The meaning of kali

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by buddafinger, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buddafinger

buddafinger Valued Member

Anybody Know what the word kali translates as? :confused:

2. Peter

Peter Valued Member

Hi Buddafinger

There are several interpretations of the word 'Kali.' My teacher, Grandmaster Epifanio 'Yuli Romo of Kali Ilustrisimo uses a translation derived from the words 'Kamot' meaning 'hand' and 'Lihok' meaning 'motion.' Therefore, in this interpretation,the term Kali means Hand Motion.

Hope this helps.

Gumagalang

Peter

3. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Kali

Hi Buddafiner,

Other interpretations include kamay (body) lihok (motion); a contraction of Kalis which is a type of sword, and that its a word made up by Dan Inosanto based on a variety of sources within the Filipino language which pertainto fighting and which start with Kali i.e. Kaliradman etc.

Bill

4. Peter

Peter Valued Member

Hi Bill

Hope you are well.

The terms "Kamot" (sometimes spelt Kamut) and "Lihok" are, I believe, from the "Cebuano" dialect. This would logically give a translation from the same dialect.

In Tagalog, "Kamay" is Hand and "Katawan" is Body. From the information that you have posted above, do you know if "Kamay" means Body in Cebuano? I am not as familiar with that dialect, as I am Tagalog.

Best regards

Peter

5. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Kamay

Hi Peter,

Cannot help you here. I'm just passing on what I have been told from the Inosanto people; "Kamay, or sometimes kamot translates as body, or hand, motion".

I don't know which language it comes from.

Bill

6. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Kali

Many answer to what they think from there instructor but I believe most are incorrect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali_(disambiguation)

The above will get you started.

Dan Inosanto who was very much involved with using the word and irritated many when he did, feels it is the word, used prior to the impact of the Spanish on the islands of the Filipines.

There is a sword that is called the "kalis" that he believes might be a reason for the name and others believe it goes back to the Hindu goddess because of indonesian early thoughts for the word.

But it is supposed to be the earlier tradition, prior to the arrival of Arnis and Escrima or with a k, that are borrowed from the Spanish.

Some will disagree but I believe if you research what Dan Inosanto mentions, he is correct.

Gary

7. Limbas

Limbas Valued Member

kali in ilonggo dialect means "to dig". It usually refers to a tool used for digging camote.

8. dhay

dhay Valued Member

Hello. Filipina here.

I agree with Peter.

Cebuano
    Kamut/kamot = hand
    Lawas = body
    Lihok = move/motion

Tagalog
    Kamay = hand
    Katawan = body
    Galaw = move/motion

Kamay is definitely NOT body, whether in Tagalog nor Cebuano. :)

Hope this helps.

9. Peter

Peter Valued Member

Hi dhay

Kumusta ka?

Nice to get some input from a Pinay, instead of trying to guess it. The information is very helpful. Many thanks.

Ingat ka

Peter

10. dhay

dhay Valued Member

Let me know if you got any more questions on translations. I can speak Tagalog, Cebuano and Ilonggo. :)

But sorry.... I also can't figure out where the term KALI came from... If its from KAmot and LIhok.. then... we can make it up as 'hand motion' or 'hand movement'.... I doubt it though... coz I don't think ancient Filipinos used abbreviations or shortcuts. These are modern ways of coining terms (eg. TagLish or FiLAm). And Kali is supposed to be an old term right?

Sorry. Cant help with this word. Maybe you should find out from Mindanaoans? Like the Tausogs? Maguindanaoans? Even to the west to the Zamboanguenos. They're all close to Borneo (which is supposedly the origin of Filipinos, including the Indos and the Malays). :)

11. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi all,
    The Chinese had quite a bit to do with the island over the hundreds of years of its early period. Many of the swords are from the Persians. It is a very mixed bag that is for sure. Because of it's very nature the Islands are many many different races and people, for thousands and thousands of years.

