The Mechanic

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Thomas Vince, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

There has been some mention of being a "mechanic" on the forum and I wanted to address this idea. The mechanic is a practitioner whose knowledge is such that he can analyze, dissect, and assemble techniques this is true. With this ability he not only gains a greater understanding of the principles and concepts as well as counterparts, but can teach as well. If the "mechanic" stage exists in martial arts the most logical next step of progression should be the "Engineer of Motion."
    This stage in a students study is where he or she can not only dissect motion, inspect it, understand it, and reassemble it like a mechanic, but also build on it and from it. At this stage he can rearrange, fuse, or create more sophisticated principles. These could stem from a combination of existing principles, but nevertheless, through the engineer's unique perspective and tailoring, principles of self defense continue to expand.
    The next step in progression should be the "Magician of Motion", where you intentions are to hide and deceive with your motion using all the principles acquired in the mechanic and engineering stages.

2. waya

waya Valued Member

Shouldn't that be the ultimate goal of every student? That to me is the whole purpose behind training techniques is to take them apart and understand them

3. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

True, to do that would be to know how to use them in any way that you may need them.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yes, isn't that the whole point?

5. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

YES! The "shooter" in this case is a "positive" SMILE!
    The point is well taken, that being a "mechanic of motion" is good but we need to become "engineer's and magicians."
    You guys I swear are the coolest, martial art discussion group I HAVE EVER been given the opportunity to talk with, to and on. KEEP IT GOING!!!!!!!!!
    Thomas:woo: :woo: :woo:

6. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Well thanks, and i will say that is is a great group of people on here. Im glad to be apart of it.

You got to hand it to Jack and Forbes as well. We wouldnt be here on this without them!

7. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Waya,
    I believe that taking apart a technique and understanding it is only the first part of my goal as a martial artist. I want to take what I have learned and "build" upon it. I want to be able to build upon the techniques that I have been taught so that I can have techniques based on the way that I react and attack, not the next guy. Some principles are universal, like when an engineer is contracted by an architect, the first theing he does is a site survey. We need to survey the techniques and understand the goals. A mechanic will not always understand greater dynamics like what if my wife were on my right side and I am limited to that type of motion. What i am saying is that the engineer will apply the science to each technique and can change them extemporanously.
    Great conversation!!!
    Talk with you Soon!

8. waya

waya Valued Member

lol I didn't type enough out as usual. That was what I was getting at. You ultimately break down every technique into each seperate move and can adapt, alter, bend, or stretch it to your own needs without thought.

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I love this whole engineering analogy (could it be because I am one?)

Its when you realise that a technique is more than one 'technique' and really a collection of principles applied using a formula. Given a number of variables and a required end result (you live, bad guy sore ;) ) there are a number of formula that you can apply to get that end result. The choice comes in deciding which one is most economical.

Mastering theses 'principles' rather than techniques is the key, because we all know have easy it is to muck up a technique. If you have mastered certain principles then you can adapt to the new situation and survive.

Thanx

10. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Freeform,
    Now your talkn' my langauge. Being an Engineer of Motion is definately where it's at!
    Talk to you soon!
    Thomas

11. waya

waya Valued Member

not only motion but of mentality as well.... the mental aspect is at least as important as the technical. without it you will freeze and not be able to perform at all.

Rob

12. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Waya,
    I beleive that the mental is more important than the mental, and you are dead right on!
    Talk to you soon!
    Thomas

13. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Like a finger.........pointing at the moon!

" Don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all the heavenly glory"

from Enter the Dragon.:rolleyes:

14. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

I have a particular interest in the bunkai/oyo of kata, analysis/application - which naturally includes the mechanics and flow of the kata. I was told by my Sensei that the day you begin to question the interpretation proffered of a kata is the day you start to move forward in your martial art. When you first start you are told this manoeuvre is a block and that manoeuvre is a punch, yet they can be either when looking at the more open -minded protocols of the manoeuvre. (I hope that makes sense!)

Melanie

15. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

It is said that the mind is a parachute and only works when it is open. The extreme requirements that I and some of my students place upon themselves are directed to a single goal. We are going to go to the internationals in 2003 in Boston, Mass.:Angel: :Angel: :Angel:
    So we are training hard now and it;s just three of us and our dream. My mind has been opened again and I now know what is really important,getting into the best shape of my life and being the oldest competitor there.
    It wasn't until my mind was opened to look at other systems that I began to have a greater understanding and love for my own. I was told to ask questions all the time, and none of should ever stop asking questions unless their journey be over.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2002
  16. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

All very good points very similar to Andy Murray's article The Prince of Principle. This is what I love about the forum you can see the same views but put different ways giving us an all round better understanding of what they mean.

Cooler

17. waya

waya Valued Member

I have always been told that the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked, and it certainly works that way in training.
    I tend to get as many views as I can to work into forming my own on anything, especially techniques and the philosophies behind movement and strikes.

Rob