles and point and hand and foot arriving at the same time .. well at least before he fought Jones.... lol... But he was not preped well for that fight conditioning wise... he did give Jones problems in the 1st round with his circling and explosive striking when he had the flank....

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Do you mean kuji kiri?

If so who did you study under to learn this?

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Excellent bit of footage there showing more interesting bits of Chinese physical culture! Do you have any more information on the two pieces of kit used there? The pole suspended on bungee cables and that big orb that is suspended that looks brilliant! I'm curious about the weight of it. From the looks of it not too heavy as it's probably hollow. Any background on this would be greatly appreciated! :hat:

14. ANGELSGYMSINGH

Goodmorning Dean. No one you would know. He was my first spiritual teacher who I met while in grad school. Owned a small book store. told me one day I would find a need for it in my work. He was right. If I miss spelled I am sorry. Are these mudras important to your regimens? Have you found thm useful?

I have found them very useful in ways associated in manipulating my heart chakra when performing kumbaka. The mantras have become part of my breath inhalation, retention, exhalation count along with a vedic indian chant that when coupled seem to sharpen my intention and resolve. During Forms and healing work I have come to recite the Kuji Kiri and it has tremendous effects. I have used it while working the Minotaur when doing small circle expresions of the first four gates (Wardoff, rollback, press and push) and when walking the circle. Again if I sink into a posture mntally as well as physically while reciting this mantra I raise the spirit through the heart chakra.... then I listen and focus on accupoints related to the extraordinary meridian junctures... the heart beat settles on those points in breath retention and I recite the mantra with each heart pulse felt at that point... It is very invigorating.I have been filmed while I was using the technique during a Hard Qigong session wherein after each held posture I then performed Silk reeling.... towards the end of the session on the vid some really interesting physical movements were manifested. I will share the vid with you. That vid was some time ago and th effects have grown since but it would be inappropriate to share them in this forum.

I have experimented and researched the associations of mandalas or discharging energies of the subtle bodies into an object or a person using the Kuji Kuri. My current Master Yogi Khandi Madama may get around to guiding my skills towards refinement but right now she is helping me refine some taoist and vedic breathing methods for the Yin Organs. She is very good and has many book out... one of them is on practical yoga for MMA practitioners ...

A far as studying under people to learn esoteric knowledge... hmmm... I believe when the student is ready the teacher appears. The teacher comes in many forms dependent upon the skill of the adept. No matter what my titles are I consider myself a Chela whether I am blessed with a physical teacher, a teacher from whos published work I can understand and apply to current knowledge or the inner teacher which is so important. It is important because instincts are very important when manipulating the subtle bodies.

For example coming onto MAP with this information on the Minotaur. I was warned against it.I am still being warned against it by my students, peers and advisors... But ridicule keeps ya humble or at least shows the holes in character when you think you are balanced but you are rally unstable... lol... plus I can not get without giving and sharing with this forum may be rough at times but I learn things about myself and the effects of my work on other Martial Artists that are invaluable. I even learn that some things should not be shared... but that for me is a hard lesson that is ongoing....

I met Dr. & Grandmaster Gary Stier through this forum and he reintroduced me to the importance of Internal skill cultivation through many conversations. I wish he would publish a book on his knowledge because it could inspire others as it has inspired me to attempt to reach geater potential. He hipped me to two books that have spawned a alchemist's dream of a library and I am glad that I gave him props in my early pubs in video and articles. The first was The Science of Pranayama... this book you can get for free online ... and the second book which is a standard but not so easy to find FOR FREE in translation ... the Yellow Emperor's Accupouncture Book. My stiff ass can finally sit in the perfect and prosperous asanas... lol .. but I had to get other books to learn about how to interpret that knowledge of the Yellow Emperor book. However his inspiration has gotten me caught up with my station ... no more sickness.... no more meds... no more meat... aging reversing ... still got bald spots though... lol... but my life has finally taken the path of least resistance... the path of Heaven... He is the latst group of people who have helped me reach this point....

Yeah I am a flower child now.... lol ... Hopefully the Minotaur is the last manifestation of the shadow body now externalized and healing self and coaching others to do the same will be the energies I abound in... The Kuji Kiri cuts both ways in this sense and if you have knowledge of its healing value I would love to hear it and learn from you.... Here is the vid ... at about 13 mins the phenom occurs in movement....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNeP6P6bcYo"]Wuwater Tigerboxing: Qigong I - YouTube[/ame]

15. ANGELSGYMSINGH

The Wu rules... lol

Thanks for presenting this. In a past post I had discussed this as it was a part of my research when training with Sifu Don Walth of the Ying Jow Pai Wu "Box" Style Taiji Quan. I was drawn to the fact that this adept had obvious silkreeling skills and even moved in circular foot patterns... at least when performing on his pushhands devices. The idea that hand and foot moved together and the strong root fascinated me. The style taught to me was not so versatile and in fact I believed with some time that the transmision to the West was missing something.

