The meaning of kali

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by buddafinger, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Maybe it is because they are such great warriors that they are eating each other out of existance :rolleyes:

Kidding aside, it is a shame so little is actually known about these indigenous peoples and pretty soon they will be lost.

YBIFMA

Pat

2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Negrito

Pat some good and bad information comes from many sources. The Kinky curls come from Africa in the hair. The small stature, is in many cultures, also the world is populated by many and it is truly complex when we get down to the matching of organs to people it is amazing what they find.

Red hair comes from the Celts, true, only one small tribe on the face of the planet had it and it has spread. (the information is David from the bible had it) The hair of the Negrito is a give away the other features may be of China or Indonesia but the hair is the clue. Most are straight haired.

You being with them for 1 week is nice. There is much information out there that I could bring up to counter, anything mentioned all you have to do is find it.

But the DNA of today and the genetic link is there, to the African. The Dravidian is one that is clearly a complicated situation. Blood type is another thing, that is the clue A B O of those three the other is found. The Black haired Irish versus the red haired Irish. The little people of Ireland.

Much verbal and written is there we need to find it. An anthropoligist by the name of Margaret Mead did much to screw up the truth. But it is still quoted.

Each time I read something about the peoples it gets pushed back further and further in time it has to go back much further then what either of us has mentioned.

We have already come close I am thinking to the Arabic name that has been mentioned and the name of the sword. Mother art NOT but it is what is close to the one prior to the spanish. For the Arabics and Muslim were there long before the Spanish and so were the Chinese and any or the ship wreaked sailors from Asia. And they were a source of meat, to the very early peoples.

To believe the Mother art is the sword and a dagger, no. It is the bow and arrow or a blow gun. The Bow and arrow are old, also is the sling, the knife and sword for cutting. The sticks of today are the weapons of children to practice and they have evolved into our sport. But they were also a weapon with a point and poison.

Spear, bow and arrow, and blow gun with poison go back thousands and thousands of years. The various ages come into play, a good sharp fire hardened stick was superior to many things. The sharp stones that were put on the ends was good but lots of craftmanship, the poison was the way.

The animals that are from the region is another clue. Birds were plentyful, fish, and that brings us to the bow, and blow gun, then a sling of sorts with an extended piece of wood to help throw further for bigger fish or shark, a 3 pronged spear, a single pointed spear. A hook and line, a net.

It really is not that complicated and to say the true mother art is some where not to be found, it is all around we just need to stop and smell the indiginous plants, and the answer is there.

Gary

3. Pat OMalley

Apart from dark skin and curly hair, they have little in common with any African population, including the African pygmies.

Sorry but you cannot defeat the facts. Just becuase someone has a certain hair type this in it's self is not proof that they are all of the same race. To assume this is very narrow minded with regards to human evolution as we understand it so far. The Negrito are Asian/Polynesian not African. Much the same as the Celts are not Arabic.

Sorry but the bible is a series of stories written by men who were not of a scientific background and therefore has to be taken at face value. Many of the stories are based on certain facts and events but their is also a certain amount of artistic interpretation that has to be taken into account.

This does not make them African.

Then do so and give us another point of referance to investigate. Quote your information and give us referances so we can check it out to. If you already know were the information is then to put a good foundation behind your side of the discussion you need to show the Proof.

Everyone is genetically linked to Africa if we go back far enough, far enough back that sticks and stones would have been a common weapon, but that in it's self does not make the FMA African or CMA African or WMA African. Or are we now to assume KALI is African after all they do have a beer in Africa called Cali (different spelling, same name).

So the blood type of the Negrito has more in common with the blood type of other Asian races? Evidence please.

I assume you are refering to what many call the Black Irish, well they know their linage, guess what, many of them are genetically linked to the Spanish. And all peoples will have little people, or dwarf / genetically stunted growth. Common in all countries and races around the world. Does that make the Irish African too. Of course not. Unless you can PROVE otherwise. OH! the Irish were once well known for their stick fighting too, does that mean FMA could be from Ireland? Proof please.

And sorry to say this but many people have also been responsible for screwing up the truth about Kali to. That is after all what why we are discussing the term Kali and it's origins.

And the point being? does this have any relevance to where the term Kali came from?

OK enlighten us please.

Proof please.

Sorry but if you read the evidance the Arab's and Muslims only arrived only a short time before the Spanish. So in a time scale what do you consider to be a long time before.

