The Minotaur: The Singh Family Wooden Dummy

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ANGELSGYMSINGH, Jun 5, 2012.

1. ANGELSGYMSINGH

ANGELSGYMSINGH Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApXmd_CHeQk"]The Minotaur: Mastering the 5 Character Secret & Confounding Round - YouTube[/ame]

This is the Worlds first dummy that integrates Shaolin/Wudang/Greek martial methods. It is for the Adept who tirelessly seeks to integrate the basics of Eastern and/or Western pugilistic methods: The Singh Silkreeling Dummy is called the Minotaur. It is based on the mythic labrynth of movement that brought Theseus, the son of Poisidon to conquer the Minotaur, Aserion, and find his way home. It is inspired by Wu Mengxia's annotations on the Training, Dilligence Eight Word Method, Empty/Full & Confounding Round Songs.

The Mook Jung is shaped in the form of a immovable human and as such is designed to enlighten the adept as to those strengths and weaknesses. The Minotaur is shaped in the form of an dynamically mobile beast of irresistable structure. It will always be sunken, circular, centered, and rythmical whereas the adept must be at theior full potential to reach this state of beingness.

The Western interpretation of the Confounding Round Song is found in the ancient Greek method Pankration/Pammachon, specifically "Acrocherismos" or the "High-handed' Pugilism" pugilistic method that Timithecious reportedly used to defeat Milos "The Undeafeated" at his 7th attempt to be the Olympic Pankration Champion. This devise also reinforces th 5 Character Secrets (Calm Mind, Continuous Breathing, Unified Agiity, Intrinsic Strength and Concentrated Spirit that would neutralize anyone with the prodigious power of the mythic Minotaur.

Successfully entering the flank the adept must continue to press the opponent while maintaining a unified agility of wholly integrated strength or localized strength. This means to strike, intercept or evade right before the enemy transforms from full to empty (attack) or from empty to full (retreats). When one attacks or defends using a unified agility or wholly integrated strength issued at the opponent's flank or horizontal, then the opponent will feel the weight of the "Mountain" fall upon him/her.

The Minotaur was invented by Dr. G. Singh, Ph D., Ed S., M Ed. Dr. Singh is a Student of Master Khadi Madama in Vedic and Taoist alchemy and is co-authoring a book with Gm & Dr. Ibrahim Ahmed on Wellness Coaching Certification ... The Minotaur was engineered at LogstoLumber in Marshalltown, Iowa. It is a work of alchemy, masonry and carpentry. The final version will be made entirely of wood. It is 200lbs and is perfectly balance to return to a standup position... It custom made for the buyer and will be for sale in July 2012. Techniques used on the devise will be published in 2013 in the revised edition of "The Art of Western Tai Chi Chuan". It is approved by the World Martial Arts College.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Moved from articles to to general martial arts section to promote discussion.

Is see a few problems here. First, if as you say, "The Mook Jung is shaped in the form of a immovable human and as such is designed to enlighten the adept as to those strengths and weaknesses. The Minotaur is shaped in the form of an dynamically mobile beast of irresistable structure. It will always be sunken, circular, centered, and rythmical whereas the adept must be at their full potential to reach this state of beingness", why is it so damned easy to move.
    It is not sunken and it is not rooted. if it was it would not be so easy to roll around. You have basically created a big weeble. . it will provide little to no feedback as it rolls back toward you, therefore your own energy feeedback will be false.

Next comes the construction.

Alchemy is defined by Wikipedia as "the art of liberating parts of the Cosmos from temporal existence and achieving perfection which, for metals is gold, and for man, longevity, then immortality and, finally, redemption".

Or was it a man with some tools?

I have to say I think it is very poor, and like your last post more aimed at being an advert.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I developed my own version too...hoping to market it in the fall

[​IMG]

4. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

Does it squeak when you hit it just right on the end of the nose, if so ..... I want one! :D

5. Hannibal

Yes it does!

6. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Awesomesauce, I'll take two!

