the Lloyd Irvin saga - WARNING: May have distressing content

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hannibal, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

IBJJF wont ban him, But at the very least he'll be ostracised from the BJJ community, and competition scene.
    I wouldnt want anything to do with his school either.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

They're on video raping her and one of them has been acquitted. How is that not a failure?

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

agreed.

4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

''For now, he said he is looking forward to the future and continuing on his path as a medal winning fighter.

"My dreams are just to go keep continuing what I was doing before you know and try to win and many championships as many I can," he says.''

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/1...-guilty-of-sexual-abuse-kidnapping-96055.html

So maybe he will get a bit of a reality check shortly when he steps back on the mats ..

That is if someone doesn't decide to even things up somewhere else in the mean time.

The saying over here is that not only must justice be done, it needs to be seen that justice is done...

I can see things being messy all around for the next while.

LFD

5. Giovanni

i'm not saying that a "not guilty" verdict absolves anyone.

i'd rather have a presumption of innocence with the burden on the prosecution than a presumption of guilt with the burden on the defense.

addendum...

yes, i do think those men are horrible human beings. we're all in agreement on that.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

This is such deja vu - "not guilty of rape because of erectile disfunction" for Lloyd and now the same for his scum students

Sad SBK isn't here to show his support for them

7. holyheadjch

I believe in the presumption of innocence, but I also believe that reasonable doubt, not no doubt at all is the threshold for a conviction.

If this video is half as damning as has been claimed, then there is no reasonable doubt as to their guilt.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If either of those two ever set foot on a grappling mat ever again I hope they draw Palhares and a ref willing to look the other way when joint mangling time commences.

I'm just utterly sickened by this verdict. It's like seeing video of someone having their wallet being stolen while unconscious and thinking that they wanted to give their money away.

9. righty

righty Valued Member

One can only hope that his name is spread around enough that he at least will not find sponsorship or a club that will take him in to train. And without a good club and some financial support his dreams of becoming a champion are much more slim. Please please please try and spread to word and boycott any companies that might want to sponsor this scum as well as any seminars and things he might do.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If he is so innocent why not procure a copy of the video provided to his defense lawyer and post his innocence for all the world to see?

11. Dead_pool

Its already been leaked but I don't know where too.

12. Dead_pool

http://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/1pmvb6/my_coach_a_dc_pd_detective_comments_on_maldonado

His name is Aaron and is a brown belt under Nakapan Phungephorn. He is also an instructor at BETA Academy in addition to being a detective for the DC Police Department. He wrote this on his Facebook page. He allowed me to share it here:

"I have a few things to say about the Maldonado acquittal.

First, the idea that juries are always correct, even when presented with very clear video evidence is a fantasy. I remember the Rodney King trial. They were initially acquitted by a jury, but when tried in federal court, they were convicted.

This leads to the next point; there is a difference between an acquittal and a summary dismissal or a finding of no probable cause. Prior to these two being arrested, Detectives had to investigate the case, a Lieutenant or higher had to sign off on the affidavit that they drafted in support of an arrest warrant, a section chief or deputy section chief of the US Attorney's Office had to review the affidavit and (in most cases) the video of the offense. From there, a Judge read the facts of the affidavit, swore the officers to the fact that it was true and accurate, and signed it. After they were arrested, the two were presented for arraignment. An assistant US Attorney read the facts of the case to a Judge, and a defense attorney made an argument as to why they should have been released. The judge held them based upon the nature of the charges. After that, a third judge held a preliminary hearing, where he found probable cause. He then heard arguments as to why they should be released, and denied that. Then, a grand jury had to indict the two of them. 20 people had to sit in a room and listen to evidence about the case, and decide if there was probable cause. That's a lot of people who are capable of saying "this doesn't seem right" before it's even brought to trial.