No one ever mentioned that the sword and the dagger was the Mother art, but now you come to mantion it a large portion of the styles and systems beleive that Espada 'Y' Daga is the back bone of FMA.

In every nation around the world. From the America's, to Africa, Asia and even Europe all of these weapons have indipendanly surfaced in one form or another.

So are you say that the stick fighting portion of FMA is only for children? Or is it an effecting fighting system in it's own right?

See answers above.

See answers above.

Referances, Quotes, facts and figures please.

So please show us were and when the Term Kali was first used to refer to the FMA as a whole, that is after all the question in hand.

Best regards

Pat

4. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Pat:
    I believe I have mentioned that it was used by Floro V. and Dan I. Ben Largusa mentions it in Dan Inosantos earlist book....Mark Wiley threw it into a spin with his Books. I believe I will allow you to discover it.

Gary

You mention:
    So please show us were and when the Term Kali was first used to refer to the FMA as a whole, that is after all the question in hand.

5. oosh

oosh Valued Member

"Mark Wiley threw it into a spin with his Books"

Yes because he researched into the matter and found no evidence. When Tatang was asked about his cousin Floro Villabrille's story he replied "Oh that...he made it up" and please put this into context Tatang was both friend and relative to Floro Villabrille.

In the latest FMA Digest PG Mike Blackgrave interviews GM Yuli Romo -

"Kali as an ancient fighting art is a myth. In America Dan Inosanto propogated the word and the myth, and I also rode along with this. It has been a tool to promote the Philippine martial arts"

No one here is saying kali shouldn't be used, instead that it should be used in the right context. Gm Yuli himself indicates that the spread of this term has allowed the art to spread and gain popularity. Now personally I'd love to believe in the myth, romanticism is strong within us all, but so far I haven't come across any strong evidence.

6. Pat OMalley

I have already read both books many times, I have them on my shelf and have had for many years, particularly the Guro Inosanto one which I purchased back in the mid 80's.

Now, Guro Dan Inosanto also wrote in that very same book that "The Filipino martial arts is dead in the Philippines, it's new home is in Stockton California". Now we all know that this was a rash satement made by him without first reaseaching the full details.

I am sure he made this statement on information received by others at the time and I am sure he firmly beleived at the time, I am also sure that now he knows different that it was a statement made i haste.

It is amazing what a lttle reseach pulls out.

There were also statements in that very same book that said that the FMA was influenced by the Rapier and Dagger. Now bear in mind that reseach shows that the Rapier was a weapon used for the self defence of a gentleman and was never used on the Battlefield, the thinness of the blade would not hold uo to the battlefeild Sabre's and Cutlases.

So with this being the bottom part of your reply, are you saying that 'Kali' was refered to the FMA as a whole for the first time in 1980 via Guro Inosanto's book 'The Filipino Martial Arts'? So this would make the term no older than 26 years then?

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  7. Pat OMalley

Let's take a look at another legend of FMA, that of Lapu Lapu's skills of Kali defeating Magellan.

Antonio Pigafetta a wealthy tourist who paid to be on the Magellan voyage, is the only extant eyewitness account of Magellan's death. He writes:

At no time was their a mention of Lapu Lapu actually killing Magellan, we are sure he was their, but the legend of Lapu Lapu killing Magellan in single combat does not hold up to the facts as written by and eye witness acoount.

There is also the fact that some claim that Rajah Humabon of Cebu was a Muslim Cheiftan, now accounts of their first meeting with Magellan have to make you realise that this fact may not be so.

For instance, Magellan is reported to have converted Rajah Humabon of Cebu and his subjects to Christianilty, now if her were as they say a Muslim he would have reacted disfavourably to this as he would as his religion dictacts look upon the Spanish Christains as Infadels and Un-Beleivers.

Also it is reported that to celebrate their new found trading partners Rajah Humabon of Cebu put on a feast and display that included half naked women dancing for the Spanish cew. Another thing that a Muslim Cheiftan would never dream of doing.

It was also reported that Rajah Humabon of Cebu's followers gave a display/demonstration of their fighting skills but at no time was it written down by Antonio Pigafetta that this was known as Kali. For such a thing to be missed by a person who kept a report of the full circumnavigation of the globe by Magellan and his crew seem's he must have had a lapse in concentration. Which I doubt.