Incidentally, I'm intrigued not only as to what alchemy went into the original dummy, but also what relevance it bears to the Cretan labyrinth and ancient Greece.

7. Hannibal

About the same as mine does really

8. Oddsbodskins

You mean to say that red nose and vine-leaf hair aren't direct references to dionysus own unique ancient greek brand of drunken boxing?

9. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Have to agree with Simon on this one, having no foundation only promotes movement of no force , which leads to flowery hands.

As far as internal is concerned, when outside moves-- inside is still (not internal), I don't see to much outside is still, so inside is moving.

Nice toy though, I don't see benefit by it moving for MA.

Cheers

10. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

I guess I can see the basic point of this. Those flowing, circular Wudang-like movements can be practiced on this thing in a way they can't on a static dummy. But all the talk of Daoism, alchemy, pankration, and Greek mythology just makes this guy sound like another snake oil salesman who wants ignorant fools to think he knows everything about everything.

What's more, static dummies are static for a reason: to provide resistance.

11. ANGELSGYMSINGH

Thanks for the responses. The Minotaur has recieved so many positive responses from so many noteworthy adepts from different disciplines that I thought to bring into MAP. Your perspectives are welcome and inspiring... much respect....

12. Oddsbodskins

Could you respond to the questions regarding your Minotaur, and exactly why it draws from the disciplines you alluded to?

13. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

what greek methods/ martial arts are you using?

14. ANGELSGYMSINGH

I did not open this post to sell anything. I opened it like everyone else opens them: To share the results of relentless research and application. The Minotaur is very mobile in the sense of Wu Mengxia's annotations on the Confounding Round Song, Spiralling Power or as you traditionalists are found of calling it: Silk-reeling. I know you all are very familiar with Mengxia's work on pugilisitc taiji called Annotations on the Nine Songs and Eightyone Postures of Yang Family Small Circle Taiji Quan. A modern but traditional interpretation of this classic comes from Grandmaster Chen Xin author of Illustrated Explanations of Chen Family Taiji Quan: (The Alchemy stuff)

Studying the circular Taiji diagram of the ancient Classics, I have realized the impossibility of learning Taiji Quan without understanding the silk-reeling principles of energy regeneration. The silk-reeling method consists of activating Zhong-Qi (Centralized Intrinsic Energy). Without understanding this, the movements cannot be understood … to guard the core of one's life and the wonderful secret of regenerating qi — once you begin to get good at moving qi, you can protect your life; and if you can protect your life, then you will be able to restore your nature. Once you can restore your nature by reproducing your intrinsic energy and accumulating it within yourself, you will be able to rely on your vital resources. That is why Taiji Quan is considered beneficial both for your body and mind, as well as for your nature and fate. (Xin, Pg 124)

As far as the Greek mythology explanation of Pankration the idea of the Pyrric and Pneuma disciplines necessitated a research into the specialized Greco-roman art of Acrocherismos alledgedly used by Timitheseus to neutralize Milo's the undefeated in his 7th attempt to win the Gold in an Olympic Pankration event. I later found graphic evidence of a European illustated type of Acrocherismos in the Germanic classic called the Ring-Buch:

The concept of Wujing dictates that one follows, links, adheres, sticks and never releases or resists: This is only capable if one conquers the application of Hua Chin or attraction into emptiness.

The spherical form of the Minotaur does this but do not think that it does not provide resistance or that one can handle it without an active and fluid application of the 5 Steps of Taiji Quan; moreover, do not think that it requires little force to control it or that linear force will halt its momentum without alot of pain. In fact if one does not use the classic conditioning methods befoe and after use injury will occur.