When I showed this video to my teacher he said that it was a different style and that it was a circular style of Wu. I asked him why the Two ways? He said preference of people. I asked him if I could smooth out my style that he taught and make it moe circular. He said ... no... lol.... but in secret I did just that... But in the course of doing so I asked him to please show me, at a minimum, the eight gates and 5 steps of Taiji that was in the fast or long forms. He really had never broken it down to that level before... So I began to do that. I found the form lacking the very powerful postures of the original 13 methods but I also saw that the form could be opened up to a smaller circle inclusion of the 13 methods... very easily... I also saw an opportunity to add the basic strikes of western boxing.... I did this because I believed that the Seven Stars and the 6 Methods and the Fiv Steps would work together to make a more powerful fighting method and also a more alchemically healthier form of exercise... This was true because the postures came from the Wuji/Taijitu/Wuxing/Bagua Symbol of Fu Xi.... So I tested my hypothosis after seeing and studying Wu Ma Yeuang's Fast Form:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zlp5E0-fes"]Wuwater Boxing Short Form (100 Schools of Thought) - YouTube[/ame]

It was after this that I began to train in the Tiger Method of conditioning as its elemental power was coming out of the form evolutions I was experiencing. The need to work with someone was becoming strong but what was stronger was the elements of the Tiger ansd Water and after seeing what a tiger could do in water I was hooked on mastering such skills as they seemed the perfect way to harmonize stillness and motion. The Internal Artists from the UK Damien Mitchell and Zoce from Hong Kong said I may have something and should continue to explore and so I did:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_-jhQyBRHo"]Singh Family Elemental Pyrric: Heaven & Earth - YouTube[/ame]

Still... the need to feel and handle an elemental force in discharging and collecting energy was becoming more and more important. I would look back on the video you have shown and see that I needed to build something that could do what I saw in the video but on a singular scale that included walking the circle. I thought that what I saw in the Jet Li Video Taiji Master would do fine but there were nothing like that to buy. I was using the spinning Shaolin Dummy so much that it began to sway back and forth.... I began silkreeling with it and walking around it... This is what gave me the idea to design something that assumes the form of motion instead of the form of a human.... The weeble Wobble Idea was the basis for building the Minotaur... Form and Funftional necessity in the engineeering was based on how I moved as a Wuwater Tigerboxer and what it took for me to translate that form when transitioning to a device that resisted yet followed my movements.... like water... but if any linear force was dirrected at it the inner strength would harm the unconditioned....

I found that Water and fire were good elemental guides for internal skill development but that metal and wood were the best guides to condition externally. That led to the intense Brass Ring training and now thanks to Hannible I can add the Gada training to help me better condition the body for optimum Circle Point expression... I am positive that this flow of etimology was how the older masters created their styles and mad them effective .... I am even sure that somewhere in the past a Minotaur was created to do exactly what I am doing with it..... I jsut wish I could have found it so I did not have to spend so much time reseaching..... However, that journey has enabled me to enact the inner teacher and perhaps my meditations connected me to that ancient master who had the same idea, manifested it and protected it as a secret for combative reasons.... In any case it is good to be in the same company as the adept that created the Wu Pushhands devises of the early 20th century.... I wonder why they were not evolved and transmited to the West.... ?

16. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

ANGELSGYMSINGH wrote
    Gary Stier is far too secretive.I have read his posts on RSF and he always steers away from giving a direct answer to questions.The truth is all the information is on our Chinese website but needs translating into English.We have around five hundred high level articles written by the best teachers in the Sun Family and nothing is held back from those who are interested.

17. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Question Mr Singh, you mention a book on your signature, is this the book and are you the author?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Western-Tai-Chuan/dp/1608609200"]Amazon.com: The Art of Western Tai Chi Ch'uan: The Supreme Ultimate & Sweet Science Of Boxing With 10 Limbs (9781608609208): M Ed. Master Gurjot K. Singh: Books[/ame]

Edit: Sorry, found the link on your youtube page, no need to answer.

18. ANGELSGYMSINGH

19. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I haven't read it fully only glimpsed at it, I had an ex who was into Tai Chi, me not for a very long time. But from what I glimpsed of the book, and seen from the "look inside" function on Amazon, your writing style differs hugely from the book and on MAP. So I was just making sure.

Thanks

20. ANGELSGYMSINGH

Sometimes we gotta pay for Knowledge integration

Yeah I know man but everyone has their issues... you and I included.... I think that to be fair... what he does have is the prior experience to put it all together....

My Present Alchemy teacher has that going for her and I have mad respect for it.... She is teaching me something that I have all the books for and lord knows I have tried to put it all together but it would take alot more time by myself... She has all the little things and the devil is in the details... Now I am on a journey that is truely fascinating and purposeful... moreover I have a person I can trust to guide me.... As you can tell I dont have any problems innovating traditional things... lol... probably to a fault.... But its nice to have a teacher for the speacial things in out martial sciences..... Gm Stier is just trying to make a living.... I can not blame him... and I am sure he knows that someone will eventually figure it all out... but we pay guys like him so we can get there faster..... That requires secrecy to a point.... Lets face it... Anyone with the tools, knowledge, desire and patience can build a Minotaur and probably will.... But I ain't Tellin.... LOL

I have never met Gary Face to Face. He has helped me get acknowledged as a knowledgeable instructor worthy of ATCQA certification and he gave my book favorable review... I have mentioned him in articles and in my first book as an authority on the internal arts.... The Chin Woo Association has mad respect for him and he speaks Cantonese and is a respected healer in his part of Texas.... He deserves some secrets because again he has to make a living and his knowledge is all he has.... For me if I give then I get but maybe that has not been the case for him and thus the reason he does not divulge alot... still again it may be because of vows of secrecy he has from his Master....

Do not give up on him as a source of knowledge. In his heart he is an awesome Master of the arts and a natural teacher.... I keep him in my metta meditations often.