Now who is to say that Lapu Lapu was not a Muslim, the fact that he reacted violently to Magellan and his crew can add more credance to the fact that he may have felt a religious right to repel the Christian Infadels. But it is also beleived from research that Lapu Lapu was in fact from Borneo and not the Philippines and he had earned a large portion of his power by being a pirate and it is for this reason that Rajah Humabon was in disput with him and requested that Magellan and his crew show that they where true to their word by overwhelming Lapu Lapu and his followers. As we know this never came to be and Magellan was killed.

You have to also take note that Rajah Humabon and his men did not participate in the battle with Magellan and that much of Magellan's crew remained in Cebu. Whilst Magellan was fighting Lapu Lapu, the rest of the crew that was left behind raped many of Rajah Humabon's women.

Rajah Humabon being an inteligent leader put on a feast for the surving crew, when they became drunk (Muslims do not drink alcohol) Rajah Humabon and his men decended on the remaining crew to slaughter them. It was only that Antonio Pigafetta was ill and remained on board along with a skeleton crew that they were able to escape the slaughter of Rajah Humabon and his men.

A short time after the Spanish left the Philippines Rajah Humabon and Lapu Lapu made up and eventually Lapu Lapu returned to Borneo with his wives.

So you see a little research can and does reveal a lot of misconceptions, also to say in one breath that the Filipino's only past on knowledge orally and then to know that they used sanskrit text beg's the question of, why would you need and alphabete and method of writing and keeping records if you were to only then pass on the inforation orally?

So let's once again get back to the question in hand. Who out their knows for certain and can back this up with evidance, when the term Kali was first used to refer to the FMA as a whole.

The use of the term does not come into question, what is in question is the fact that it has been claimed to be a term used that is older than Arnis / Eskrima etc and is the 'Mother Art' to them.

Those who have doubts about this claim have offered up real evidance to show the opposite, it is now up to those who makes these claims to prove to us that it is not just myth and ledgend. And if we are proved wrong, then trust me I will be the first one to say thankyou for the information and I was wrong.

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  8. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

No I don't think that is the way I implied it, but apparantly you are taking it that way. You I believe have an ax to grind for you talk about Arnis. Your school is Rapid Arnis.

I don't care much where or when the term came about, but since of late the Filipino culture wants to make "Arnis" there national past time. I can see why you are quite desirous of it being Arnis and not Kali. I have no dog in the fight, I try to study it all. Escrima, Arnis and Kali. Big desire but it is really all chicken, just different flavors.

Regards, Gary

9. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

So you see a little research can and does reveal a lot of misconceptions, also to say in one breath that the Filipino's only past on knowledge orally and then to know that they used sanskrit text beg's the question of, why would you need and alphabete and method of writing and keeping records if you were to only then pass on the inforation orally?

Pat if you are mentioning the above to what I said about the Negrito and want to tag it to all the Filipinos it was about the Negrito, not the whole culture.

Now you mention that if something is mentioned in a book that dates it to that time. Come on if you want a good discourse you are going to have to do better then that or you will definitly run off more as you did before. Write a book then we will read it there.

Dan Anderson wrote many books on Arnis. Because he discovered it in 1980 he calls it 80 Arnis (you call yours Rapid). That is when it all started for him but I don't believe that is when Arnis came about. It is when he learned.

LOL So if it was not written down it did not exist, I think the more I read the more I am going to figure the two swords, one from arabia and one from the filipines is the closest for now. But you keep it up and you might find it is older then Arnis. I think so. But, hey! I don't have a dog in the fight.

I am just a student.

Regards, Gary

10. Pat OMalley

No you see, wrong again. I do not care whether it is called Arnis, Kali, Eskrima Estocada or even Ping Pong, to me it is all FMA just the same.

And no I do not have an axe to to grind against the term Kali, I actually like the name it has a bit of mystic to it.

What I do care about is that when someone uses a term out of context such as making claim's that one term superceeds all others, but cannot prove it.

As a matter of fact I work very closely with FMAers around the world helping to promote all three terminologies of Kali Eskrima Arnis both in a traditional sense and in a sporting manner. As a matter of fact some of us are working on a method of gaining sporting and governement recognition for all 3 terms.

Now you see when someone shows evidence contrary to popular beleif, people react in several ways.

1. They read it and then find evidence to back up their claims and then show that person that they are right all along.

2. They do some research, look for evidence and if they cannot find any they accept that because of the evidence contradicting what they once beleived to be true is now in front of them, accept the evidence and chage their veiw.

3. They start off by saying this is the truth regardless of the lack of evidence and then if the otherside persists in asking for details, times, facts and figures they go on the defensive, throw the teddy out of the cot and start say things like, you don't like me do you. Because they simply cannot back up their claims.

