The Last Samurai (Review)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Virtuous, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

I saw there was a hype thread already but I felt a review deserved its own thread.

I was fortunate enough to be near a theater that was selected for a sneak preview. A friend called me up and told me there was a sneak preview tonight and if I wanted to go. I was a bit hesitant but I reluctantly agreed. Got tickets early, waited in line for an hour to get good seats with good friends (All with MA background).

So what do I have to say about this movie? It completely blew me away! This is a teriffic movie, a total master piece! I already have a spot reserved in my DVD collection for it! and I dont ever buy movies. The story is riveting, I dont believe it dosent adhere to any actual history, if it did it would be a documentary not a movie so take that into concideration. The fight scenes are not long, gratuitist, and boresome (cough Matrix2 cough). They are exciting, suspensful and serve an actual purpose. This film has sooo much depth it just absorbs you. Technical aspects of the kenjutsu and jujitsu are teriffic, nothing over glorified or flashy, just down to earth slicein and dicein. There are a few ettiquite things that were overlooked, it didnt deter me Im just nit picking First movie to ever bring a tear to my eye.

Do not deprive yourself by not seeing this movie, it is in my humble opinion an instant classic.

2. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

I will have to agree with you. Even when I saw the preview for it I felt a tilngle go down my spine just saying - This is gonna be bad ass dude!!!!

( BTW it is based on history but is still a movie;) )

3. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

yeah its teriffic, I cant say enough good thinga about it, out of me and my 6 friends who saw it, we give a solid 14 thumbs up.

4. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Yeah Me and MY friends give it 15 thumbs up! (firecracker accident :D)

5. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

Ever see a TV series called Shogun (written by James Clavell) ?

Tom Cruise hopes you haven't.

6. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Yeah I have seen Shogun the miniseries. I much rather like to think of it as a 12 hour long movie. Yes I did see the parallel's drawn between the two, a gaijin slowly drawn into the Japanese culture. I would have to say I enjoyed this much more than Shogun.

7. Adam

Adam New Member

Wow, this sounds like a great film. I'd go see it if it wasn't for that human stain on the carpet of professional acting, Tom Cruise.

8. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

wait its already out in your areas? it said it ain't coming out till tomorrow.

9. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

there was a sneak preview during Thanksgiving week in the US

10. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

im going to see it tomarrow night with my girlfriend. Ill post a review when i get home.

11. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Tomorrow baby!!!!!

12. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

Bite your tongue! :p

13. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

same here. I know I'll enjoy this film but it's depressing to see Tom Cruise it in. That kinda ruins the film for me.

Let me guess...he is a gaijin who gets captured by the samurai and eventually learns their way of life and fights on their side in battle. (haven't see or read any spoilers)

Is it that predictable?

as one review called it "dances with ninja"

The martial artist in me says I will be grinning like an idiot throughout the film. But the film buff in me wishes someone else would be playing the lead role.

After messing up mission impossible, I've grown to hate Tom Cruise.

14. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Holy CRAPE!!!! That movie was amazing. I even got sad watching it from the stuff that happened.

I GIVE THIS MOVIE THUMBS AND 2 TOES UP!!!!!!!!!

15. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

but now the problem is that you have a broken tailbone now :p

16. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

What are you talking about???

17. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

That was the best movie I have seen this year. Very well done. I have zero complaints! They even did the Shinobi well without making them look cheesy or superhuman.

My review is only one word
    "Wow!"

18. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Went with some friends, and we all really enjoyed it.
    However, I recommend you DO NOT take younger teens to see it. Mass battle scenes are very graphic.

P.S. I'm taking a Haidong Gumdo (Korean sword arts) class - even much of the sword moves, defenses, and training are accurate.

19. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

The sword work was more of a Batto-jutsu/ Iatto-jutsu/ Ken-jutsu. Japanese Kanata work, which is different then your Korean Sword. But you are correctly the Sword work and training was beautifully done.

20. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

I saw it and i give it 3 1/2 stars out of 4. It was wonderfully done in every aspect. The acting, fighting, mood, story, music... everything was awe inspiring. They had some really awesome fight scenes with a big battle at the end. They also had ninjas!