Southern going to the Muslim way of thinking and the northern the way of Catholic. But this is of recent times, in the last 500 years.

The time frame we need to go to is earlier in my opinion.

The sword of old was the Kalis. Tagalog is not pronounced with the "g"
    I think the best thought for me at this date and time is the sword of old, the Kalis.

Gary

12. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Kali

Hi dhay,

I happily stand corrected - that is one of the useful things these forums can do. As I said the explanation for Kali was what I had been given by Inosanto JKDers, not something I have investigated for myself.

Bill

13. Peter

Peter Valued Member

Hi Dhay

That's it. I am now inspired to change the name to "Kaga" to stop all this confusion! :confused: :D :D :D

Ingat ka

Peter

14. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Then being an FMAer maybe you should.

My responce comming soon;)

Pat

15. Pat OMalley

'Kaga' Po Kayo;) Whatever that means:D

As a matter of fact in one language of the Philippine ilsands it can mean scratching motion, in another is means Pineapple. Go figure.

Big answer comming soon Bro';) :woo:

YBIFMA

Pat

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  16. Pat OMalley

Hehehe! Kamot = To scratch, and Gamot = To treat ones self. so therefore you are treating your scratches:D

Kamot Lihok = A scratching motion:eek:

You need to see a Doctor mate;)

YBIFMA

Pat

17. langawsacebu

langawsacebu New Member

Bill,
    There is a local Cebuano researcher who went into great lenghts trying to trace the word KALI into ancient times. His name is T Makachor and he has tried proving and disproving the origin of the word. H efound out that it was only a coined word and started just as the Fm arts started to get known and one source was Dan Inosanto making up the word and made it famous. According to M, the word does not exist in ancient times and that there is no legitiamte source or origin in which it came from in whichever dialect in the Phil. Even now, he is open to more information that can satisfy the questiion of its origin. He is from Cebu and had traveled around the PHil just for this quest. I am hoping more info will come out of this forum and help us all.

18. Peter

Peter Valued Member

Pat

I'll bet you've been "Itching" to post that! :D :D :D

Gumagalang

Peter

19. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

This Makes sence of a DVD I saw recently (Kali Means to Scrape) where a Fillipino used this explination of the word. I was always under the impression that the word was not used in the PI, so it was intriguing to hear it used by more than one practitioner in the DVD.

20. dhay

dhay Valued Member

Hi. Wanted to post this yesterday but my internet connection was Messing up..... I saved it on notepad instead... ehre it is..

Let me know if you got any more questions on translations. I can speak Tagalog, Cebuano and basic Ilonggo. :)

But sorry.... I also can't figure out where the term KALI came from... If its from KAmot and LIhok.. then... we can make it up as 'hand motion' or 'hand movement'.... I doubt it though... coz I don't think ancient Filipinos used abbreviations or shortcuts. These are modern ways of coining terms (eg. TagLish or FiLAm). And Kali is supposed to be an old term right?

Sorry. Cant help with this word. Maybe you should find out from Mindanaoans? Like the Tausogs? Maguindanaoans? Even to the west to the Zamboanguenos. They're all close to Borneo (which is supposedly the origin of Filipinos, including the Indos and the Malays). :)

In short... I agree with bangawsacebu :rolleyes: It's either Kali did mean something by itself in a certain dialect a long time ago... or it's a newly coined term which may mean KAmot-LIhok....

Re: Kamot

Yep... it means two things, from two dialects, when pronounced differently...

KA-mot (accent on KA) is Tagalog for 'scratch' (in Cebuano/Ilonggo its kalot hehe)....

and ka-MOT.... is Cebuano for hand :)

Gamot... yeh... its Tagalog for 'to treat' or can also mean 'medicine'...... In Cebuano, it's Tambal.

hehehe.... too many translations going on in this thread huh? lol....

I still stand my ground with the term Kali.... Totally agree with the bangaw from cebu... hehe... :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.