Which catagory do you fall into?

That my freind is human nature. At the end of the day you cannot beat hard evidence without having your own hard evidence to counteract it. Getting all sulky and stating people must be against something simply because (insert dumb reason hear) is no way to find out what the real truth is.

You really ahve not been reading my post properly have you, I saying all along
    We all accept that Kali Eskrima Arnis and many other names describe the FMA, what many are trying to show is that no one term has presidence over the other and that no one term is the Mother to all the others.

Just because the evidence shows that there may be a chance you are wrong does not mean the other side of the debate has an axe to grind. It just shows that they may be right, until proven otherwise.

If people cannot prove to you that the world may well be round, even though they the evidence to show it is, then that my freind is your loss. But if you can prove to me that it is in fact flat then great! at least I know for sure that I may fall off the edge.

Best regards

Pat

11. Pat OMalley

No mate again you try to twist my words, You mentioned the Negrito implying it came from them and that they were from Africa, ate people etc, etc. All I done was show you evidence of what the Negrito people really are. I never made any claims that they were they founders of Kali, which is what you were implying in your posts.

No, you mentioned the book as proof and your point of referance to validate that Kali was an older term than Arnis or Eskrima, I pointed out that in that book there were also other statements that were proven not to be true. And I was being sarcastic by stating if your referance and evidence is only a book that was printed in 1980 that already has mistakes in it then...... Well I think you get what I am saying.

Who actually said Arnis came about in 1980??? even I am not dumb enough to think that, your missing the whole point.

If you think Kali is older than Arnis, then good for you, and you are right with the fact that even if it is not written it does not mean it does not exist. Hence I have always said, Until Proven otherwise.

But lets be honest here for e second, you have not been able to show any evidence what so ever to prove that it does or it does not. On the other hand there is a lot of evidence out there that implies you just might be wrong. And if I find evidence to show me the contrary then you will be the first person I show it to.

Kali exists that is without doubt, Arnis / Eskrima exists, that too is without doubt as they are all the same thing no doubt about that but which of the terms has presidence over the other? None they are all the same thing and the evidence so far shows that they may well have come about within a few hundred years of each other. And as for the Mother Art theory, well as I have said until I am blue in the face. YET TO BE PROVEN.

May I make a suggestion. You love the FMA as much as we all do, that is obvious or you would not be joining in on the discussion. Go to the Philippines and travel to different Masters and ask the Question yourself and try to find the evidence and just maybe you may find something we have not been able to yet.

:confused: :eek: I suggest you read your own posts again mate, if your honest you brought a dog to the fight, problem was you brought a Chiwawa instead of a Pitbull;)

Beleiving it is one thing, proving it is a whole different kettle of fish.

Your brother in Filipino martial arts

Pat

12. dhay

dhay Valued Member

Lol... what was that all about, BGile? lol... of course it doesn't matter how you call FMA. As Pat says, FMA=Kali=Eskrima=Arnis=Tong-ting=Ping-pong. lol.

This thread topic is really simple.... please prove/show evidence of the historicity of the term Kali. Thats all.

Why? Because everyone's just curious. As simple as that.

The non-simple reason is, as Pat says, other practicioners believe that Kali is the 'Mother Art' of Eskrima and Arnis. Meaning.... Eskrima and Arnis CAME FROM KALI.....

Hence the research of terms whether etymology actually proves anything... if Eskrima and Arnis REALLY CAME FROM KALI...

No one's saying that it DID..... no one's saying that it DIDN'T.

:bang:
    (its so frustrating when people try to pick a fight but isn't really in context with what's being asked for/talked about)

13. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I don't think I am picking a fight I believe the fight is in your own minds I can not prove or disprove at this date and time, I am content with what I said. I believe the art's are as you mention Escrima or Eskrima or Arnis or Kali.

I have no quarrel with any of it. I am happy to believe that Kali came by way of Silat from Indonesia which was spawned by the Muslims. The other arts are spawned by the Catholic's (spanish). Mother of all arts, if it was here before the other two, then someone might mention that. There are many names being thrown around, the ones I have mentioned are fine with me.

If I walk into a school and want to participate and I say what do you do and they say Kali. My mind thinks FMA, not silat. But some say it originated in Indonesia, so who am I to argue, I can only read and then discuss. If you think it is a fight your mistaken.