Now I said some pretty confident things about the Minotaur. I stand by them because it had to be tested. When I first handled it after alot of Shaolin Dummy experience, my skill was found lacking. With time it improved with alot of Brass ring riding the horse training, Vedic and Taoist bioenergy regimens and personal patience. The insides of this 'weeble wobble" is crafted with carpentry and masonry and it will test the skill of everyone who has the opportunity to engage it.... this is true because it embodies the concept of the Confounding Round:

Confounding Round Song
    The way of the confounding round is most difficult to comprehend as movements that are up, down, following and uniting is infinitely wondrous. The mastering of the Empty and Full Song is necessary to begin an understanding of the unstable circle that transforms to gather and expel energy. Even the linear extension or retraction of any part of the body can become circular through spiraling motion. The greater the intensity and frequency of the spiral then the longer one maintains the power of internal boxing. With this understanding small destroys big, slanting destroys even and shapeless destroys shaped.
    Entice the enemy deep within the confounding unstable circular movements of the hand and palm. This is called Hua Chin or the attraction into emptiness of the enemies leading strength if caused to overextend or commit thinking that one is empty or weak when indeed the opposite is true. The spiraling movement of the body can make this happen by slipping off (parrying/guiding without releasing resisting contact) and now one can guide the over-commitment no matter what the force if the timing is correctly executed: One once can move One thousand pounds.
    Advancing and retreating the hand and foot advance in tandem. The hand/palm seeks to receive, disperse and expel energy using horizontal and vertical strength of the confounding round theory. Pressing forth strength is divided by striking with the entire body (Wholly Integrated) or striking with a singular part of the body (Local Strength). When one’s posture, in this endeavor, is structurally sound (Difficult to find an opening to uproot or un-structure) then unified agility (hand and foot arrive in tandem) makes the spiraling effect very effective on a mental, physical and spiritual level. In fact the opponent will be attacked on these levels.
    The opponent’s center of gravity or his/her grounding is affected with a successful entry into his/her flank. The opponent who can strike expectantly from his/her flank can stop such an entry so heed the message of the Thirteen Character Diligence Song. However, if successfully entering the flank the adept must continue to press the opponents horizontal or flank while maintaining a unified agility of wholly integrated strength or localized strength that keeps the hand and foot arriving at the same time within a posture. If this is happening then the method cannot fail.
    The intrinsic strength that can be executed through spiraling in the confounding round method is found by precisely issuing of energy at the collapsing point of a transforming enemy. This means to strike, intercept or evade right before the enemy transforms from full to empty (attack) or from empty to full (retreats). When one attacks or defends using a unified agility or wholly integrated strength issued at the opponent’s flank or horizontal, then the opponent will feel the weight of the “Mountain” fall upon him/her.

15. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i am very lost and possibly drowning under this incredible amount of text not particularly directed towards anyone's post in particular - i find it very hard to follow

16. ANGELSGYMSINGH

If you would like to advertise private lessons, or any of your equipment, then please either contact site admin, or click on the advertising link in my signature.

This is a video that really shows a limited but very effective small circle yang form that applies the confounding round in a static and active foot application similar to xngyi and bagua. This is of course all part of the Supreme Ultimate Fist. I got tired of being bounced out so I found or rather made something that made me move as well as the masters I have experienced... at least physically.... I found that intenral skill is a must and I have been very blessed to have a high level a master train me... but internal skill is measured through external regimen....
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adg9Tcpz4CQ&list=FLlCwsEja4rTAKxPQi-1l8BQ&index=175&feature=plpp_video"]Liu Xi Wen Push Hands - http://www.gstaichi.org - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  17. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Not selling anything you say .................

18. Oddsbodskins

I'm going to be totally honest with you here and explain that I'm not a student of the internal arts, and am not familiar with the text you mentioned. I'm still not certain exactly what relation your Minotaur has to the pankration, you touched on it briefly in your wall of text but I didn't feel you related it to the subject very clearly, If anything by providing so much information you have actually made things less clear. If you could offer a couple of direct examples I'd be very grateful.

19. Hannibal

Ouzo

20. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

I agree, lots of text, but you are not addressing internal art, only still refereeing to movements this way and that, this is still external and only body level training, which is still good exercise and fun.

Cheers