I didn't sit through most of the trial. I had the opportunity to drop in every now and then, while on down time during other trials and court matters that I had to attend. I did get to see a few things, and at one point during all of this, I had the opportunity to view the surveillance footage of the garage. What I saw was deplorable. The video depicted Schultz and Maldonado carry the victim into a parking garage. They brought her over to a wall of the garage, removed her pants, and had sex with her. I will keep some of the details to myself, but one of them was in front of her, and one of them was behind her. During this, one of them hands her a phone, which we later learned was used to capture a video where the victim is heard telling them to stop.

At a certain point in the video, Maldonado leaves, and Schultz continues. As I recall, Maldonado briefly returned, at which point Schultz was kneeling over her, forcing her into oral sex. She turned her head away numerous times and at one point Schultz drops her head onto the pavement. After that is said and done, Schultz leaves. The victim is laying on the pavement, half-naked, at 3 am, when it was 38 degrees outside. Metropolitan Police Department Officers found her because someone heard her yelling for help, after being alone on the pavement for something like 40 minutes.

None of this is speculation. This is my recollection of the video, which I viewed with my own eyes. I do not believe that either of them are innocent, or that they were falsely accused. There has been a very small subset of people acting as an advocate for Maldonado's "innocence" claiming that he believed this was a consensual encounter.

Ask yourself; if this happened to your wife, your daughter, your girlfriend, your sister, or even a close female friend, would you advocate Maldonado's innocence? Most of you would be calling for blood. Some of you would even take it yourselves. So if we were to look at Maldonado's behavior, put criminal implications aside and give him the benefit of the doubt, here's the best thing we can say about him... He had sex with a woman who was intoxicated to the point where she could not walk, and afterwards he treated her like a piece of trash, by leaving her half naked on the cement floor of a parking garage, in the middle of the night, when it was barely above freezing.

And that woman? She was his "teammate." Not many people outside of the Brazilian Jiujitsu Community can comprehend the bond that develops between training partners, due to the level of trust that training partners are required to develop in eachother.

...Yet there are a few people who believe that we should let him back into the Brazilian Jiujitsu community. These people believe that he should be allowed to continue to sharpen his skills, learning to choke people and cause their joints to stop functioning. They apparently believe that he should be allowed to do this in the presence of women and children. How can you possibly ever trust this man not to just hang onto a choke, or not hold an armbar after you tap? He's already demonstrated a propensity to do what he wants with another persons body, why should we believe it ends with sex?

Realistically, I know that he cannot be kept out of every gym in the country, and he'll probably be back on the mat by the time the weekend rolls around. So how can I make a difference? What I can do is boycott any product that sponsors him and let them know why. I can hold up any sign I want at any tournament he's competing at. I could, if he decided to train at my gym, choose to give someone else my money (we'd never have him). I can do whatever I can to make him and those who support him feel uncomfortable. There people in this world that I am afraid of, and Maldonado is not one of them.

Remember, your outrage doesn't have to end today. Stay loud, my friends."

13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Interesting. The acquittal definitely seems weird then as that video sounds damning. I do hate the "imagine it was your ife or daughter" bit though. Its a really dumb way to try and get people to think about a case.

14. holyheadjch

I don't know if this has already been talked about here - but Lloyd 'The scumbag' Irvin paid for the defence team.

So not only is Lloyd Irvin a technicality exploiting rapist, he's willing to pay to get other rapists acquitted.

15. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

I cannot tell you the effect this has had on the local community.

16. Giovanni

i was going to crack a 'come on son' joke. but am just so disgusted in this guy. i can't believe anyone trains with him.

17. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Okay, since the courts have found at least one guy not guilty of rape, let's say that these two only had two-on-one sex on camera in a parking garage with a drunken student from the club where they were instructors, then left her unconscious outside in the cold with no pants on. That much, at least, is indisputable, and that alone should be enough to have them barred from ever teaching again.

18. Dead_pool

19. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Personally, I think it's enough to bar them from ever using their kneecaps again. Like a daily reminder to help them reflect on the error of their ways

20. Dead_pool