It is all chicken, just different flavored to me anyway. I have no dog in this fight. Strickly a bettor. I am betting Kali is older. The Muslim were there long before the Spanish, or so I have read.

But to reiterate you want the term Arnis to be it, I am thinking.
    The whole point is you mentioned Kali originated in Dan Inosanto's book at a certain date, that is why I mentioned the 80 term.

When I think of Arnis, I think of Remy, when I think of Escrima or Eskrima I think of Giron or Cabales, when I think of Eskrido I think of Canete. When I think of Kali I think of Inosanto or Rick Faye, Ben Largusa or Floro V.

It is simple and it is all in your mind, about the fight, not in mine. Strickly a discussion.

Dan Inosanto is very sharp and I will believe him to be very educated. So I believe his side of the story at this date and time about the history, the rest is very similar (strikes) as I mentioned.

I am going to try and find some time to hit a few books and get back to you. I actually have been in a real dog fight on another site and am about finished with the intensity, and will get back to this one for it is much more enjoyable.

Thank you ,
    Gary

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  14. Limbas

Limbas Valued Member

Kali is muslim? An offshoot of silat? Its easy to concoct stories to back up claims but we need proofs not stories. Kali is virtually unknown in indonesia and malaysia. And you can hardly find any muslim from mindanao or anywhere else who ever heard of the fighting method called kali. If you can find one then he's most likely schooled in JKD kali.
    When I was just a kid in the art, I asked several masters about this blade-art called kali and all of them threw me a perplexed look. When I showed them a few drills practiced in jkd kali, they exclaimed... "ahh, doce pares!"

15. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Yes I understand what you are saying.
    Doce Pares is an association, the Canete's have taken over. I know Guro Richard Bustillo is involved it it.

12 is a very popular number in the FMA of today, If you look at 1,2 =3 that is a clue right there.

Gary

16. AK-47

AK-47 New Member

Oh some have :D, my instructor told me he read about this art it in Innosanto's book.

17. Pat OMalley

Well actually you stated that I had an axe to grind with the word Kali, that insinuates that I fight over the word. You also seem to feel I have something against the word Kali which is wrong. After all I was Vice President of the World Eskrima KALI Arnis Federation, I am a member of the Philippine Council of KALI Eskrima Arnis Masters and the British Council of KALI Eskrima Arnis Instructors. I ahve trained in styles that call themselves KALI, so why would I have something against the word Kali.

I only have a problem when people use a term out of context, I would put up the same argument if someone claimed that Arnis was the Mother Art and the Oldest term.

And if you cannot prove nor disprove that Kali was first then really you should not insist in your posts that it is, after all you have finally just told us YOU DON'T KNOW, so why discount other opinions that do not agree with your and in fact have proof that it is more than likely that Kali did NOT exist before Eskrima and Arnis?

But you don't know, you said so yourself. And if this is so why do we not see the term Kali being used in Indonesia and Malaysia and why would Silat practitioners enphasise more on the empty hand combat and the Kali enphasise the use of sword and other weapons? Because the two are not the same, Silat is Silat and Kali is Arnis - Eskrima.

So are you saying that Arnis - Eskrima is Catholic and Kali Muslim? Then why are there no Muslim Kali Masters and Muslim Kali Styles in the Philippines, did they all leave and decide to teach the American infadels as opposed to staying at home and teach their Muslim brothers?

But you may be closer to the truth by saying that FMA is predominantly Catholic (Spanish) It may well be more truthfull to say that FMA is an Art derived in the Philippines which has a Spanish influence.

Someone has mentioned that Kali is the Mother Art, hence we are having this discussion as the majority in the Philippines beleive this is NOT true.

Some say that Kali came from the Word Kalis which is a particular sword used within the art and some styles enphasise that they are predominantly sword orientated and therefore have since adopted the term Kali to make this point clear, but that does not mean that they do not use sticks, daggers, empty hands and other weapons, the same can be said of those that use the term Arnis or Eskrima, the chioce of title is an individual chioce and does not donate that any one style has presidence over the other.

I can understand why some may prefer the term Kali as they wish to rid themselves of their Spanish colonial past, but the past is the past and cannot be changed and like it or not the Spanish have played a role in the developement of the FMA, hence many even today use Spanish terms for many of their drills, Even many Kali styles still use Spanish terms, e.g. Espada 'Y' Daga. But lets not fool ourselves into thinking it was only terminologies that influenced the art, Even Guro Inosanto has stated that Espada 'Y' Daga the fighting art has influenced the art. Jose Rizal a national hero and Arnis practitioner was also known as a great Spanish sword fighting practitioner.

But Kali and Silat look very different and both arts are taught very differently. Some may say but proof is needed or we are just listening to perceived opinions, not actual factual evidence.

It's all chicken Mmmm! yep your right, It is all FMA, it is not Silat and never has been or we would teach the same thing, but we don't. I will take you up on your bet.
    Read the fact's, the Muslims were only in the Philippines a short time before the Spanish and they actually did not reach Luzon until after the Spanish had arrived.

Check out the dates, both Catholics and Muslims only estabilsh a strong foot hold over the whole of the Philippines around the SAME TIME. 1565.

These facts are NOT written by an FMA practioner but are actual historical records, not STORIES.

A good majority of the Indo/Malay or Proto Malay people who settled in the Philippines were originally either Animistic or Hindu and not Muslim as many have been led to beleive.

The evidence is there staring you right in the face, why can't you accept that??????? Is it just becuase someone else say's so, even though they have not factual evidence to back it up. Remember what I said ealier in this thread "Just because someone say's it is, does not make it so".

NO you actually mentioned the book first as your point of referance and to back up your claims to the term Kali, no one else. I stating that on your evidence we can then only trace the term back to your point of referance, a referance that we already know has many mistakes in it.

I think of Arnis I think of FMA, I think of Eskrima I think of FMA, I think of Kali I also think of FMA. It is all the same as the late GM Remy always used to enphasise. And when you really look at it he is right. It is all the same as you say it is all chicken, but bear in mind Silat is beef.

I think of JKD Kali I think of how the term has been taken out of context. I don't blame them as this was the information available at the time, but since then more facts have surfaced to suggest that their version of the term may not be all it is suppose to be and by that maybe they should re-evaluate there thoery and do a little more research to come up with a more factual answer.

Good let's keep it that way, but don't get your feathers all ruffled up just because someone can show you facts that contradict what you have been led to beleive, show us the facts and evidence to back up your beleifs before telling someone they are wrong.

I am very sure he is very sharp and he loves the FMA, he is an individual how has played a major role in helping to promote the FMA to the public and for that we all respect him and admire him. But like you said. It's a story and there is evidence that shows that the story has some fractures in it.

I look forward to it, and I am going back to the Philippines in the next 2 weeks to find out more info too.

Have the Canete's taken over? what have they taken over? An you say Doce Pares is an association, what makes you say that? I am just curious because I belong to Doce Pares too. And on my Instructors Certificate it say's "to the promotion and development of Eskrima - KALI - Arnis"

Don't get you? Explain.

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  18. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Early researh today that pre-historic time that eurpean people at time were cannibal as they found fossils found in the cave .Negritoes in the Philipines sometimes called aetas,mamanwa.Some of them are rhistians today but they do not adopt the lowland ways of livings they barter their products like rattan today the sticks we used to practice in arnis and the fruit of this is good to eat ,they were not cannibals kundi pinulutan pala nila si Magellan pago ra sa iya.Try to researh it there are some institution in Philippines like IBOIbon foundation who reseach the life of the indegenous people in the philippines.Also foget to include that also some Italian and French sworfighting includes but the revolutionary turn back to their native fighting arts coz they always lose the battles with the spaniards just because the spaniards also study the kali and they also hired some japanese swordsmam. SO AGAIN THEY GO BACK AGAIN TO THEIR NATIVE ARTS that they are more expert in using bolo. And searh for the Manobo which is also believed to the remnant of the sri Vidjayan empire MARDJAO KARADJAO

19. AK-47

AK-47 New Member

My wife has Manobo relatives on her mothers side, two of them are in mas.. I asked them about kali and they never heard about it...

20. Pat OMalley

Thank you, some very good points of referance that are well worth looking into. If you have any contact addresses regarding these matters please PM me with them and I will do my best to check them out when I am there.

Your point about the Cannibals, As I have said, some people have spread some misconceptions regarding the Philippine peoples and the native arts e.g. the Negritos a re Cannibals and that Kali is the Mother Art. Now we see even more evidence to show that the Negrito is not Cannibal and that Kali like Arnis and Eskrima is just another term for Filipino martial arts.

It is important that we as instructors do our best to find out the truth about the art and not to mislead our students with (altjough they are good to listen to) stories, myths and ledgends.

Your Brother in FMA

Pat
    Best regards

Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.